1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Probably blame Covid or belief in backing Lennon to turn it around..

James likes this.
  2. john2061

To have any chance of winning the league next season the new manager needs backed big time we need quality players in but the recruitment must be spot on and just look at this season how recruitment has been a disaster.
    Still think there's isn't alot between the sides and just need a quality manager and he is backed by the board we have a chance to win the league next season .

johnboy19 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  3. joemc

I think it could be done with a typical celtic budget if we wer prepared to be defensive, for wot we really want as fans its gonna cost over wot we could be prepared to outlay , thats why if we go the typical celtic attacking style with say howe as manager , it could take a few years to get right unless he is a very lucky manager.

4. john2061

In just looking at the John Barnes season where we were 20 points behind after that season and we brought in Martin O'Neil and he brought in Sutton Hartson Thompson etc and we won the league the following season it can be done .

5. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Get it * announced

Hammy89, The Dude and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  6. joemc

At that time the money spent was huge for us , but we got quality players in , lenny also came in slightly later at 6 mill , huge amount back then .

7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Hartson never signed until August 2001 you forgot about Valgaeran.

8. StanP19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Stilian Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I thought we could regain the title next season but after today I’m not so sure. I hope we are wrong but I’m in agreement with you on this

9. john2061

If this * board know what they are doing when McKay walks out and sits down tomorrow if there's a press conference and McKay first words are ladies and gentlemen here is the new director of football and new head coach for Celtic football club and they walk out .

10. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

We do really need to get back to being able to win ugly.

If there is a short term fix out there that gives us a better chance at winning the title back immediately then it has to be taken. We can't allow the huns to get a 2 or 3 year run at getting champions league money while we miss out. This is why I would be against the likes of the harkin and maresca combo, for now anyway. If we bring a candidate in with a view to the long term they could be too far behind before any vision comes to fruition. Would also take longer to call out a poor appointment.

Don't know about Clark though, not totally against it, just not convinced.

11. Foley1888

Totally agree here, the standard of opposition is nowhere near that calibre that O’Neil faced either.

The right manager with a bit of backing and given the state of Scottish Football, we will be challenging next year. It will be difficult and I have said it before the CL qualifiers will come to early I fear given the size of job we have on our hands but competing for a league in a 2 horse race shouldn’t be out the question.

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Need to get the manager's position announced in the next week. I'm not worried that Kennedy will get the job, more-so worried he'll still have a role next season.

If we don't get Howe, * forbid, I pray we have a capable back-up, not Keane, not Clarke, someone capable of getting us back where we belong.

13. joemc

I'm not 100 % on him either but I feel he would have a better chance cauz he's been close to the action and sees both teams , can play a good defensive style , the huns have learned to play from being pushed into 2 banks of 4 so many times , they have learned to come out better against that system now , I feel our best chance of a quick turnaround is to learn to be defensive and suck them in .

rudebhoy67 likes this.
  14. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Martin also inherited the likes of Larsson, petrov, moravcik, mjallby, lambert and mcnamara. The new man has nothing of similar quality to hand. He also still had experienced club captain Tom boyd still there.

Martin also spent something like 3m - valgaeran, 6m on Sutton, 2.5m on thompson, 5m on lennon and 1m on douglas = 17.5m. The new manager will be lucky if he gets a kitty double that and we are 20 years down the line and need twice the amount of players, at least, brought in. Its a tall, tall, ask.

And lets not forget Martin O'Neil was an experienced and in demand manager, still in a job plying his trade in the English top flight. We will not be getting the same standard of appointment this time around.

15. Mr Diggler

O'Neil brought in Sutton who replaced Viduka, Joos Valgaeren, Alan Thompson, Rab Douglas, Didier Agathe, Neil Lennon and Ramon Vega on loan. He also turned Bobby Petta and Stan Petrov, hopeless under Barnes into players and turned Mjallby into a very good centre back. We need that type of 100% strike rate in the transfer market and a few players to be turned around for us to make a comeback next year.

martin_d likes this.
  16. wulliebad

The way this season has been the only thing missing to cap it all off is for celtic to announce some (celtic minded) * the fans do not want. I fear it will be a long long summer.

Hammy89 likes this.
  17. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

This style is also the only way we're likely to get any joy in Europe.

18. Turnbulls right peg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    Absolutely no reason why we can't win the title next season. There a well organised side with a few decent players nothing more.

They got a soft lead with our boli-gate postponements,
    Beat a covid & injury ravaged side in the 1st derby & were very lucky in the 2nd not to be 3 down at half time then comes dubai-gate and more dropped points we put no pressure on them at any point this season and there confidence grew from our * ups

No amount of MSM or sevco pundit cheerleaders will convince me that this is a team of world beaters were trying to overturn.

Rossmc and johnboy19 like this.
  19. SuperZidane

Absolutely - The Huns are an average team, the problem is that we are a poor team. If the new manager (hopefully Howe) is given funds to bring in 3 - 4 quality players, we could certainly more than match them.

I do think patience is required also - there are potentially 12 - 15 players (including loans) that may go from the club so there is no way any manager can handle that in less than 3 transfer windows IMO.

I certainly think the new manager could be challenging for the league next season (given the resources). I think it'll be 1 - 1.5 seasons before he'll be happy with the squad he's got.

20. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

3-4 new additions?

Mate, we need an entirely new defence and keeper, we need an entire new strike force and we need a left winger. That's all only to give us a decent starting 11. We also need back up in all those positions and competition at rw, dm and 10.