1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leo Hjelde

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Slaw, Jul 29, 2019.

Discuss Leo Hjelde in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jambo_cfc

Hjelde could be like ajer in that a loan to an spl team to get him accustomed tothe league and that he comes back ready for 1st team !

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. northeast67

What contract did he sign before going on loan?

3. The Dude

TransferMarkt says that he is contracted to Celtic until the summer of 2022.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Brilliant, we can all see how this one is about to pan out now :56:

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The_Bhoy likes this.
  5. The Dude

Hopefully, it has yet to be updated. I missed the announcement - if there was one - about his signing a new contract.

Peej likes this.
  6. northeast67

Cheers I seen that but Yogi Hughes said he signed a new contract before heading out on loan.

Peej likes this.
  7. Lewis Kerr

* another loan, get him in the first team.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Norwegian great talent Leo Hjelde (17), who is currently on loan to the Scottish Premier League club Ross County from Celtic, gets a shot from the very rare from his current manager.

"Leo's going to be the next van Dijk - trust me," Ross County manager John Hughes told the BBC .

Flattering
    Dad Jon Olav Hjelde has got that with him.

- It is flattering just to be mentioned in the same sentence as him, but it must be motivating. He wants to go far. Now he has to keep his feet on the ground and continue working, says the former Rosenborg and Nottingham Forest stopper giant to TV 2.

Leo Hjelde, who is also a defender, has played nine games for Ross County since coming on loan in January.

- The quality he has shown, and the physical challenge of playing real men's football and standing up for himself, it has been a fantastic experience for Leo, says manager Hughes.

Tough during the pandemic
    He is particularly impressed by how the 17-year-old has mastered the demanding challenge of living in a foreign country in the middle of a pandemic. Dad Jon Olav completely agrees with that.

He has had a good development this year, and has taken steps especially on the defensive side since he came to Ross County. It has looked good, even with the lockdown and the whole package, where he is in the room 20 hours a day, he says.

- Sportingly, it has been like the plum in the egg, but it is tough to be alone and not have the opportunity to do anything outside of training. It will not be the big social life, but if he does well through this, he will manage most things afterwards, Jon Olav Hjelde continues.

Because even though it is demanding now, it can prove to be useful baggage later in your career.

- It is not stupid to be through tough periods. It comes during the career anyway, no one goes straight to heaven. You have to deal with it and focus on development all the way, points out dad Jon Olav

Leeds was looking for him
    There is a lot of focus on Leo as well. According to the Ross County manager, the club had tough competition when they brought the Norwegian on loan.

- Before he came here, Leeds United were looking for him. I think he had to sign an extension before the loan went in order, says Hughes.

Hjelde has one and a half years left on his contract with Celtic.

- There have been several clubs on the field over a longer period. I do not know how specific it was, but there is a bit of interest when you play in a top league at the age of 17, says Jon Olav Hjelde.

Now he is excited to see what happens at Celtic. The club is currently led by John Kennedy, awaiting a permanent manager solution.

- It will be exciting with Celtic, we do not know who will come in as the new manager. He must be in good shape after the summer break and impress a new manager who has probably not seen him before. If he manages to play for Celtic when he is 17-18 years old, it is very strong, Jon Olav Hjelde thinks.

Thrown to the wolves
    And he does not think Celtic games will necessarily be more difficult for his son than it is to play for Ross County now.

- I think it's easier to play for Celtic, where you have the ball 70 percent of the time, than for Ross County. It is a physically tough league where you have to stand up for yourself. It has been the perfect challenge, he has really tried and been thrown to the wolves and fought for his life. It has been optimal, he believes.

Leo Hjelde had to stand over Saturday's match against Kilmarnock due to illness.

- He has picked up a small virus, but fortunately it has nothing to do with Covid. It has set him back a bit, but he has recovered well and I think he has a great future, says Ross County manager Hughes.

The first thing he should do? Help their current club survive in the Scottish Premier League.

There are four league games left for Ross County, which is just across the relegation zone. The club has only one point down to Kilmarnock in the playoffs and three to Hamilton who is last and is on the verge of direct relegation

https://www.tv2.no/a/13941300

Tommy25 likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Get him on a new deal, like Welsh.

martin_d, The_Bhoy and Tommy25 like this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He sounds like he should definitely be around our squad next season and as mentioned, on a long term deal..

Left sided centre half who is comfortable on the ball and already excelling in our own division. We don't have many of those at all..

11. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Think he’s also been able to fill in at LB for county too, so basically we’re losing ajer and gaining an Ajer by the looks of it! Haha

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Get him signed to a new 3/4 year deal once he's back. I don't know if i'd be keeping him as he'd essentially be fourth choice behind our two new CB'S and Welsh, plus Jullien is coming back. I'd loan him out til January and see where he is from there.

13. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Another loan to a team near the bottom would be perfect again. Like his dad says if he can play there it’s harder than playing for us defensively

14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Maybe even back to Ross County imo, by all accounts he's doing great there and him and the manager seem to get on well, win-win

Dan Breen and NomDePlum like this.
  15. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Could save us a bit of money. Lord knows we're going to spend a bit but we'll need to look at what we already have to allow us to spend big in other areas.

JML67 likes this.
  16. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    If he's good enough give him a decent contract and get him in the team. !7 year olds are good enough to play in CL quarter finals then surely if good enough could at least manage the SPL.

17. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly, we should've been planning the younger/fringe players progression into the first team much better. This summer rebuild might force us to actually give them their shot.

Still can't get over the last pre-season playing guys like connell and dembele then Lennon totally dropping them as the season started, despite numerous occasions to give them a chance :31:

Hammy89 likes this.
  18. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    This guy seems to have potential, plenty people singing his praises, unlike any of the other 14 we have farmed out on loan.

19. celtic warrior

* it, get him in back 3 three with Welsh and Ajer and let's have gander and what could be..... For about 3 pre season games before Ajer is sold.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  20. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Ridiculous comment, when Connell is assisting goals week-in, week-out, Robertson is beloved by Doncaster fans already, Otoo is impressing, and O’Connor earned the praise of a former Ireland international.