1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish Premiership clubs to reject Celtic B team

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Dude, Apr 14, 2021.

Discuss Scottish Premiership clubs to reject Celtic B team in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Dude

053FDD73-6861-4B2A-A4F2-F84A74F5E536.jpeg

Scottish football clubs set to reject a progressive reform. Colour me shocked. *sighs*

2. The Dude

Do supporters of other clubs ever look at Dutch or Portuguese football and aspire to reach that level?

B teams for Scotland's top clubs are essential. There is no longer a reserve league, and I only learnt this week that at least one of our 'top' clubs, Livingston, is ineligible to play in European competition because it has no youth academy.

* and semi-professional clubs have held Scotland's professional clubs to ransom for decades - they should have been cut loose long ago - and now professional clubs are voicing their 'concerns' about dragging youth development in Scotland into the twenty-first century. Where were their concerns when Hibernian mothballed its youth academy?

I am speaking as a fan of Scottish football, not just as a Celtic supporter. Radical change is needed now more than ever, otherwise another generation of talented young players will fall through the cracks.

3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    No the clubs aspire to coming in the top 6. 3rd is like a trophy to these clubs.
    These clubs want the Celtic and Rangers players on loan not playing regular football in league 1 or 2.
    My view on Livingston is that if they don't have an academy they shouldn't be allowed in the top flight.

littlekennie, James Mc and Noskeil like this.
  4. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    We live in a backwards country in terms of development, Aberdeen, Killie, St Johnstone etc all have to balance the books rather than sporting integrity and development. You wonder why Scottish football is shunned and laughed at? Look no further than that headline, the SFA are dogshit, * clueless pencil pushers. Can’t remember the last time they done good for Scottish football, all you ever hear them do is fail.

5. shaunm

Shocking,but not surprising tbh,if this proposal falls through we should look at getting an affiliate club in the lower leagues,so we can send our youth players on loan,pretty sure Hibs have a link up with Stenhousemuir

6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sadly your right about the first part there and I would agree with you as well on Livingston. I had no idea they had no youth academy. That is just ridiculous and I agree they should not be allowed play in the top flight as a result until they get serious about being a football club.

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    If we could get a good link up that would be the next best thing.

8. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Screw it, send players to league 1 and 2 down south from now on.

They give us nothing, we give them nothing. A fair trade.

9. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Can’t see why anyone’s shocked at this, these clubs don’t want us as it makes their league a reserve league basically. Loan the kids out to these teams if they’re ready for it and it’s up to them to prove they’ve got what it takes to push themselves near our first team.

10. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

A lot of our kids wouldn’t get in the starting 11 with teams in league 1/2. Plenty have fell away down the leagues into the lowland Aidan Mcilduff for example, who was once thought of as a hot prospect here.

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    ---- deleted because I was waffling too much * ----

Short tof it, * the small clubs, they are holding Scottish football back.
    Along with the corrupt Huns.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  12. StevieBhoooy!

I’m torn on this... I don’t want to be part of anything that also suits Sevco... but at the same time I don’t get why the other prem sides should object?!? Just bitterness at not being in a position to try to do the same themselves.

If it’s a no-go though I’ll be ok with it as it would just be another OF type connection that I’d rather not be associated with.

Peej likes this.
  13. StevieBhoooy!

Was he not talking about English leagues 1/2 ?

ie... no benefit to lower end Scottish clubs who don’t want us ..

Although ... sounds like it’s top tier clubs going to scupper it, not the lower clubs.

14. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

If it’s about English league 1/2 mate then no offence but you’d be mad to think that a Celtic colts side could play at that level.

15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    From what I understand it isn't the league 1 and 2 teams that object, it is the premiership teams.

16. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

No, send our youth players on loan to the corresponding level in England rather than where they aren’t wanted up here.

17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Rather we send them down south now after this set back.

* mentally these * clubs have, if we walked away from Scotland these * would * fold.

Im not saying for one minute we do that but they need to remember who brings in the revenue for them.

I have no problem sending our youth players down south now to a more competitive league as well.

Bayern Bru likes this.
  18. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Is there a list of clubs who voted for it? Would be nice to use those ones if we must send players on loan to our own lower leagues.

Even pay them some money for helping, help get them promoted.

19. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I disagree about that on the youth, yes we as a club should have a youth academy but it shouldn't be a requirement.

Brentford Doenst have a youth academy, theybhave a good b team setup but the academy was scrapped in 2016 I believe (or at least started winding down) Huddersfield did the same.

A team like celtic should have it setup and we should produce better than we do, we don't have enough come through and make any real impact at the club, (yes, forrest Tierney, mcgregor etc have all been good in recent years but that's a small number) and we have a fee peaking in now with Welsh, mikey, possibly some of the bhoys out on loan but look at Ajax, at the redbull system (little bit of a stretch with the moving players about etc but they do produce well from their youth,) French clubs are generally really good in bring youth through, sporting Lisbon a great throughput.

The league would have been great to get in as it's proven to work just look at Spain, Portugal, Germany, etc. Failing that we need to have a youth league of some sorts in action (possibly the Netherlands/Belgium/denmark/Scotland setup that gets talked about semi regularly) to get that development going or change the rules around maximum loans so we can have late portions playing

20. wulliebad

Narrow minded bunch of morons if this is true,it would help not just celtic and zombie reserves but all those players playing against them would learn and improve,it would also mean extra gate money for other clubs.....scotland is world class at failing then just doing nothing that other countries are doing and getting results.

greengrocer likes this.