1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

To be fair, he has been available for the majority of our games this season, but Lennon and now Kennedy refuse to play him. This is just another situation that has been badly handled. The fact we are in this position that should we get rid of him, we will be left with basically no strikers as Edouard will go as well just highlights how much of a shambles we are just now. If our recruitment was right, Griffiths would have been out on his *, and rightly so, now we are in a predicament because with Edouard away, he is the only player at the club we know can score goals at the club if playing regularly.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

Cracking natural player, but has a worse attitude than Paddy McCourt when it comes to keeping himself fit.

Everyone keeps going on about how sentiment has been our downfall, well anyone entertaining the idea of keeping Griffiths on after this season needs to have a look at themselves.

I’m not for one second downplaying his mental issues, but for me he has been extremely selfish in regards his fitness. He’s sitting on his * being paid handsomely and doing * all for it. Conning us.

Should be one of the first ones out the door.

3. jambo_cfc

Should have had last 4 games to see if theres any point in offering him a new deal ! On his game hes a 30goal a season striker

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

What difference would 4 games have made? He’s been here for 7 years.

And if he’s a 30 goal striker, when he’s on his game, then he’s not been on his game for 6 seasons out of 7. Only once has he scored more than 20 goals in a season for us.

So much hyperbole gets chucked about when it comes to him. He’s not a reliable source of goals because he can’t be relied upon to keep himself fit and available for selection.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Griff has stated he's fit, against the messages of the coaches but he certainly hasn't looked fit on the park and I don't even mean match-fit. He has a pot belly, he doesn't the same explosive sprint over 5-10 yards that he once showed, he hasn't played a full 90 mins either all season to my knowledge.

The club's atrocious attitude to recruitment shouldn't pressure us into keeping Griff though. It's an expensive outlay on a guy that has now blown 1 too many chances. 3 different managers have now commented on his lack of professionalism and fitness.

Playing for a club the size of Celtic is a privilege and when people consistently don't treat it as such, we need to cut them loose.

6. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Great striker who's always good for a goal, even at 50%.

The problem is we can't afford anyone operating at 50% any more. We need a squad full of professionals giving 100% and raring to go.

That's the only way we can stop the rot and get our club back to where it belongs.

7. Celticbhoy111

I reckon his time is up and it would be better for both parties if we took this rebuild awaiting us this summer as an opportunity to part ways.

Great servent over the years with his ups and downs aye but hes not getting any younger and if the last few years are anything to go off he simply hasn't contributed enough to warrant a new deal.

8. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Wee Griffs on his game is excellent. Unfortunately, due to his own personal demons and lack of fitness, we haven't seen that this season. Although he was one of my favourite players, I reckon it's now time for him to move on for his sake and ours.

9. SteveyNico67

I’d keep

Still a lethal marksman

If he can win over trust of new coach - time will tell on that - he’s a weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. SteveyNico67

If Lenny played him to get him match fit instead of lazyEddy, we’d have ended the season much better off

I won’t hear an argument to the contrary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. murphy88

Near the beginning of the season, when he was getting minutes from the bench, there was a few games where we had been badly struggling to make a breakthrough, he came on and got us out a hole. He should have been given more minutes off the back of that, but Lennon chose not to play him, even though we were still encountering problems with being clinical. I'm not defending Griffiths in terms of his lack of professionalism, because I have stated plenty times in the past I feel he should have been shown the door years ago.

The club's shocking recruitment has definitely pressured us into keeping him in my opinion. As it stands, if Griffiths goes, then we go into next season with no strikers capable of scoring goals. The recruitment doesn't exactly fill me full of confidence we will solve that puzzle either. I think we might need to roll the dice with Griffiths, not necessarily because I want to, but I feel we have to as things stand.

Playing for us is indeed a privilege, and he * all over it when he was in the boozer singing about Skacel being a "* refugee". He should have been turfed then, but we let him off. We should have laid a marker down then for anyone else coming to the club.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    New contract?

We deserve everything we get if we offer bums like this a new deal..

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

was griffiths and klimala not on the bench in our european game where he played christie up front ?

the guys had problems with his mental health but then so had lennon and no * benched him or removed him from the squad entirely

when was his last contract renewal maybe we should have offered him a pay as you play deal, maybe that would just have been enough to help and encourage him to do the right things or maybe we could offer it this time

i dont think hes gonna get the weekly wage hes getting with us anywhere else so maybe some tough love pay as your fit to play style deal

14. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    We need a few players like Griff for next season, knows where the net is he just needs game time, both managers have picked Eddy over him all season even when it’s not justified.

An extension is a good idea BUT the kicker is! What shape will he return in? Because this coming back every season is not on, he will get a good run for his money next season with newer, younger and hungrier players coming In with the new manager. It’s a make or break for him, he’s the only one that can change that.

Even put that in a clause “sign the extension on the basis of coming back with good to excellent fitness, or club can/will sell you, contract void.”

15. wulliebad

In a season where we only played one striker how are any of the other 3 meant to be match fit when called upon for those last desperate 5 mins when lenny or lennedy use the subs because we have * another game. I have always said put griff in the team and we will get goals and energy and effort unlike some of the other * legends in their own heads we play every week regardless. Can we afford to lose three strikers in one window given we will have around 7 or 8 players leaving as it is. It would be as nuts as losing your first two keepers in one season and replacing with a donkey from greece who is then 1 choice then 2nd then 3rd then back to 2nd then 1st again then 3rd the following week.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

agreed

17. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

He’s played under 3 different managers and his off field issues persist which not only affect his on field performance but also that of the team. Under new regimes it’s folk like this that need shown the door straight away to ensure no bad habits/attitudes are left lingering. He’s into his 30’s now so it’s not as if he’s a young lad who can be ironed out. He’s had more than enough chances in my eyes and threw it back in the clubs face every time. What he done last year during lockdown was unforgivable. Get rid and make way for someone who’s dedicated.

18. murphy88

Klimala looked dedicated, the problem is, he was hopeless. It's not just someone dedicated we need, it's also someone with ability. That has been a problem recently with our scouting. I get the point you are making though.

19. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Totally agree and finding that player is the job of our recruitment team who are part of the problem.

murphy88 likes this.
  20. murphy88

They are. Someone done their job correctly though by identifying Ivan Toney. Who was the culprit for that deal not happening I wonder, because they have a lot to answer for.

Gioventu likes this.