1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad - Who Stays? Who Goes?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Jan 24, 2021.

Discuss Squad - Who Stays? Who Goes? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Diggler

There is no question this is going to be a big rebuild. I think Bain is a bit underrated, done nothing wrong any time he has played this season. He may stay in goal for continuity. Rodgers seemed to rate him. Taylor also is a decent player. Not fantastic, not awful just meh. In the interests of continuity he is good enough. Welsh looks like he can offer good back up. If Howe joins the rumours are Steve Cook will follow and Welsh could play alongside him until Julien returns. If we keep Bitton and Julien returns that is 4 centre backs. No question we need two right backs.

In midfield Soro looks like a decent player. McGregor is quality but can't do it all himself. Should certainly be the next captain. Turnbull has massive potential and could be a key man for years to come with the right guidance. I think a key signing will be a defensive midfield lynchpin. Someone who has a presence and can play. Will cost money mind you.

On the wing if Forrest can stay fit he would be the best player in the league. Needs competition though. Elyonoussi if we could keep him would be a massive player. Play him on the LW and the man is pure quality. He is not a centre forward. Whether we can keep him or not remains to be seen. Johnston has huge potential I think to be an amazing player- skill and pace plus can finish his chances. Has to stay fit.

Up front Edouard will be gone. Griff will be away as well I think. Ajeti looks really lazy and I have gone off him- he should probably be sold. I think Klimala should stay but if we get our money back can understand him being let go. Again if Howe joins us Joshua King seems to being touted as following as well. So could well see him.

Bain

Taylor
    Welsh(Julien when he returns)
    Cook(hypothetical of course.)
    New RB

New Defensive mid
    McGregor(c)
    Turnbull

Forrest
    King(again hypothetical)
    Elyonoussi(if we could keep him)

Subs:
    Hazard
    Welsh(when Julien returns)
    Bitton
    Shaw
    Rogic
    Johnston
    Klimala(possibly)
    Bayo(maybe)
    New winger
    New RB
    Soro

It is hypothetical a few of those signings but with the right manager- hopefully Howe, he would be backed and with a few key signings in the right areas we should see a big improvement. I am not too downbeat. 3-4 top signings and we would be a different proposition. I just hope we get Eddie Howe.

2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

King is absolutely dug meat. Wouldn’t want him near the team.

Bain is back up at best
    Taylor for me is not even good enough for back up.

I would start Soro

Forrest needs someone else to give him a break like you said he can be some player for us but this injury could hamper his future playing time.

Moi won’t be here unless we get him in on another loan.

In my honest opinion we need 5/6 signings that need to be first team quality right off the get go and that’s not including signings to help the squad.

I just can’t see it happening this summer.

Wee Baldy and martin_d like this.
  3. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Anyone been watching the young guys we have out on loan ?

Afolabi, McInroy and Robertson I kind of hope we at least give half a chance. I know they haven't all been regulars for the sides they're at but don't know if that's down to age or other circumstances. Or if they just aren't good enough for that level yet.

4. Dip 'n' Swerve

reading reports dembele has another year on his contract?
    start him against the blueside!!
    nothing to lose - keep forrest fresh and use him as an impact sub - keep him fresh for European qualifying

5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Young Dembele should have been playing months ago.

People are listening to rumours about him being big headed etc or he could be * off cause * who are clearly not good enough are getting a game instead of him.

Can completely understand that, the lad done more with the time he had on that other players the whole game.

He is only going to get better if he gets first team football and he has been wasted the last 18 months.

Dip 'n' Swerve likes this.
  6. Dip 'n' Swerve

totally agree id have him over christie everytime

he likes to get past players, has pace, lively and offers something we miss a player who can take a man on esp down the wing

will kenendy be brave to start him against the darkside, my gut says no he wont have the balls to start him!

it is refreshing to see a player like him with a certain uncoachable element - he needs to sharpen up and learn but at 18/19 he will thrive with a quality coach

buchanbhoy and bhoy81 like this.
  7. Dip 'n' Swerve

Zander Clark - better than any keeper we have discuss.

8. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No he's no. We need a goalie to stop goals not score assist them

9. Dip 'n' Swerve

good frame and presence, he played well at the weekend made some decent saves.
    not the first time he has done well.
    could make a good understudy at least and not cost an arm and leg - better than anything we have atm

10. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He's been the St Johnston first pick for a few years, in that time he has averaged about 30 games a season for a lower mid Scottish prem team. Aye he's had some good games, so has pretty much every player in isolation.

We don't need an understudy that's 27/28,we have that in Bain and we have youth goalies there to be that.

We need a keeper that can be the difference not someone thats St Johnston standard.

11. dmccourt95

Clark is nowhere near the standard we need, does no one remember the 7-0 game?

martin_d and Dan Breen like this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    * Zander Clark! Behave with that *.

One good game against the huns and we all fawn for him, total stupidity.
    Guys no better than Bain, in fact I rather keep Bain.

13. Dip 'n' Swerve

i also remember bain playing a stormer against the blueside a few seasons back.
    not saying he is the answer - but what he does have is a big frame and presence - one of the most important things for any keeper who has ever done well for us.

the keeper situation was one of the main downfalls this season - shockingly handled - a good keeper are worth their weight in gold.

14. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I was agreeing with your selection until you got to Ajeti. I genuinely don't rate him at all. I just hope that the "new" players are more than half decent as we really need some quality in.

charlietully likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Zander Clark is pish ffs

The Dude likes this.
  16. Foley1888

Of the more senior players we have put on loan how many do you think will have buy options taken up and for what fees.

Hendry- it’s well documented Oostendee want to sign him for reported £1.75m.

Shved- Meechlen want to keep him but are struggling to afford the reported £3m fee (higher than I had expected as his buy clause.)

Bayo- been on the fringes at Toulouse but has scored a few recently. I recall another Ligue 2 manager saying he would be interested if he was available. Not sure what the option to buy is here probably £1-1.5m? Also the other interest from Tunisia so will likely be gone.

Ntcham- unfortunately unless Marseille are obligated to buy him he will be back with a shocking reputation to go with it too. His option is meant to be £4.5m, I think we will be lucky to get £2-3m if anyone else decided to take a punt on him.

Boli- I see he is back playing in Turkey, he did seem to be a regular for that team before injury and started tonight. Again there is a buy option but not sure how much it is, around £2m maybe?

Hypothetically, if all of those players go for their buy clauses (except Ntcham), then you could be looking at bringing in around £9.75m - £11.25m for guys that make no real contribution to the team.

When you add the money from Klimala (£3.5m), the money from Frimpong (£8mish after taking off the Man City cut), Elhamed (£800k), Cameron Harper (£200kish) so £12.5m.

Then the Edouard (£15-20m), Ajer (£12m) and Christie (unsure now if he has 6 months left on his deal, still not sure if that’s true say £3m) sales £27m to £35m.

Thats a decent income from player sales before you consider if Barkas, Bitton, Rogic and or Ajeti were to leave. Saying even they all stay at the bottom end or two go for around a combined £3m, your looking at between £49.25m and £61.75m of player sales.

When you consider all the loan players and Brown also going it will leave some amount needing to come in right enough.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  17. Bazza Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its a grand old team to play for
    Shane Duffy removed all mention of Celtic from his Twitter and Instagram Bios, there's £45k a week that we won't be pishing up against the wall anymore

Conjuring_Obey likes this.
  18. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Would you keep any of them ? Biggest bunch of shitebags ever to pull on that strip. I wouldn't bother if we had a completely new starting 11 next season.

19. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Honestly its a big rebuild.

Goalkeepers

1x New GK
    Bain
    Hazard

Defence

2x New RB
    1x New LB
    2x New CB
    Jullien
    Welsh
    Taylor
    O'Connor

Midfield

New RW
    New LW
    Ntcham
    McGregor
    Soro
    Johnston
    Connell
    Forrest
    Turnball

Strikers

3x New Strikers

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

More data and technology available than ever.

Going for 10 in a row.

Sign the worst CB and the worst RB I’ve seen at Celtic in my lifetime.

Wit a club.