1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dip 'n' Swerve

I don't think so - I just think him and lennon never seen eye to eye and lennon and co seem to hold a grudge.
    he is our best free taker , can whip in a tasty corner and is clinical in front of goal when on form.
    I hope he goes to the euros with Scotland
    he is perhaps one of our best shot takers outside the box
    I would like to see him knuckle down with a new incoming manager and given starts to the end of the season

ticking time bombs are the defenders and keepers - start griff for 3/4 games and see how he gets on

2. Dip 'n' Swerve

not really the case we play a * 1 up front against poor teams who box in and make it hard to break down.
    we play the best with 2 up top - griff can stretch the back line - from a goal kick up to any player griff can trap the ball on a 50p unlike eddie who often loses the ball or fall over. also eddie seems to work better with griff playing alongside him

we don't have the people for 4-5-1 we should play 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 keep it simple

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

That would make sense if it was only Lennon that had called him out, it isn't though.

Deila and Rodgers both also questioned his fitness and application.

He's ran out of chances for me. A great knack for a goal but an inability to be available when we need him to be.

We should be thanking him for his service and moving him on in the summer. £15-20k a week that can go towards another striker.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  4. Dip 'n' Swerve

griff never got a chance - if griff was overweight I would ask the coaching team what are they doing in training - is the training intensity up to scratch?

he was thrown under a bus all season by lennon and kennedy - like most of the team they lost the love for the managers and coaches - to thrive it needs to work both ways to help build success, a want to win and bust your balls for the team.

5. Dip 'n' Swerve

I cant ever recall Brendan having issues with him, not questioning what you say.
    I think his head has went with lennon coming in - personality clashes perhaps.
    start him the rest of the season he hasn't really had a run of games - he deserves it with eddie sulking and not performing.

this is not a quick fix - this team will take at least 2 years to try and stabilise.
    sunday was the last straw - we needed 2 up top from half time, but lennedy stands with his jacket looking sombre doing sweet * all.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He missed Sunday's win over Hearts with a calf injury and Rodgers made it clear the striker must improve his fitness.

"What I've said to him is about making sure the talent is a working talent," said the Celtic manager.

"Because talent's not good enough on its own.

"You have to work at it - and it's a cycle. It's one where, when he's playing and fit, Leigh's very good but can still work harder in training.

"The problem is if you're not getting the games and then if you're not quite on it in training then you're losing fitness.

"But then the moment you're asked to come in and get up to speed in a real high-tempo, intense game, the moments that are there for you to risk injury are far greater."

7. Dip 'n' Swerve

that isn't really a problem with him per say, lack of game time results in picking up more injuries etc.. perhaps if league allowed a more competitive development team in which teams competed in lower leagues the same in Spain etc it would help keep players on the periphery more sharp and fresh.

he was competing with dembele and eddie for a starting place.
    I always thought griff could also play on the left wing at times cutting in instead of moi (who is hit and miss for me)

I could see him at Aberdeen and hibs and banging in a right few against us next season - imagine the levels of outrage

hopefully he can knuckle down with a new incoming manager

8. Maestro 08

Griff is a throw back to when players could get by on talent alone. They could lead a poor lifestyle as long as they turned up on a Saturday but now it's as much about being an athlete as being able to strike a ball. The guy will realise far too late. Move him on.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The quote there literally says he needs to work harder in training, of course it's an issue with him. He's the only person that can change that

Here's Deila saying similar:

"We talk all the time. He's a nice boy and we have good communication. Leigh looks like he wants to do it; he really wants to succeed at Celtic. He's at a very big club, he knows it and this is his chance. Everyone knows what they have to do to develop and that's for Leigh also.

"Playing matches is important, but being a 24-hour athlete is important as well. What you do in matches is important, but so is being very aware of what you do every day in training and away from the pitch. We have a big focus on that.

"There have been no problems with Leigh off the pitch, that's not why I say this, it's for everyone. But he needs to get fitter. Of course that is about playing, but it also comes from hard work in the gym and off the pitch. It's a culture and it takes time to change culture. We have to work every day to get the knowledge into the players."

So despite being called out publicly by 2 managers and knowing we were going into an important season, Griff chose once again to half-* his pre-season and left us scrambling in the Euro qualifiers. He shouldn't be allowed to leave us in the lurch again.

Callum McGregor and Maestro 08 like this.
  10. Maestro 08

There is a reason for that lack of game time tho it's precisely bcos he's proven he cannot knuckle down. How many more chances do you give him, he's no spring chicken.

jimbobers likes this.
  11. Dip 'n' Swerve

he gets a hard wrap compared to eddie - who this season has been lazy, wasteful and missed some guilt edge chances.
    griff often comes off the bench to impress
    the only way to sharpen up is play and get match fit
    he deserves to start every game until the end of the season.
    saved lennon and kennedy in a good few games this season for what it was worth.
    yes he needs a rocket up his hole but he is our best finisher

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

* me, still some refuse to accept that Griffiths is the problem.

If 3 managers question your attitude/level of fitness then it’s pretty obvious who the problem lies with.

Fair enough, give him more minutes in the last 3 games and stick Eddy on the bench. But come summer, punt the two of them. Can’t stomach another season of this fud.

13. Maestro 08

For me that says more about Griff than anything else that he's still behind in the pecking order against that type of player.

14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Im one of Leighs biggest fans on here but even I've had enough of his antics..

Punt

15. Dip 'n' Swerve

how is that?
    I think it shows favouritism to eddie and more times than enough he gets the bye ball - lennon and kennedy don't like or trust griff that is quite clear and only use him as a very last resort.
    I think we should play griff for the remaining games along with eddie
    hopefully griff gets into the Scotland team (I think mc burnie might miss it with injury?) if griff goes and scores a few wither way he will be back on form or we can claim a higher fee if we decide to sell - I would avoid selling to a club within the same league

then again the players are a practice of the club environment - griff , wee dembele, ajeti etc all seem to have bad attitudes - I question a lot of it. the coaches could do more intense sessions or double sessions step it up a gear - employ attacking coaching roles the way most professional clubs do.

what is lennon and kennedy going to coach griff about improving as a striker.

if eddie and griff both go this year - that is big big voids to replace, major money and a lot of luck to hit the ground running. let them leave on a phased approach and by all accounts eddie will go first as he will generate the most money - 15 -18 mill I would estimate.

16. Martybhoy53

He needs to go. His attitude is wrong. Get rid.

17. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    For those wanting to keep him how many chances does he get? Because he will make a * of it again at some point next season. His only consistency has been making a * of things, he’s a far cry from the striker that bagged 40 goals in the 2015/16 season.

eire4 likes this.
  18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I wish I could disagree with you because clearly he is such a natural goal scorer. But I cannot. No way do I see us taking up the 1 year option we have on him this summer so looks like he will leave on a free after the season. Only way I see us taking up the option is if we think that allows us to get a fee for selling him but don't see that happening even.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The only chance he has is it’s possible next season Eddy and Ajeti will be away as well. We have an option to take up on him.

It might just be the easiest option. It’s ridiculous we may put ourselves in the position of relying on him.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.