1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

European Super League

Discussion in 'World Football' started by MickeyyMack, Oct 20, 2020.

Discuss European Super League in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Lecter, I agree with nearly everything you have said there, but why in the ear?:eek:

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  2. davidhannah

I hope that Real Madrid owner is hung from a Lampost.

To say, football is no longer profitable, and that he was saving football, while renovating the Bernabau was adding insult to injury. He was stealing the money and the game. The fans need to break down the doors and drag him out.

Jimmy Johnstone once taught the Los Blacos on how to play football the Glasgow Celtic way. I hope the Celts one day again will!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Graeme1888 likes this.
  3. StevieBhoooy!

Would that be the ‘legacy fans’ or the new breed tablet/tourist/prawn tapas variety from Spain or Hong Kong?

Hammy89 likes this.
  4. StevieBhoooy!

Anyway.... had Jurgen Klopp noticed yet that Gary Lineker has stolen his glasses?!?

5. Paradise88

We get fined from uefa for our subs not warming up with the correct bibs on. I expect hefty fine to be carried out for these teams. They signed a deal an backed out probably because it went to government who would stop work visas. Certainly wasn't for any fans or sky backlash.

Question is, does this super league look for 6 new teams to invite.... Desmond waiting in a call perhaps? :tongue1:

6. Hadouken

Rumours that the other 6 aren't quitting, they are clearly desperate now and looking for allies, it worries me slightly because all though its slim its not outside the realm of possibility that they invite us+rangers and maybe some other big team from a smaller league to try and show people that its not an elitist competition, if that happens there isn't a a chance in * Desmond turns that down seen as we've been looking for a way out for years.

EDIT* - NVM Looks like the SL have released a statement saying they've suspended it

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  7. john2061

If that happens everybody to Celtic park and demonstrate to get Desmond to * and think we need a new direction anyway with a new major shareholder to properly run this club .

8. StevieBhoooy!

It would be quite amusing if they invited us but not the Huns....

Celtic and Ajax surely?!?

or

Nottingham Forest ? 2x European cup back to back...

Steaue ? Red star ?

plenty deserving options...

I mean.... Spurs ?!? ‘Kin’ell

9. oh bhoy

so was it all just a bluff to get somebody elses share of C.L. money ,*! its time uefa start leveling the playing field ,financial fair play, champions getting in before 2nd,3rd,4th placed ,fairer distribution of money etc

Drakhan and Peej like this.
  10. davidhannah

UEFA have got 3 Competitions next season. The Champions League should be for the Champions.

UEFA CUP, for the 2nd/3rd

Conference Cup, 4rth/5th.

Time to re set the game.

Cash distributed, evenly. Will it * happen.

11. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Was saying this to my mate earlier, how good would it be if say the champions of 20 highest nation coefficient rankings got an automatic place, then the rest of the clubs from the top 5 leagues who were 2/3/4 played qualifiers, would make the competition more of what it’s about.

12. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Does this mean Levy has to keep Mou now?

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  13. murphy88

If the Super League is put on the back burner as it looks likely now, the teams who were going to join should all be banned from Europe for next season. That would be a fair punishment. Not a chance in * it will happen though, they will get a slap on the wrist and it all forgotten about. Teams threatening to try and destroy European competitions for their own self gain, and nothing will happen to them, don't dare fly a Palestinian flag though or you will be hammered by UEFA.

greengrocer likes this.
  14. dmccourt95

Every team should be banned from Europe for a year fined and start next season in their domestic league on -15 points

15. shieldsybhoy

The fact that John Henry is referring to Liverpool as 'LFC' in his apology video shows just how out of touch he is.

Lets see how equitable Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher and Sky actually want to make European football. To me, this is how you might try and do it, but they want the best players and managers in England and for the rest of Europe to have to deal with a lower quality of product, so it won't happen. Tory football.

- Salary caps for players and managers.
    - 51% fan ownership (I know easier said than done).
    - Broadcast deals agreed at a UEFA level and funds relatively and equitably shared amongst all clubs in Europe.
    - Go ahead with the Europa conference league.
    - UEFA payments not based on European club competition participation.
    - Agreed % of clubs revenue in the top divisions to go towards communities and grassroots football across Europe.

UEFA now need to actually try and filter money down the levels and across the leagues. I'm kidding myself on if any of this will happen.

greengrocer likes this.
  16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Still gutted this is falling apart tbh as I wanted to watch the epl implode :54:

However I'm not getting why some are connecting fan ownership to being something that stopped this - it was stopped by the Media/Supporters/pundits etc. The clubs that have pulled out had no, significant, fan ownership in the first place, as far as I'm aware, so that had no effect.
    The main lesson here, from what I can see, is to pay attention to what private equity investors (PEI's) are doing/up to because they are sniffing about/involved already. Here is a glimpse into the thought process they have when it comes to football, I particularly like, hofuckingho, "Leverage value"... -

"Football offers unrivalled brand loyalty, no chance of defection, predictable and recurring revenues and new ways to leverage value - Private Equities * for European football is here to stay"

https://offthepitch.com/a/football-...-defection-predictable-and-recurring-revenues

FCBarca and shieldsybhoy like this.
  17. shieldsybhoy

Do you not think its all total spin by the media and pundits though? Im not saying I agree with the super league at all, but this came out of nowhere and a certain broadcaster (Sky/Murdoch), wasn't involved, so stood to potentially lose billions that they've invested into making their opwn Super League (the Premier League). They've trotted out their two favourite pundits who are from 'the north' so sound like the 'working man' and dished out this absolute fantasy that these people are taking the game away from the working man. As if the game in its current state has anything to do with the working man whatsoever. They've stirred up the fans into believing them that this is actually the case and leveraged them to take this down.

If Sky were in on this, and at the same time as these clubs came out with their initial statements about the super league, came out with their own statement about how they had won the rights to broadcast it, Neville and Carragher would have trotted out and said that this is the best thing to happen to football, the best players playing for the best teams against each other week in week out etc etc and the fans would have believed them, none of this fan uproar would have happened and the super league would have gone ahead.

18. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    The worst part about this is that no one will get anything bar a slap on the wrist. But if the same thing happened up here sky would have probably ripped up all contracts with Scottish football and only gave us one Freddo bar instead of the two we get now.

19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If fans wanted it, it would’ve happened.

The 51% rule should be made mandatory in football so no schemes like this can be done behind the backs of supporters.

Every club in Europe being run by fans would also make the game far more equal and have UEFA/FIFA challenged properly and their competitions run fairly.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  20. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    All of them should lose the points they gained against the other 14 teams including any still to play which means only the points gained against the other 5 will count.
    So 3 of them will be relegated.