1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

I'm no fan of him at all...and this goes back to when he said "his heart sank " ( or something along those lines) about a banner our support proudly produced .

Still and all , I found it sorrowful and sad to watch that video of him steaming - he looked like a broken man.

We ( well most of us I guess ) have been in a state like Lennon was in that video , but I think there is something more going on than just a one of * up.

I hope he has a good bunch of friends and family to support him .

2. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Tbh totally felt sorry for the guy the nick he was in and some idiot filming him, hope the guys ok, but seriously spare any Celtic fans who just basically wanted rid of him and were * of with team selection s, team formation, arrogance after defeat s saying we played, laughing after defeat s, saying the hysteria was uncalled for, throwing the team under a bus, spare the “ look what yous have done to him now nonsense “ really hope he’s okay but think every bit of criticism was totally called for, apart from childish name calling

3. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Difference from not succeeding than someone who’s not succeeding, getting formation s terribly wrong, getting team selections terribly wrong, even then fair enough but he was throwing players under buses, saying fans were hysterical for nothing, saying we were outstanding when he plainly knew we were *, laughing after we lost to Ross county, totally disrespecting the fans, he deserves loads of criticism as a manager, guy’s like Tony Mowbray didn’t succeed, people were a bit disappointed and wanted rid of him but people weren’t giving him dogs abuse because he tried his best and failed, Lennon s totally different and aye well done as a player good captain said all that doesn’t exempt him from all the criticism hes received this season alone

The_Bhoy and Peej like this.
  4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I don't know if you've read my post correctly, i'm having a go at the Board not supporters. :97:

5. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    That’s not the point of what I said....I was responding to the point of criticism. Yeah I’ve failed in life at things and had to deal with the repercussions. If you fail at anything in life you usually know there’ll be baggage to it. Lenny being a man of success in his career before with us doesn’t exclude him from fans passion and anger at the total * up this season and that’s just something Lenny and other people have to accept

Slater67 likes this.
  6. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Has anyone mentioned he beat Barca yet? :lenny1:

Crilly, Valhalla, bagforlife and 2 others like this.
  7. jj81

Tony watt next bergkamp

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  8. jj81

Seriously though , any * slagging him cos he is pished after what he has done for us needs a toe in the bag.

Guy has been through more than we can think of , * manager , still a legend.

9. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Of course it doesn't exclude him from criticism but it surely excludes him from outrageous insults and character assassinations? Is "popcorn teeth" criticism or an outright insult?

For me pointing out Lennon made the wrong calls this season isnt just blindly obvious but also an acceptable and a fair judgement.

I see some posters mention they want Henrik as our manager one day, that gives me the absolute fear! It makes me sick to the bottom of my stomach. If Henrik came to manage us and it didn't work out, if he came under the abuse that Neil has I would be even more embarrassed.

Lennon got it wrong but I certainly don't blame him for having self belief, loyalty, determination to succeed. He just wasn't good enough to meet the objective.

Another thing when people that are getting right into him need to remember is this failure isn't just Neil Lennons mess. It's very easy and actually lazy to just point at Neil Lennon. It's nearly become a source of comfort to some fans it seems, can't deal with the fact we as club couldn't complete the ten so let's slice and dice Neil Lennon. What sort of mentality is that?

We failed from top to bottom. I think Toney and Forster would have made a huge difference. I think Lennon clearly wanted these targets. The board and Hammond decided that barkas and ajeti represented better value. Lennon then deals with the consequences of that. Where is the non-stop personal insults for Hammond and Lawell?

Final point, we as a club appointed Lennon to the position, from that point all Lennon can do is give it his absolute best, if his best isn't good enough it's up to us as a club to send him on his way. I won't slaughter him for having the belief that he could turn it around.

10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Agree mostly, but you have to accept that what you see as determination, self-belief, loyalty etc, I (and plenty of other Celtic fans I know) saw as a guy who was had lost interest, had a management style that could easily be labelled lazy, threw the team under the bus and alluded to the fans being spoilt.

You saw a guy trying his best, plenty of others saw a man clinging to his last big payday.

Keano88 likes this.
  11. john2061

First time the pubs were opened and Lennon having a good night out and we will all be in that state when the pubs open up here .
    I don't get this he has a problem just because some moron filmed him and some Celtic fans going over the top saying he needs help .
    When bronny was laying out with his kebab that night does he need help as well .
    Give Lennon a break he just lost his job and maybe needed a night out and as I said we will be doing that ourselves shortly when the pubs open .

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    If you look at the incident in isolation, then it would be wrong to jump to the conclusion that so one has a problem.

With Lennon though, we know his mental health hasn’t been great on occasion, so there is a history there. When you see someone in that state, still wearing their old work gear, I think it’s understandable that people show concern.

13. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I never wanted him back and it ruined the cup final day for me when I heard he had been appointed, however your final two paragraphs sums up the mess of a season perfectly.

Will his final season taint his legacy? Possibly but too early to say, times a great healer. I think it will be pretty much mixed with maybe older fans viewing him more favourably than the young team.

I think he needs to be left alone now to live his best life whatever he thinks that is.

stubhoy07 likes this.
  14. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't buy that hanging on for a final payday idea. Fight or flight is a natural human instinct. Also the official line is he resigned, that seems to always get overlooked. If he resigned then he wouldn't have taken payment would be?

15. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    In most jobs mate, if you’ve done something wrong or your being pretty * at your job you’ll find a lot of managers will ask you to resign rather than sack you as it looks worse for you when going for another job think this might have been the case with Lennon

Wee Baldy and Keano88 like this.
  16. SkyeCelt

Get some help, Neil.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I wonder if he was watching the shambles he created, today.

18. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    When you see the state of Lennon in that pathetic clip you can't help but think he's been like this for a long time.

No wonder the players have been as unprofessional as they have been working under someone in that state.

Wee Baldy and The Phoenix like this.
  19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Cannot stand this *. Called everyone bottlers and hysterical when fans were wanting Lennon (his mate) gone months ago. Then posts this today.

20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    He was on 5 Live yesterday as a pundit ffs lol.