1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mohammed Elyounoussi.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 30, 2019.

Discuss Mohammed Elyounoussi. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

He's best just off a striker. Would love to get him permanently and the Norway manager is a *.

James Mc likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He’s by far at his best off of the left wing. It’s not even close to me, he doesn’t look like he enjoys being a 10.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He said before his preferred position was a 10 but I don't think we've ever properly tried him there..

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Getting a quality, attacking left back would help Ely massively. Someone to make overlapping runs and create space for him.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He’s not a back to goal player to turn and operate in there. Finding space moving inside off the left he’s different class.

His 2 best performances this season, yesterday and Lille, that was where he was playing. He’s good enough to operate there, or up top like we’ve seen this season but from the left he’s a sheer joy.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I think he'd be pretty clinical running beyond of 2 mobile striker's who had an actual understanding with full back's capable of whipping ball's in..

He's deffo been best for us in a 4-2-3-1 though with Boli behind..

He 100% needs that pace and energy to open up the space for him to come inside..

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He’ll find the space. Doesn’t even need to be pace and energy, Eddy drags a defender about and he just goes into the space.

He also gets a hard time but Taylor is absolutely selfless with the runs he makes and constantly overlaps when he has a man infront of him, always makes the run to take the fullback away regardless of whether he’s getting the ball or not. It gives Moi space.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Not digging me out at all, mate. Fair comment. :60:

I’m not backtracking, but I’ve never actually said I don’t want him under any circumstances (I think!). He’s a v good player and I’ve really taken to his personality and work-rate as well as talent. The issue, like I’ve been saying, is where do we fit him in? For me, if he had the pace, I’d be more than confident putting him on the left wing against any opposition we’re likely to face.

Without that, unless we drop Turnbull, I don’t know if we’ll see the best of him, especially in Europe.

Like I said before, if we hadn’t Turnbull, I’d take Mo in a heartbeat for £5m and play him in the #10 role, but as things stand, we’d end up with two top class #10s and no pace on the left-wing (minus Johnston).
    That, for me, means the money could likely be used better elsewhere, if we did proper scouting.

I’ve never been one to doubt the lad’s talent and contribution for us, though.

Hammy89 likes this.
  9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I suspect you are correct. A paceless full back on the same wing does him no favors.

10. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Mohamed Elyounoussi will not make a call on his long-term future until the end of the season. The Celtic forward, with 17 goals this term, has been second only to Odsonne Edouard in terms of his attacking potency for the club, with a growing appreciation of what he has brought across two loan spells.

With a substantial rebuilding project expected to take place this summer as the club bring in a new manager and various personnel, it remains to be seen if there is a significant push to keep the Norwegian internationalist at the club on a permanent deal.

Parent club Southampton signed the player on a £16m deal from Basel in 2018 but the player has made just 19 appearances for the English side.
    “I will give you my honest answer on that. I haven’t thought much about what my future is going to be,” said the 26-year-old.

“We still have a few games left to play this season and my main focus is here on Celtic.

“I want to do my best for the club and then after the season ends, I will have a think about what I’m going to do and what is best for my own career.”

Certainly, interim manager John Kennedy would be keen for the club to keep hold of the player. It remains to be seen what role, if any, Kennedy might have beyond the end of the current season but he would be happy to endorse Elyounoussi to any new manager.

“I think he’s the calibre of player you want to try to attract to your club.” Said Kennedy. “Knowing the quality he’s got and when you’ve worked with a player you get to see them up close and what you really like.

“His character and his levels in terms of training, he’s first-class in everything he does. He’s one of the best professionals I’ve worked with. He really looks after his body, he commits to training and every drill you do each day. When he’s on form he’s a very good player. We’ll have to address that in the summer if it’s a possibility – and if it is a possibility I’m pretty sure the club will look closely at that.”

Meanwhile, Elyounoussi concurred with John Kennedy’s assertion that Celtic have the best team in the country but is well aware that it needs to be backed up by whatever happens on the pitch.

“I love the confidence the he [John] has in us and I feel the same way,” he said. “But at the same time, we need to make sure we do our talking with out feet out on the pitch.

“That is the most important thing for Sunday. Every game is a big game and this one is a great one to be a part of so I’m looking forward to it.

“It’s important to win the trophy, in recent games against Rangers we have been the better team.

“In the end it comes down to what we do out on the pitch, we need to make sure we win it. It may be like any other game but in the back of our minds it’s about the cup and the trophy.”

There is weight attached to the game other than just the Cup that is at stake. A Celtic win would deny Rangers the chance of a domestic double but would also enable them to halt Rangers’ dominance domestically and set them up for next season as they seek to recover from the trauma of this campaign.

“Both myself and the team are going into this game with a high degree of confidence, especially after the last game against Livingston,” said Elyounoussi. “We have been working hard and the training this week has been superb.

“You could see a result like the one we had at Livingston was coming, you could see it over the last few games. You could see it during the training sessions we had and the only thing which was missing was taking our chances in front of goal.

“We had been creating a lot of chances but we couldn’t finish them off. Things weren’t going our way in front of goal but we knew that would change sooner rather than later.

“It changed against Livingston, not only were we good in front of our opponents goal, but we were good in front of our own.

“We need to try and maintain that on Sunday. We need to create the chances and be ruthless. We also need to stop them from having chances against us. It’s all about what’s going to happen in the two boxes.

“We go into Sunday’s game as we would for any other game. That has always been the mentality at Celtic but this is obviously a cup game and it’s all to play for.

“That makes it more interesting and valuable but we will go into it as we would any other. That means we will do our best and try to win the game.”

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Yep. These are things people don't factor in.

12. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    It’s not that a lot of us don’t consider these things; it’s that this papering over certain cracks (however small) has been the clubs M.O. for too long now, and it’s cost us. We’ve also got guys in the Laxalt thread saying the likes of, ‘well, if we put an old fashioned winger in front of him, maybe his lack of end product wouldn’t matter’.

I know at our level, players are always going to have limitation, but at the money it takes to get some of these guys in, we shouldn’t have to then make up for basic attributes they don’t have by adding pressure onto another position, especially when we’re potentially doing the same thing in that position as well.

13. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I think MOI could be the star man today. He's been getting better with each game recently.

14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Eddy put one on a plate for him and he takes a touch, chance gone, what a sitter it was.
    That chance, Eddys pen and pathetic volley, were 3 we should have berried-and we were rank, goes to show that that mob are not all they are cracked up to be.

Sydneysider and mayo like this.
  15. DonnyCelt

He has this in his locker. Has a few cracking performances, but misses chances the one today. Did something similar in the first game against them this season where he tried a * over the keeper when it'd have been easier to slot it under him.

Still hope we keep him if the price is right.

16. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

I still want him to stay, a poor performance today doesn’t change that. Nearly scored an absolute belter but it was a good save by McGregor.

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. Jeffrey

Skelp that ya *

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    It's him in a nutshell..

Can be so frustrating. A perfect example of his mixed bag type 90 minute showings was Lille away. Scored 2 crackers and could've had more but second half when we were countering them with the game in sight....he kept * up the final pass. Must've been 2 or 3 to put the game to bed and he either held it too long or under/overhit it..

DonnyCelt likes this.
  19. northeast67

He looked to have a bit of bite today, more than the rest that's for sure!
    Get him a contract

20. Big C

Sorry but for the money quoted, not good enough on a regular basis and particularly in the games that matter. Yip he’ll score against the lesser teams which is great but for £5 million he should be making the difference in big games. Send him back.

martin_d and slievenamon like this.