1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Howe much time?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 20, 2021.

Discuss Howe much time? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Given that Eddie Howe is most certainly going to be our new manager, how much time will fans afford him to fix the current mess we're in?

By any stretch of the imagination, winning the league next season is big, big ask.

We're in a state of absolute redundancy right now. Half the squad will be off and the other half are so low on confidence and purpose that they could take to stripping at gay bars any moment.

The loss of Broony will also have a major impact imo. His gravitas and influence in the dressing room cannot be underestimated. Whatever Callum McGregor might be, he's not Scott Brown.

We're also just at the starting line of what would appear to be a major overhaul of our entire football operations. We have a new CEO, and a new DoF , still to appointed.

If that's not enough, this summer is starting to look like it will be our biggest window in years, with at least 6 first team positions needing filled.

The point I'm trying to make here is that this won't be an easy fix.

Howe has a great reputation. He comes to the job armed with a good football philosophy, a great tactical mind, and a wonderful man management style.

But he's not turning water into wine anytime soon.

There's a danger that the hype surrounding his skills as a coach can cloud the reality of the situation we're currently in.
    Anyone expecting a Brendan Rodgers style impact is surely in for disappointment.

It goes without saying that we expect better than this season. Christ, we couldnt get much lower ffs. At the very least I would be expecting to push "them" to the last 2 weeks or so of the season.

But I still think that resuming the natural order in a single season is way off.

So how much time does he get? two seasons? Three?

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  2. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    If Howe doesn't win the league next season he'll be parped oot.

3. Kyogo Furuhashi Gold Member Gold Member

Not a chance

I think the board and fans will recognise that this rebuild will take time, it would be some achievement to go from 25 points behind to winning the league with whats going to be pretty much a whole new team. As long as the signs of progress are there and we aren't in a position like we are this season he will get another year.

4. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    It’s going to take a long time to rebuild our squad and implement a modern structure behind the scenes. Personally i wouldn’t mind if we didn’t win the league next year as-long as we show signs of improvement and had a long term vision of competing in Europe.

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  5. Crilly

I think depending on how the we conduct our business this transfer window we can certainly make a claim for the title next season, but most likely will take him another season to surely get us back to champions. Whatever about Gerrard setting the huns up well this season, we were amateurish in almost all competitions, with proper coaches and hungry players it’s not out of reach for us next season IMO

martin_d and alex_bhoy like this.
  6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

If he doesn’t win his first game I already have a catapult ready for him.

This is Celtic. No time for patience.

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

We will win it. The dodgy decisions will calm down now the tens been stopped. They will still be there, but less obvious ones. Even with how bad we've been, posters have shown wrong decisions, be it no reds, reds for oppositions, offsides etc giving them an extra 15-20 points. Think we will shock a few fans here with such a dramatic turn around that we will make.

Artorias and Wee Baldy like this.
  8. DonnyCelt

He simply has to win the league straight away. Too much at stake next season financially with automatic CL qualification for the league winners.

10IAR was more important to us fans than the club imo.

But automatic qualification with the millions it brings is something the club surely care about.

TheHappyLoss and honda like this.
  9. john2061

Think it's going to take at least three transfer windows so think it's a big ask to win the league next season and you can forget Europe this season with about 62 days to our first champions League qualifier and no manager in yet and no players it's a * shambles .

10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Is the transfer window even open? Also no players are training. There off on holiday. So in reality the next 2 weeks means nothing coaching wise. Hopefully a rush of players come in once the window opens.

11. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    We must win the league next year and if we have 15-20 mil available plus any funds from sales and I think we will.
    What could be considered a success? Losing the league by a couple of points? Not for me losing is losing, the only time I've accepted defeat was in 2003 but I don't anticipate a season like that again.
    That said unless the new manager has a season similar to this then he should get a crack at another season providing we are close enough at the end of next season and showing good signs in Europe

12. Buster

The huns were the better team this year and deserved to win the league but they ain’t world beaters. Gerrard is no tactical mastermind and the minute they “slip” up he will be throwing them under the bus again. The fans might give them a bit of leeway seeing as they stopped the 10. A couple of hun “friends” have said they don’t care what happens now, it was this season which counted........small club mentality

Don’t think we’ll be far away

13. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Invincible treble or gtf

Double Dutch likes this.
  14. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Have we ever had a season where we’ve actually been good at getting deals done quickly?

Normally we would probably sign 4ish players give or take, this season we need at least 10 players. I don’t imagine we’ll be quick at getting deals done apart from a few that Howe will bring in like Steve Cook or some others from Bournemouth.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    By no means writing off next season, but viewing it as one in which progress is the measure of success. Rebuild the squad, have us playing in a coherent system, find consistency and I’ll be pretty happy.

We’ve got a massive rebuild on our hands here, and I don’t think it’s realistic to expect some sort of seamless transition from utter * to instant success.

martin_d likes this.
  16. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Aye he will.

honda likes this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

The time lennon rebuilt us with mcgeady money was about the last time we needed a big overhaul and cant remember taking too long. Howe bout you just take a minute to breathe, we've got this sorted.

18. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Don’t think winning the league next season is impossible but would be happy sacrificing it if it meant doing things properly and laying foundations for 5 years thereafter. I’ve said it before but this time next year the huns will be in the same position as us now in terms of a rebuild so doing things properly now could see us put them back in their box very soon.

19. green-yin

The league is definitely winnable next season. We are likely to spend alot of money in the summer, if we get our signings right and with someone like eddie howe in charge of the team next season, there is no reason why we shouldn't be winning consistently in the league again. Its possible it could come down to the derby games.

20. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Personally I believe whoever the next man is needs and will deserve time. How we have fallen so far off previous standards set is hugely disappointing but we can't just sit and lick our wounds at that one. All thoughts and mentality needs to be geared towards our backlash, our response. It's needs to be a very awakening and sobering reaction for the rest of Scottish football, we need to restore the standards we set as quickly as possible.

Whilst I'll give Howe the time he may need to fix it I wouldn't rule out getting our title back this season either. I remember when O'Neil cam send took over, displacing rangers then was much bigger and daunting task than the one the faces us. I see alot of similarities actually. What this needs to be fixed is smart, calculated but substantial investment in the squad. If the board back Howe anywhere close to where O'Neil had been backed we will blow everything away this year, am confident of that. Make no mistake about it either, if ever their was a time for dwmot to flex then now is the time. Give the new CEO, director of football and manager a chance to put their stamp on it. To go out and get positive headlines as quickly as possible. Hey that automatic CL spot and more importantly put those zombie * firmly back in their place.

Again, Howe deserves time but it won't alter my expectation, I expect us to take the title down to last day as minimum expectation. Best case scenario and I wouldn't rule it out, we come back bigger and stronger