1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve cook

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by jambo_cfc, Apr 4, 2021.

Discuss Steve cook in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jambo_cfc

And so it begins ! Good signing with experience and is a leader ! Would be happy with this

Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2021
  2. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Decent defender although hopefully Uncle Howey plans ti play in a back 3 because he's not quick or mobile enough to play in a 2 man defence.

3. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Would be a smart signing. Seems like a leader and we need a few more of those.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  4. CountyDownFaithful

Some of these fan analysts don’t half get carried away with themselves.

Putting a lot of time and effort into analysing Howe and promoting him as the number one choice. Then they criticise what could potentially be his first signing because of some mistakes the players made. What football player doesn’t make mistakes? If there is any, we certainly can’t afford the ones who don’t.

I quite enjoy following some of the analytical pages but let’s remember they are not football men. They are good with numbers but they are not football managers and data can’t be sole factor in decision making / player recruitment.

If Howe wants Cook to be part of his revolution then let’s get him in.

JML67 likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC manager-in-waiting Eddie Howe will target Bournemouth captain Steve Cook as one of his key summer transfers.

Cook was a defensive warrior for Howe at the Vitality Stadium during the Cherries’ rise from League One to the top flight

And the 29-year-old, approaching 400 games for Bournemouth over ten years, will be available on a free as his contract is up in June.

The unflinching Cook was linked with West Ham last October but stayed put as the Cherries try to return to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

They are currently just outside the Championship play-off zone.

The feeling is Cook will leave if they fail to go back up, but even with promotion he could find it hard to reject a Howe reunion at Celtic.

The Hoops squad will need an overhaul in the summer, with four loan players returning to their clubs, plus the likes of Odsonne Edouard, Kris Ajer and Ryan Christie possibly moving on and captain Scott Brown heading to Aberdeen.

They are especially threadbare at centre-half, with Christopher Jullien not expected to play again until the end of the year and youngster Stephen Welsh and the injury-prone Nir Bitton the only other options.

Cook could even be seen by Howe as Celtic’s next captain.

SunSport has been first all week with developments at Parkhead, including the stunning move for the highly-rated 43-year-old to replace Neil Lennon.

We revealed Howe had been sounded out and indicated his interest in the position.

Then we disclosed his face-to-face meeting with major shareholder Dermot Desmond and outgoing chief executive Peter Lawwell in London.

6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly.

One of the problems of modern day football is this overuse of data and analytics. It certainly has its place, particularly with the fitness side of the game, but as far as characteristics of a player, leadership ability, experience and in-game knowledge those are things that cannot be measured and shouldn't be overlooked due to a few 'bad stats'.

Our current dressing room could certainly do with a few more experienced leaders and good characters so if Cook fits the bill get him signed.

7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    You can't go wrong with a EPL defender...............

8. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Looks a bit pish tbh but I'm judging him on a few mins of youtube footage, not watching him week in, week out for a few years.

9. kingpenman1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Where has it been overused? I’d say the use of mentality leadership is vastly overused

10. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    He is a Championship defender now so we should be fine :56::56:

martin_d and dbhoy72 like this.
  11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yet the people who looked at Duffy’s stats and analysed them knew he was never a player we should be going for...

Gets it
    Won’t be bullied
    Leader
    Captain material
    No nonsense etc.

There’s a reason all the top clubs use stats and data instead of just hiring manager with an ‘eye for a player’.

It’s a reason we’ve been left behind.

12. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Aye but van dijk :56::56:

13. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I'm getting Duffy vibes :fear:

Big Shoes likes this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Same.

15. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

I know what you’re saying

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Stats and analytics are hugely important.

However, I’m also speaking from having watched Cook plenty of times for Bournemouth. He was always one of those players where I thought “he’s still starting for them?” Always looked out of his depth at that level.

He sounds like a good character. But we need to be signing better than him.

The Phoenix likes this.
  17. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I am massively on the Howe bandwagon, even though I've a few wee reservations.

In particular, I worry that there remains a certain snobbishness towards Scottish football which leads those in England to think that what's good in the Championship or lower end EPL = good enough for Celtic. I like Howe a lot but I do wonder if he thinks along these lines. Signings like Cook would not fill me with confidence.

MagicBallBhoy and AdamRS like this.
  18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

By the type of people on twitter that @CountyDownFaithful mentioned that I replied to.
    True but as above, it's the same type of people he was referring to in the post is it not?
    I'll admit I don't know much about Cook, but with all that stuff about cliques in our squad and the lack of professionalism at Celtic just now I'd be happy with just bringing in some role models for the younger guys and characters in the dressing room even if it means they don't play every week.

19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I know people will say smells like Duffy but this guy can actually head a ball while defending.

If we can get him in for a decent price I think it will be good for us. If he is going for free it would be a no brainier bringing in a natural leader when the team badly needs them next season.

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He’s a massive improvement on Duffy but who isn’t? He can actually pass a ball.

He’s more like Efe than Duffy.