1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I can honestly say I’d be disappointed with Mourinho being appointed.

Yes, he’s had undoubted success but not consistently for some time. He’s also never lasted long in any job and the football his teams play tends to be absolutely brutal to watch. He’s an * to boot and always leaves squads in disarray, plus he’s not one for building or playing youth players.

It’d no doubt be a laugh watching him with the Scottish media though.

martin_d likes this.
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I’d rather have Howe.

Mourinho’s career and managerial ability has been on a negative trajectory for years now. He falls out with players for fun and needs ready made players to succeed.

3. The Dude

Mourinho is on a different planet to Howe, mate. Mourinho is one of the best managers ever. Howe doesn't even enter the conversation.

TheHappyLoss and James Mc like this.
  4. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Howe only ‘doesn’t enter the conversation’ because folk have made the topic of conversation an aging dud manager whose best days were 10+ years ago, and who belongs to a bygone era.

Compared to that, you’re right: Howe is ‘on a different planet’, in that he actually has something current and relevant to offer.

5. The Dude

Nae bother. Anyone who thinks that Howe is a better manager than Mourinho is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

6. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    ...and anyone who puts words in someone else’s mouth has turned up to the picnic empty-handed in the first place.:102:

Never said one was ‘better’. Who knows what their respective records will be like by the end of their careers?

But that’s the point: one’s near the start of his career, with a rep for bringing through young players, and for overachieving; the other is stumbling from one job to the next with less and less success in each appointment, sporting a less than impressive recent record when it comes to overspending on players vs developing them organically.

But, if you will insist on blinding yourself to the different trajectories these two meant are on, then like you say, ‘nae bother’; knock yourself out.

gazb1888 likes this.
  7. The Dude

Cool. Howe ahead of Mourinho. :giggle1:

8. The Dude

Different era, but Porto.

9. ddub11

Mourinho is a miserable git.He looks like hes got a chip on his shoulder when ever he gets interviewed, and you can be sure it translate to his staff and players.

I would hate to have to listen to him after every game,moaning about everything under the sun.

martin_d likes this.
  10. SuperZidane

Indeed but as you point out - a different era (17 years ago). While he has always had a tendency to moan - it seemed to change during his second spell at Chelsea and that incident with the club doctor.

Since then at Chelsea, Man U + Spurs - his tactics seem to have become super defensive and nothing is ever his fault, its always the players or referees or press.

I'd be astounded if he came to Celtic and I doubt it would last long. He has undoubtedly been one of the best managers in the world over the last 20 years but his career does seem to be on the decline with him never staying too long at one club.

You obviously cannot compare Mourinho and Howe's managerial records but, given our current situation, I would rather have Howe.

I think he would be in it at least for 3 years with a real interest in creating a modern structure on the football operations side.

Mourinho has no real track record of doing that or in bringing through young players. I doubt he would last a season - leaving either in a fit of pique or to go to another club.

martin_d likes this.
  11. LubosMagic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Victor Wanyama
    No way jose ya cheating cant

I doubt he'd even consider it we'd not give him enough money in wages or the transfer market.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

martin_d likes this.
  12. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    :56::56::56:

13. The Dude

You want Howe ahead of Mourinho, you daft *. :giggle1:

14. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Common theme: the dim and distant past.

Howe has a future. Your pig ignorant refusal to acknowledge Mourinho’s diminishing relevance is making you a laughing stock on this thread, history boy

15. The Dude

* up, *.

16. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Think you’ll find you’re the one in the minority. I’d take a lot of managers before a guy who’s made a habit of being perennially sacked. Absolute riddy that folk want him.

17. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Sophisticated :50:

18. SuperZidane

Indeed - I really thought that the club were waiting for McKay to be in place (fair enough) before making an announcement.

However, the fact that absolutely nothing is forthcoming from the club is a worry. If we haven't reached agreement with Howe by now - IMO, its not going to happen. McKay is not going to make him a much better offer than Lawwell (if that was the case, Lawwell would be on gardening leave until June 30 and he's not).

I don't think many fans are concerned if Howe doesn't actually start until June - it doesn't stop the club making an announcement.

If it's Harkin/Maresca - why not announce it now? even if they aren't starting until May/June. Maresca's Man City development squad have won their league.

I think the club are saying nothing because they have nothing to say.

If they are still negotiating with Howe - that's a big risk with the Palace and Spurs jobs free - we could be left in the lurch at the last minute.

If we have moved on from Howe and are only now considering other candidates - that's yet another triumph from this board.

thailandceltic and martin_d like this.
  19. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    If it is indeed TRUE that we have approached Jose it spells out ALOT.

Firstly, we obviously think we have enough to lure him, which is a good sign for us but comparatively a bad sign for his own stock. Obviously not US as a club, but the Spl is a MAJOR climb down from La Liga and the EPL.

Secondly, it means the end of the Howe talk. He's obviously knocked us back as far as I can see. If that's the case, * him.

Thirdly, it actually means we are no closer to a manager than we were in February.

Confusing and worrying times.

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    If it is true maybe it’s to say to Howe we have options as well.

Possibly calling Howe’s bluff, Like you say Jose needs to build his reputation again.

My only issue is he is very defensive and parking the bus is not the Celtic Way.

Jose if appointed would pay for itself with season tickets etc plus he wouldn’t take * from the SMSM.

Garrymac1888 likes this.