1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scootz

Certainly don’t hate the lad.

I don’t even have a strong opinion on his contract position - that’s his business.

All I know is that he’s been mince for some time now, made a number of brain dead decisions, and generally looked like he cannae be arsed. The last bit is just my opinion - and it could be wrong (it has been known!).

Wee Baldy, martin_d and cat123 like this.
  2. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I don't hate the guy. I just want Celtic to sell him so we can all move on.

Wee Baldy, martin_d and Rydo1888* like this.
  3. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    I don't hate the lad, but i'd sweet chin music him if i seen him.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Ryan Christie Brown isn't even as good as an empty shirt.

At least an empty shirt doesn't surrender possession by trying worldies every two * seconds. Or trying cheeky flicks which he CANT * DO.

He's a highlight reel chasing prat.

Still first name on the team sheet.

For ANY new manager he should be the first name on the * transfer sheet.

5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Armstrong still left with 1 year to go, and he was someone who looked like he couldn't be arsed in his final season. The only advantage was he didn't get a guaranteed start like Christie has.
    The repeated shoe Horning him into the right is the managers' fault I blame them more than the player himself. No attempt to play youth in the right wing. Everybody who has played at right back this season has been at a disadvantage as there was no winger to play with.

Liam Scales, cat123 and Britwell bhoy like this.
  6. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Talk of a new deal again for this *, hopefully it’s only so we can sell him for a bit more money to some rugby side.

7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I don't hate the lad or see fault in what he's doing because unfortunately I've long since accepted we are a stepping stone for players to the EPL riches..

But as soon as they start refusing contracts they should be sold ASAP..

cat123 likes this.
  8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I seem to be in the minority but I’ve seen what he can do when he’s at full throttle and I want him here next season with a new manager and a fresh start.

9. Jeffrey

One of the most unfairly treated players I can remember.

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I noticed Turnbull started doing it too, wonder if they've been instructed by Lennon/Kennedy to shoot from outside the box more often

The fact we've had these guys managing us over the last 2 years is sickening

Spring Time likes this.
  12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Shooting outside of the box on occasion should absolutely be encouraged. Christie rips the hole out of it though

13. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Shooting outside the box is normal if it is the best option at the time and you see a good opportunity, But this * shoots even when there is better options, lucky we have no fans this season or we would be sending them to the A&E every game with concussions.

14. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I know you might be taking the mick, but I had long actually said this, but for the past 3 or 4 months now, I find I can’t any more.

Thought he was misunderstood and undervalued: ok, took on many risky shots and passes, but that’s because he was trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck and make something happen. We’ve often criticised players - and whole XIs of ours in the recent past - for not doing this very thing.

It’s also unfair to accuse him of downing tools more than the majority of the rest of the team. Ok, half the time he unforgivably doesn’t look bothered; the rest of the team are just as guilty and few of them get the same grief.

However, his reaction to the events of this season as they were unfolding has not always been to down tools: it’s been to work harder; his crime is refusing to learn to work smarter.

That resulted in even more of his misplaced passes and shots. Do I think some of that was highlights-reel-chasing? Of course, but I don’t think that was the only motivation.

Part of the reason he takes so many risks is obviously ego, but the other factor must be coaching; surely if you had a manager retraining you so that you expressed your work ethic in more economical ways, you wouldn’t just blindly disobey?

There’s no way Lennon would have accepted that without some sort of public row in front of the press.

I genuinely think he looks at everything falling apart and thinks, ‘right, as the amazeballs playmaker that I think I am, I’d better do something here to dig us out a hole’, and ends up giving away possession and costing goals.

His performance in the second Rangers game was telling of that: at the beginning of the second half, where we looked nervous because we knew we’d blown chance after chance in the first, as the anxiety began to grow in our performance, you could see he was taking on far more risks, and actually lost the ball that eventually led to their quick break away for the Bitton red. I was far angrier with Christie than with Bitton for that.

That was the match that ended my defence of him. Lost patience, and now want him gone, barring a massive change that I don’t think is likely.

Could someone coach him out of the bad habits? Aye, but it’ll also take a shift in ego - possible, but only the lad himself can answer whether he wants to do it.

However, I don’t believe he’s half the egregious, egotistic wee swine folk are making him out to be on here. He’s tried a leg, which is more than can be said for many.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    ruzzle76 likes this.
  15. Smithy

16. JamesM09

The rumour is he's on an absolute pittance (relative to other players, of course).

I suspect when he broke through and became a first team regular he expected to be offered a contract more in line with what other players were getting. Lawwell, being the * he is, tried to low ball him because he's Scottish.

I always say on here Lawwell's number one talent is manipulating the Celtic support. He knows he can offer a player * all salary wise if they're Scottish because the support will immediately paint them as someone chasing 'Premier League' money. That's what I reckon has happened here.

Hopefully the next CEO is canny enough to know that if he can compromise with players and give them a decent salary we can make that money back when we sell them to English football, when the time is right.

It must be sickening to get offered one of the lowest wages at the club while you're one of the best players, then see Shane Duffy come in on £65k p/w. Christie has done the right thing in my opinion. We are the ones that need to change.

McGrory1888 likes this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    New contract?

Lol..

18. JamesM09

There's a quote somewhere from Christie where he said something along the lines of, "The Gaffer's told me to shoot on sight" or something like that.

It's classic Lennyball. Why work on tactics etc. when you can just have better players that are good at shooting?

Of course, when it stops working, you're *.

19. horseshoe

Was the same way with Commons his first time in charge, some games it just felt like the only tactic was pass it to him and maybe he'll score a rocket from the 30 yards.

JamesM09 likes this.
  20. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Had a feeling this heat map would come up to bash Christie.

Its far too simplistic to lay the blame solely at his feet.
    We have no striker who holds the ball up bringing people into play.
    We have no winger/flair player beating a man to create space.
    We have little to no ideas around the box including no set plays.
    Plus management incapable of tweaking it.

I'm not giving him a free ride here as his shooting has been extremely wayward but the style of play we currently have, coupled with the form our players are in, long range shooting is inevitable.
    He wouldn't have ended up with us or at international level if he was just a glory hunting, shot from anywhere player.
    Its a symptom of all our current failings. That heat map comparison to other teams sums it up very well.