1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

With the start of European Super League should we join the EPL if the big 6 leave

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by richie87, Apr 20, 2021.

Discuss With the start of European Super League should we join the EPL if the big 6 leave in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paradise88

Makes complete financial sense, looks great for the international audiance, we'd attract better players.

However, we'd kill off Scottish football as we know it, these small clubs live off the TV coverage we give them. Smaller clubs live off attendance we bring them in cup games. Personally I think Scotland has to many clubs and alot of teams could well drop their professional status to part time.

2. Dip 'n' Swerve

agree take it down from the mast springs to mind...
    the founding principles of the club would be trampled on
    why does everything in the world evolver around little England? what is the attraction?

I think it UEFA / Fifa etc wanted to make it a more fair and even playing field at European level they should regress and the way it used to be late 80s / early 90s:

- in a starting line up: no more than 5/6 players from outside the club's country
    - no less than 2/3 players from the clubs' country should start the game

something like that to try and promote grassroots and youth development into squads.

teams like ajax so it without any need, it is their model and makeup.

There could also be some type of new regional tournament - Scandinavian cup / mini league - Mediterranean cup / league etc and the top clubs play it out etc

3. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Look I know we already face enormous racism, bigotry, xenophobia in Scotland but I just don't like the idea of playing in the EPL.

The plastic element would be enhanced and we'd be watered down to make us more acceptable to right-wing Sky scum.

And even in terms of being competitive - there's no guarantee we'd challenge at all, even with additional TV and sponsorship income.

Arsenal for instance, one of England's biggest clubs, haven't done anything of note in nearly 15 years.

Even Chelsea, who've had a rich owner plough hundreds of millions into them, have only won 4 titles in 17 years of Abramovic.

It took Liverpool until last season to win their first league in 30 years, and they've already lost it this season.

Becoming a mid-table club would be a real worry.

4. Maestro 08

The Utopia for me is an Ajax style youth academy. Where we produce most of our first team from the youth academy. Players with genuine quality able to compete on the European stage. This would take multiple tens of millions investment I know but it would be worth it imo. Then an in house TV subscription (I would pay a premium for it, I'm sure most would) that does not rely on Sky etc. A completely self reliant model that is still in the Scottish League but can compete with the best.

5. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Chelsea away on Remembrance Sunday, things could get a bit spicy. :fear:

6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    There are further reports doing the rounds on the internet (unsure how true) about. British super league?

Both us and the zombie * pigs going into the premier league and it’s 4 team play off at the bottom with the new formed championship at the end of the season with the bottom 4 playing the top 4 from the championship.

If you would have asked me this last year I would have said no but now it’s a * yes.

reason being we would be in the spotlight with better opportunities and hopefully an investor would buy us and get rid of that * DD and the rest of the parasites.

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Hate to break it but founding principles are already gone yes the Celtic foundation is their but still be their if we moved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    DD is a billionaire who does * all with us anyway.

Imagine we got someone like the late Leicester owner in.

I want someone else than DD.

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I’m over the moon if this happens I thought I’d be 60 with not many years left before this would happen .... it’s a path we must take if we ever wanna see Celtic near European glory whether that’s Europa or cl

10. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    We go to epl capacity gets extended to 75000 easily give it four seasons we will be fighting look at West Ham just now perfect example

11. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    West Ham are a non-entity of a club. They've had more relegations than success.

To go back to the examples I gave - Arsenal and Liverpool have one title between them in the past 15 years. Chelsea under Abramovic have won 4 in 17 years.

It's not that we wouldn't have the tools to succeed. We could conceivably win the league - we'd be much more attractive than West Ham etc. and in my view just as attractive as Utd or Liverpool with the right investment. However there is no guarantee. We could just as conceivably languish below the top 4 for years. To put it into perspective, Man Utd have spent hundreds of millions since Ferguson left and they've been nowhere near a title since.

Gully Sands likes this.
  12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Whether it will happen is still doubtful but I could see one of the of the consequences of this esl failure being another attempt being made to move Celtic and the now Zombies to the epl. Still doubt it will happen though anyway.

13. celtic warrior

We are a totally different beast within the market of a British league.

It failed sure, but if Newcastle can gain interest of dirty, obscene levels of power and money in their state, we'd easily attract the same interest.

On paper, we'd then be competing with the likes of Man City, PSG, Liverpool, Bayern just for the world's best managers.

We would easily retain talent like VVD, Tierney, Dembele (both), Eddie and Forster, the core of which alone would have us fighting for top 4/6 finishes, if we can invested correctly we could sign talents like Haaland.

We would 1000000% turn into Man City without a doubt.

Not a single celtic fan wants that.

14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  15. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    If we where invited to a British league we would need an advance on tv revenue or we would be relegated in the first season (same as the Huns) due to the fact that we wouldn’t be entering on a level playing field. Without it we couldn’t hope to compete in the first season initially with teams who can easily spend 20 million per player on a few players from the get go
    After a couple of seasons that would obviously change due to our worldwide draw and increase in revenues from shirt sales, sponsorship etc
    But there are 2 other options and tbh I think 1 is unlikely and 1 is unwelcome
    They would be either Desmond investing at least about 100 million of his own money for us to entice the calibre of player required - unlikely....or....2 investment from a new owner - unwelcome as the fans do not want to go down the abramovich/Dubai prince route

Gully Sands likes this.
  16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    So you would rather just be guaranteed success that’s boring to me

17. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Problem being that in Scotland we would still be playing and beating * every week (I know this season went against that but this season isn’t the norm and normal service will resume sooner than later) and that has been our downfall in Europe cos we come up against teams (although not great) that are a level above the rest of scotlands teams and we struggle, which is down to the fact that playing * teams every week doesn’t prepare you for facing a higher standard in Europe

18. Gurru 991

I don't see it happening anytime soon because of all the intricacies involved. What division would you start off in? What would be the response from the other clubs if you jumped ahead of them?
    Neither Celtic or Rangers can develop as clubs playing against lower quality teams every week, It's competition that makes you stronger !
    On the other hand my understanding from other discussions is that Scottish football would fold if Celtic & Rangers left which would be a tragedy.

19. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I want Celtic to be successful and I want Celtic to maintain its identity.

Both of which would be under threat in the EPL.

Becoming mid-table Glasgow Hibernian doesn't appeal to me.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If who ever bidding for next rights wants it to happen it will happen I’ve always said who ever pays the most will decide who’s in the league not the other clubs