1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

European Super League

Discussion in 'World Football' started by MickeyyMack, Oct 20, 2020.

Discuss European Super League in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. James Gold Member Gold Member

Probably slightly yes but I don't think it would benefit us. The big 6 leave it massively regresses every other team as well as killing a few off in the process at that point the funding and sponsorships fall off a cliff again leading to more finical trouble for clubs so it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest

2. murphy88

I preferred the idea Bill had for the Scottish Sporting Integrity League.

FranceCelt likes this.
  3. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    If this fails and the big 6 come back watch the smaller teams actually the majority slowly start to decrease spending and wages they will know they will try it again so coukd benifit us

4. made in ireland

I think logistically it would probably be easier and cheaper for many of our away fans to make trips to places like London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle etc as opposed to places like Dingwall, Inverness and Aberdeen.

There would also be the added benefit of not having to stand in what are essentially converted cow sheds, listening to home fans doing their best “Huns without the bus fare” routine and watching bent SFA refs officiating the game, all the while paying £25-£40 for the privilege.

Rendog and StPauli1916 like this.
  5. StevieBhoooy!

I loved that idea and wish Sevco would do it... and that nobody else joined.... maybe just them , Hertz, Airdrie and any club with Rainjurzz in their name...

Especially for those of us already down that direction..... :34:

6. murphy88

I wouldn't think so to be honest mate. A supporters bus to the likes of Aberdeen and Dingwall is costing roughly £20-£25. The ticket prices down South for most if not all games would be more expensive as well I would imagine. Then for trips to the likes of Brighton, Southampton and probably London, you could be looking at having to book a hotel and stay the night as well.

7. made in ireland

Yeah, you could be right. Although, pre-covid you could probably get yourself a flight from Glasgow to London for less than a bus to Dingwall.

But this is essentially where the government would need to put their money where their mouths are. If they genuinely want to assist football supporters in the face of the Super League, then investment would ultimately be needed to improve rail infrastructure between Scotland and England, as well spending on supporting regional airports and and other transport hubs. I’d welcome that.

8. JamesM09

The "Super League" can only survive if the core audience of Europe goes along with it. The Super League will actively try and kill every other club because they need them to die to steal the audience, and so their own audience isn't stolen.

I guarantee you, if you expand the Champions League and divide the money more evenly (thereby giving everyone in Europe a reason to follow their own club) the Super League will wither and die.

There is absolutely no way that anyone else in Europe is watching the Super League while the last 16 of the Champions League is: West Ham, Everton, Celtic, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Getafe, Benfica, Slavia Prague, Copenhagen, Malmo, PSV, Lyon, AEK Athens, Napoli, Roma, Borussia Dortmund

and the next season it's,

Celtic, Sevilla, Porto, Bayern, Shakhtar Donetsk, Salzburg, Benfica, Roma, Villareal, AEK, Olympiakos, Leeds United, West Ham, A German Team, Copenhagen, Ajax

That's how varied the tournaments would start to be if EPL money reduced and they allowed the money in the Champions League to split more evenly. All of those teams fanbases would watch their own teams, and all the ones knocked out of the tournament or potentially in it next season would watch it too.

No one in Europe would watch the Super League in that scenario. (Barca vs Inter Milan for the 10th time in 2 seasons.. 1-1 scoredraw, that result makes Inter bottom again, which we remind our viewers means * all again).

It's very doable but everyone needs to get off their arses and stop pandering to a handful of superrich *.

Dallas Cowbhoys and davidhannah like this.
  9. StevieBhoooy!

There’s folk travel from all over for games anyway... coaches and cars by ferry to Stranraer, coaches and cars from down south etc.. flights from Ireland.

In the days when we actually got into the CL I would travel up by train from Leeds or Manchester the afternoon if the game snd then fly back on the first flight out of Glasgow in the morning... even got to work in time next day.
    There’d be Celtic fans in the departure lounge waiting for Loganair flights to Barra and Uist etc... folk from all over the place.

Folk who go to every away game are a particular breed. They’ll find a way.

anywsy. All a but hypothetical as I can’t see it happening.

as for the ESL... I am assuming (being an nfl type model) would generally be home fans only at games so not a major issue for them.

10. davidhannah

This is a coupe attempt on football.

Football will prevail. These clubs will have no where to go. I think England will vote to not play them and to kick them out. The clubs themselves are in breach of television contracts. The big six. Bt Sport has a 1.2 billion deal for Europe till 2024. Sky has England's rights for a few more years.

They will have to back down. The owners have destroyed their reputations once and for all and it won't be forgotten.

The best punishment would be to expel them from their domestic leagues. Ban the players from competing in Fifa.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  11. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Transfer embargo will stop them in their tracks.
    Any player can leave but not join them under a transfer embargo.
    This could * them right up.
    FIFA and UEFA can block any of them from playing for their country.

12. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Remaining epl clubs have already said rebel clubs won't be kicked out but owners and ceos are no longer welcome at meetings, stadia etc. Pathetic. The kowtowing has already begun. These clubs will ultimately get their way, whether that's this league or the champions league set up even more in their favour than it already is.

Xatraps, celtic warrior and limezer like this.
  13. limezer

Where is UEFA for FairPlay for nations like ours, as soon as it’s all imploding on them it’s all about the fans all of a sudden, UEFA are all corrupt b******* aswell.

rudebhoy67 likes this.
  14. limezer

My old man said the European cup knock out system was more exciting, it’s the same four or five teams in the champions league final every year boring.

15. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Just kick them out and give Sevilla, Leicester or West Ham and Atalanta or Napoli the titles.

JamesM09 likes this.
  16. Martybhoy53

The scum should not have been allowed to enter any european competition this season or next season. Where are the audited accounts?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  17. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    loving all this faux outrage being promoted on SSN, sky know that they're about to be shafted the way they shafted all clubs outside the EPL :rip_1:
    sky loves to promote the EPL as the greatest league in the world...... not anymore, the big boys are going and your left with the 2nd greatest league in the world. :rofl:

Rydo1888* and limezer like this.
  18. celtic warrior

Aye, it's been snowballing for decades.

Sky slowly increased their spend in coverage of EPL, the FA also then got even more money than sky pay from other countries to show their games to the point that league's tv deals was worth SEVERAL billions.

That in turn, starts getting the attention of these fucky little billionaire piggies, buying up clubs cleverly, like Chelsea, like Arsenal, like Man U, * Man City, very very very nearly Newcastle, PSG (although they've not agreed to this)

No one then, was crying about fairness as these clubs like Chelsea, City and PSG overspending on ridiculous talent, * arseholes.

Anyone surprised by this is utterly * blinded by their little love in for the billions their club was profiting from - * idiots.

19. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    Madrid court saying UEFA/FIFA cannot impose sanctions on any player in super league.
    as I said earlier, the businessmen have planned and set this up months ago and their lawyers have crossed every t and dotted every I on this.

20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Viva la madrid ! Rooting for the good guys here to bring down the epl.

FATLAZYBHOY likes this.