1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Eddie Howe - is he the new man?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Peej, Jan 21, 2021.

Discuss Eddie Howe - is he the new man? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    This board tend to be exactly that way inclined, would agree with that last bit.

For me, I think this, overall, is why McKay is coming in soon.
    There is stuff needing sorted out that has a longer term effect on the club and needs the new CEO to deal with hands on.
    Things are on hold for now, but will kick back in to action next week I am sure.

As you say, if he's demanding X and Y and we can not accommodate both, then we put a final offer out there and let him decide one way or the other.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think people need to remember why we’re all clamouring for a DoF in the first place. It isn’t just a token role that can be filled by any incoming manager.

Pretty much the entire premise of the role, as far as I can see at least, is stability. The DoF is there to oversee a vision or long term strategy. Any manager is part of that vision but they’re largely expected to be a temporary part of it. Ideally, they’re massively successful with us and sty for 3/4 years before moving on, and the cycle repeats itself. The manager changes, but the strategy (and ideally the DoF) stays the same.

There’s absolutely nothing to be gained by us letting an incoming manager pick his own DoF, who is in effect his boss. He would be away whenever the manager leaves and we would be back to square one.

I would also question wether it would create a relationship that would be far too cosy. You want them that be able to work well together, but I can’t imagine an employee/manager relationship, where the employee has handpicked their manager (and the success of the managers career is largely driven by the success of their employee) as being an effective way of working in any setting.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Exactly.

Don’t want another Lennon or Deila.

martin_d likes this.
  4. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

I would say thats a racing certainty.

Death, taxes, Celtic board having no contingency plan.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    This is pretty much what I was going to say, spot on.

ThatBhoyLarsson likes this.
  6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Would he be his boss though? Or would they not both be working together, under McKay?

I know that's ultimately semantics as the DoF should oversee all footballing staff but the head coach would be responsible for the first team only, whereas the DoF is responsible for the rest of the football operations.

I think an established relationship wouldn't be such a bad thing as they're both accountable to the board/CEO.

The stability issue is a worry though, but I can personally see Howe staying for a few years if he does end up here. Hughes I don't know what his intentions would be long term.

7. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I want Howe and I have wanted him from the start. He should also be choosing his back room staff.

However, I draw the line at Howe forcing the DOF on to us. That type of move or decision from a manager just does not happen anywhere in world football really.

Not sure what might make him think he can dictate this type of decision unless he does not understand the scale of the club and is a bit above his station.

*this is based on the DOF reports being accurate*

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Mckay has no real experience to speak of in football, so I wouldn’t expect him to be nearly as involved in that side of things as Lawwel was, for instance.

To me Lawwell was almost a de-facto DoF. He would work alongside the manager but was ultimately still the managers boss, and responsible for hiring/firing, unless Desmond stepped in.

Basically, to implement the DoF model properly we need someone at the top with experience of running the football operations in their entirely. That person can’t be handpicked by any icon I g manager for me. There’s no doubt in my mind that any staff that come with Howe would be off with Howe when he leaves. That’s largely inevitable when it comes to coaching or scouring staff, but I would draw the line at the same happening with a DoF.

JamesM09 and JML67 like this.
  9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

So you're saying if you were in McKay/Desmond's position that you would turn Howe down if he insisted on Hughes in as the DoF?

10. JamesM09

I think that’s a difficult question to answer. If it was me I'd be hiring a DOF that I thought could transform the club and would be there for 5+ years, possibly 10. It's not just someone who comes in to work with specific manager. From that point of view, yes I would definitely turn down the manager.

That being said, I would try and work it so the manager could work with who he needs. It depends on exactly how everyone's role is defined. People make out these responsibilities are fixed in place whereas they're actually fluid.

My question to Howe would be, "What do you want Hughes to be responsible for?". If it's a role in scouting and player development I don't see why he couldn't still be brought in to work on those things.

There's no point bringing in Hughes as DOF in lieu of our own DOF. We'd be * once they left.

If I had to guess I would expect Howe knows he can't just determine our whole footballing structure. I suspect he just wants someone he knows in a senior position in the footballing operation since we are (supposed to be) in a period of radical change.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    JML67 likes this.
  11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I'll admit I'm biased and want us to do all we can reasonably do to get Howe in, for me he's the perfect fit. If it's a case of having Hughes in some capacity then we should be making that happen.

With Howe reportedly doing his 'due diligence' on the club he no doubt would've learned about the jobs for the boys hiring strategy and forcing staff on managers, as well as Lawwells overreaching approach that lead to Rodgers exit. For these reasons I can see why he's keen to have someone he knows he can trust and work productively with.

JamesM09 likes this.
  12. RockhardBoss

I would.

The DoF should be involved in the recruitment of the head coach and the majority of the coaching staff. If we're adopting a DoF model, and doing it properly, Howe should be limited in the staff he brings in too.

The problem is that we're all in the dark at the moment. Hopefully McKay will give a press conference when he officially joins and we'll get an idea of the club's plan.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    100% yes. It would be a deal breaker for me.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'd still go for it just because of how much we need to hit the ground running..

He's studied our setup for almost 2 month's and is our main choice..

I'll admit I'm no too clued up on DOF's but it would seem to be finally coming in to the present for us. Ideally we'd have the CEO announcing a DOF and then they'd bring in our coach but I'd take Howe just now with his own man Hughes if that was the only way he'd come..

What we'd have to get right though is our process for after him in term's of having our candidate's ready to walk straight in when the time is ready for Howe to bounce. Maybe having the DOF in place for our next appointment is more realistic i don't know..

I know we were stung with the rat but I think we'd get Howe for a good 3 year probably and maybe by the end of season 2 (everything going well), we'd then have our top few candidate's being sounded out/looked at by an incoming DOF..

If we miss out on Howe and go for a third or fourth choice coach who isn't really suited to us, just so we could have a DOF in place running it smoothly, isn't what I want..

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Last director of football was Kenny dalglish and was exactly that, a token role.

If the club are serious about the rumoured restructure, then they need to do it properly.

If that's harkin (pal or not) then so be it.
    But they can't be letting a complete club structure be dictated to by one man who then holds all the cards.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

King of Kings likes this.
  16. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Could probs just close this thread tbh!

17. seanbee01

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    He is not coming here, we have already had Keane signed, and then Howe onto the next :p If JK wins all his games including the cup I am almost certain they will keep him on purely on the basis the players seem to sing his praises and I fully believe its the same players who got Lennon the sack.

seanm likes this.
  18. The Dude

Celtic certainly knows how to take the excitement out of a new arrival. These sagas drag on for so long that the overwhelming feeling when they conclude is relief. :giggle1:

19. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    As Marty McFly would say...it's all getting bit meh now

The Dude likes this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

If we pump the huns 12-0. Yes 12. Then ill accept jk as manager. Otherwise get us a manager in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.