1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    1. If he wins the double it will be St Johnstones greatest ever season

2. Given the squad of players & budget he has to work with how can you expect him to make them play a brand of exciting football? Do you think Pep could make St Johnstone play exciting football? That's a harsh criticism, only so much he can do with the hand he is dealt. Unrealistic

3. Qualifying for EL? Wild expectations of a St Johnstone manager, even we barely scraped ourselves into the EL Groups this season. Again, unrealistic

4. Finishing 3rd in the league is very doable for St Johnstone next season, but imo should he win them the double he's done enough to at least be on a shortlist

5. Steve Clarke would be a good Celtic manager imo, knows how to set up & organize a team to be solid, exactly what we're needing, whilst at the same time I don't buy into the idea that he would be negative domestically, I'm sure he would recognize we have the biggest budget and best playing squad in the country which would allow us to express ourselves domestically to score lots of goals, whilst at the same time setting up the team appropriately to be more solid in the tougher fixtures in Europe and against Sevco.

76mark likes this.
  2. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

You're cray cray.

So you think Celtic Park is where Davidson can come to try out his attacking football experiment? Fair enough, St Johnstone have played a bit this season and actually had a go at teams but there's absolutely nothing to suggest he has what it takes to step up yet. Realistically speaking hes probably one more move away from consideration.

Let someone else take the gamble.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    How's your luck @RogicHasMagicToes :lenny1:

All St Mirren now aren't we :lenny2:

Gioventu likes this.
  4. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Please never say cray cray ever again, I do agree it will probably take another job for Davidson to be in with a shout but as I said, if he wins them the double he should still be under consideration if many other targets such as Eddie Howe fall through.
    Guarantee he handles a covid crisis better than Lennon did despite having nowhere near the same level of squad and resources

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Some boy :giggle1:

6. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    So what we are saying is, we should hire a man with 10 months experience as a manager (accept he has done a good job) to oversee the biggest turn around in a very long time at this club and he should be trusted with a massive budget and we can let him experiment whether or not he can bring a good style of football to us.

Wot?

Anyway theres absolutely zero chance it's going to be Davidson and I am 100% that Eddie Howe will be our next manager, it is a matter of when not if he is appointed.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  7. SteveyNico67

Careful... sense of humour is in massive depravity-style short supply in this joint pal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SteveyNico67

[​IMG]

Jmac402 likes this.
  9. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    #AnyoneButStJohnstone for the Scottish Cup

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    ^

11. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Cricket whistles would be a much more effective put-down, imo. There’s a new one for your repertoire. :86:

12. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    On a more serious note, is it remotely possible that we could prise Graham Potter away from Brighton? I’ve quite enjoyed watching them this season as they’ve been much more possession-based and attack-minded.... very easy on the eyes, imo. That Bissouma would be a great replacement for Brown as he’s industrious as * and has a great engine, but he’ll likely go to a bigger English club sooner rather than later. Then again, Soro is like Bissouma to an extent, so hopefully he’ll continue to get game time here and improve.

Like I said, I think Potter would be a great appointment, but probably a bit out of our reach now, given the progress he’s making with Brighton in the EPL (yeah, I know they are still languishing above the relegation zone, but, still . . . ).

13. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    It'll be Howe and he'll sort this mess out.

bobs1974 and 76mark like this.
  14. 76mark

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Elliot
    Fav Celtic Song:
    HH
    Unfortunately there’s More chance of Harry Potter getting the job! However if he did, he could do his magic in one fell swoop! Good choice though

Jmac402 likes this.
  15. SteveyNico67

[​IMG]

Jmac402 likes this.
  16. 76mark

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Elliot
    Fav Celtic Song:
    HH
    * willing

17. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    1. Yeah just checked and would be there most successful season ever.

2. I don’t think that it is a harsh criticism, he can set a team up to get that type of job done, but outside us and rangers there isn’t a great difference in team ability and finances, from what I’ve seen it’s not been exciting at all. Against teams of the same level I’d want to see more.

3. It takes something special for a manager to stand out up here and if he got St Johnstone to the Europa League group stages and performed well it would show he’s exceptional. It’s not unrealistic, but yes very difficult.

4. He’s just not experienced enough or done it consistently.

5. I’ve never seen a Steve Clarke side that didn’t bore me, so I really can’t imagine it.

Of all our managers ever hired, they’ve either been former players for us or achieved something in the game or had a lot of experience apart from John Barnes and Liam Brady I think.

Has what Callum Davidson done a better achievement that Ronny Deila at Stromsgodset achieved? I’d say no. He won the league and cup with one of the smallest sides in Norway.

He could become a great manager but right now he is not anywhere near experienced enough to be put in charge of this rebuild and won’t be anywhere near the job until he gets more experience and consistent relevant success.

18. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    2. You're at it, he doesn't have the players capable of playing exciting football even against sides around them of similar size & resources due to the fact St Johnstone can't afford one player of high technical ability nevermind 11 of them, you need highly technical players all over the pitch to play exciting football, as I said, unrealistic. Are you genuinely telling me Pep would make that St Johnstone side play exciting football most weeks?

3. 'It takes something special for a manager to stand out up here', aye it does and I would say delivering St Johnstone a domestic cup double in one season is the very definition of that, even one cup in one season is astounding for St Johnstone nevermind two which would be an unbelievable achievement, I'd go as far to say that you'll never see one club in Scotland outside Celtic & Sevco do that again, it's a once in a lifetime moment for as long as the league remains the way it is financially

4. Done what consistently? You expect him to win the cup double with St Johnstone every season? The guy has shown amazing managerial potential, if he goes to England and continues he will become out of reach, just like John McGinn, we could be letting the same thing happen with one of the next big Scottish managers

5. Steve Clarke has only ever played the hand he has, if he was given access to the biggest, richest and best squad in Scotland, I'm pretty certain he wouldn't put 10 men behind the ball at home to St Mirren.

Your point about Ronny was a good point, because he did achieve incredible things in Norway, I'd argue however the gulf in finances between Stromsgodset and the strongest Norwegian teams is nothing in comparison to the gap in finance between St Johnstone and the strongest Scottish teams.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  19. celtic warrior

In the two seasons in the championship (13/14 & 14/15) they had a combined net spend of £4mill. In the season they got promoted to the epl (14/15 season) that season alone was a net spend of barely £1mill with Callum Wilson being their only major spend (£3mill).

They won the championship that season they got promotion, off the back of signing two players (wilson and some Norwich guy for £4mill) and selling Grabben to Norwich for £3mill.

That's hardly being well back against their competitors.

EDIT: in league 1 they finished second whilst having a net spend of £550k signing at the time, great bits of talent in Ryan Fraser, Matt Richie and Grabban.

Howe more often than not, easily had Bournemouth punching above their weight. * nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    kinglenny likes this.
  20. JamesM09

All I’ll say is arguing for Callum Davidson as the next Celtic manager is one * of a hill to die on.

TheHappyLoss and Sgt Neppers* like this.