1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

European Super League

Discussion in 'World Football' started by MickeyyMack, Oct 20, 2020.

Discuss European Super League in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    I’m the same, got sick of watching the same teams every year in champions league, will only watch if it’s on in pub etc

Graeme1888 and The Dude like this.
  2. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Wouldn’t surprise me!

3. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

It's the legacy fans I feel for the most...

4. James Gold Member Gold Member

The FA and sky were happy to sit by and fawn over the amount of money being spent in the transfer windows with records being broken window on window big totalizers showing the amount spent so they could market the whole best league in the world thing but now in monetary terms they're being made to look like the small fish and are flapping. The FA need the 6 (well 5) clubs more than the clubs need the FA. The massive spending has left most of these clubs swimming in debt and now these clubs just happen to be at the forefront of a multi billion breakaway is hardly a coincidence. Salary caps should have been introduced about 10 years ago they have cut there nose to spite there face by giving the power to the big clubs

5. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Power-brokers behind the proposed European Super League (ESL) have sounded out a former chief executive of BT Group about taking the helm of their controversial $5bn bid to reshape the continent's footballing landscape.

Sky News has learnt that Gavin Patterson, who stepped down from running Britain's biggest telecoms company in 2019, was approached informally several weeks ago about the role.

Sports industry insiders said that Mr Patterson's name was among a number on a list drawn up by Super League stakeholders in recent months, ahead of the first official confirmation of its existence at the weekend.
    The announcement of the ESL, which will comprise 20 top European teams, including 15 founding members, referred to the Real Madrid president Florentino Perez's role as its chairman, but included few other details of its leadership team.

Sources said that the search for a chief executive remained at a preliminary stage.
    One club executive suggested that Mr Patterson would be an "ideal candidate" for the job, given his efforts at BT to turn the company into one of the English Premier League's key broadcast partners.

However, his executive role at Salesforce, the US-based cloud software giant, and other business commitments would be a barrier to taking the ESL job.
    One football executive said he had already rejected the approach about the job, although Mr Patterson, a Liverpool fan, could not be reached for comment on Monday.

The identity of other prospective CEO candidates was unclear.

6. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

A lot of clubs in Scotland tweeting out about this, how we have real football up here and are spot on. Celtic & Rangers very quiet, Walker was right, we would both jump at the chance of getting on board sadly.

7. The Dude

I pray that they do. :giggle1:

8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Disgusting setup and proposal.
    And yes, I firmly believe this * of a board would have jumped at an invite to this. They really are on that level of status and greed above all else.

Big Barcelona fan as well so I am, and honestly this disgusts me. Clubs like Barcelona, Liverpool, the two Mancs, all pride themselves on the same sort of club ethos that we here at Celtic do as well - or at least the fans do and the board/owners fleece it.

Absolutely disgusting that they would turn their backs on what football is truly about, purely for their own greed.

Barcelona statement earlier is a disgrace as well and just goes to highlight what this setup is all about and how out of touch they are at board level to their own fans.

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/foot...-of-the-founding-clubs-of-the-new-superleague

Right there, from one of the biggest clubs in the world and this group of * clubs, this is all about them being sick of playing against the diddy teams (in Europe as I assume they still hope to play domestic, they should not be allowed) and simply wanting more money.

JamesM09 likes this.
  9. JamesM09

Also, there are only 'diddy teams' because the * don't spread the money and snap up all the best players.

King of Kings and Peej like this.
  10. Celticbhoy97

I would show more sympathy but * every single middle of the road English team. Your Sheffield’s, Burnley’s, Brighton’s et all your bubble is burst don’t dare ever talk down to my football club hope every * and one of them goes bust

11. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    What os this all about, do these "Super Clubs" still expect to lay in their Domestic league and the CL or Uefa Cup??

12. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    If this goes ahead, and i hope it does, this will burst that F...ing. EPl Bubble and suddenly they will realise that the size and status of the club isnt based on what TV revenue you earn. Its back to basics, the fans etc etc. I hope to * that Celtic FC will NEVER entertain such F...ng arrogance of this shambles of "Super" clubs. FFS some of them down here haven`t won a League for 50/60 years. Some hadn`t won for 50 years until Abramovich put his hand in his pocket. Man * hadn`t done anything until the Arabs put up the cash. Let them all rot in their Super League. As much as I enjoy being in the CL, its an accolade after winning your league that counts to me.
    Maybe it will allow the rest of us, including the German,Dutch,Portuguese teams a more competitive competition with realistic aims to progress.
    Im sincerely hoping that SKY are involved in this and the pull the plug in the EPL because their star teams are being booted out.
    This IMHO can only be good for the rest of the "proper European teams" with history

13. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    This is a disgrace to be honest. * modern football.

14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I agree, * modern football but I have to admit a euro tournament without those * clubs is rather appealing to me..

The Phoenix likes this.
  15. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

I wonder if we had of been invited to join? would our general response here be the same ? This is capitalism at its worse, Im sure Desmond is creaming himself at the thought of participating in such a deal! he obviously isn't part of the "in crowd" of world capitalism

The Phoenix likes this.
  16. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

What do you consider to be a "Legacy fan" ?

17. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

I jest, not my phrase;

upload_2021-4-19_17-9-58.jpeg

carraigbhoy likes this.
  18. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    So, who's everyone choosing for their ESL team? I'll keep little ol Celtic as my legacy team.

Think I'll go with Spurs. Kinda feel sorry for them with all the bad press they've been getting since the announcement.
    Short trip from Dublin to home games too.

FranceCelt likes this.
  19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You just know Lawwell and Desmond are phoning all the clubs involved desperate for an invite.

Sickening.

The Phoenix likes this.
  20. john2061

The FA must tell these clubs if you join this super League then you can't play in their domestic league as it gives them a unfair advantage financially with 3 billion payment as a founder member .
    These owners haven't even asked their own fans about it and just down to * greed from those owners .