1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Find it incredible he wasn't called up to the Scotland squad given the lack of real quality at CB

Noskeil and martin_d like this.
  2. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I've been really pleasantly surprised with how good Welsh has been. It's hardly a brave call to throw him in now given our season is practically over and the alternatives are pretty bleak, but I think he's taken his chance well and deserves his starting spot. I think he's improved with each game recently and hope he keeps his spot until the end of the season.

I think we've been guilty of not developing youngsters properly at Celtic over the years. It's difficult as you need to be patient and accept mistakes, while also satisfying a demand for winning every game. Some guys look good right away, some need time to gorw into it but we don't tend to give young guys enough games before they're judged.

3. Maestro 08

Just outstanding. So composed. The biggest compliment I can pay him is you barely notice him. No dramas, does everything well.

What a find. Absolutely superb. Wins every header, despite not being the tallest. Class, class defender.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  4. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Exactly what I'd say about him. Doesn't need to do anything fancy and sweeps up well. Unflashy and solid.

martin_d likes this.
  5. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Possibly the shining light on a relatively miserable season. The boys not afraid to get stuck in and got decent positional sense for a kid of his age, really looking forward to him developing with us. I do think Ajer compliments him very well too which is another refreshing thing to see.

martin_d and The_Bhoy like this.
  6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    He gets better with every game. I really want him to be one of the starting centre half’s next season.

martin_d, Crilly, Noskeil and 3 others like this.
  7. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    One word-solid.
    I have been watching him very closely every game, Yesterday, the guy never put a foot wrong. His presence was a factor in that OG, cant believe people saying he heeds to go out on loan.

martin_d and The_Bhoy like this.
  8. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    There was one point most that stood out to me yesterday he must have run from 10-15 yards away to meet a ball near the livi man near the half way line and never took his eyes off the ball sending it flying whilst the livi player got done for a high boot. And that’s just a little thing amongst all the solid things he has in his locker. Keep him first team I say. He’s done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped has he

martin_d, Dan Breen and NomDePlum like this.
  9. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    The boy is class act for his age and is growing into the role and shirt. For me, its his to lose. Loved the sheer commitment with his 50 50, he took everything! Got a knock but up and shrugged it off. You can tell a player by the way they are never phased or rushed. Hes a player!

martin_d, Rydo1888*, The_Bhoy and 3 others like this.
  10. StanP19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Stilian Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I’ve always rated him. Obviously still got to develop his game and he will make mistakes but so far he has been really good. Would be the first name on the team sheet for me the now. Could make the squad for the euros as well

martin_d and Dan Breen like this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That was me, and it wasn’t my point. People were saying he’ll be a good back up next season. At this age he needs to continue to develop, being on the bench for us would be useless. He needs to continue playing and developing, I want it to be with us next season but if he’s only to get 10/15 games like some people were saying, I’d rather he gets 40/50 with another team for a year.

Because the bhoys * good, halting his progress to waste away on the bench would be useless.

I want him to continue in our first team next season

murphy88 and Dan Breen like this.
  12. murphy88

He has to start games next season. The only thing missing from Welsh's game now is experience. He has shown enough ability to be trusted. If he doesn't start regularly next season, then I can only see it ending one way, and that will ultimately be with him playing elsewhere.

The_Bhoy and Liam Scales like this.
  13. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Puts me in mind of Kelvin Wilson, with his composure and tendency to sit and sweep things up, and that way that - like others have said - you barely notice he’s there, in a good way.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He should be a guaranteed starter next year. Still need a couple of decent centre backs in but I think you'd need to spend a good amount to get someone similar quality to him and even more for the potential he has.

The_Bhoy, Tommy25 and martin_d like this.
  15. Bellbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

I'm the same, been watching him closely and really impressed!

I do worry that a cardboard cut out could look solid after what we've seen this season but he has stood out recently and I'm quietly confident.

Dan Breen likes this.
  16. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Got better every game he's played since the turn of the year, really benefitting from the run of games. Should be competing for a starting spot next season.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

NomDePlum, The_Bhoy and Tommy25 like this.
  17. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Think he’s a lot better footballer than wilson technically but I see what you’re saying. Safe is the word for welsh and there’s * all wrong with that when we’ve seen what an Ireland national captain can do this season

18. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Aye, precisely. It was style wise I was meaning. Keeps focussed and composed, letting others charge on or make early tackles, while making sure everything else gets swept up.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  19. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Reminds me of John Kennedy funnily enough when he first broke into the first team
    I know Kennedy ended up looking like he was gonna be a superstar when he became a regular but he had the luxury of reserve football against seasoned pro’s to assist his development, which is what we are losing out on now due to the sfa in their infinite wisdom doing away with the reserve league
    That’s a decision that’s gonna do irreparable damage to Scottish football long term

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    4 year contract for him, fantastic news

Tommy25, Rydo1888*, NomDePlum and 2 others like this.