1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

I would argue despite an initial up turn in results that during Clarke’s Scotland tenure we have only put in one actual good performance against Serbia. Scotland played very well that night both in defence and attack but that was also akin to a cup final where if you couldn’t raise your game you never would.

Most of the other good wins against Israel, Slovakia, Czech Republic etc the performance was dire and had your eyes bleeding. I would actually argue that the 1-0 defeat to Slovakia was one of our next best performances but that diddy McBurnie missed a number of good chances and we got beat by a deflected goal.

Pragmatic yes, but good to watch is not something I would attribute to Clarke. I don’t think it will be him anyway.

2. celticdaft238

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I really hope they're wrong.

I was watching and listening to stories and interviews about him from players he has worked with at both clubs he has managed and the Ireland set up yesterday, he sounds totally unreasonable and can turn on a sixpence over absolutely nothing.

You're right, it says something that no one has touched him with a barge pole since he last managed...

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. leeso-ardoyne

The more I think about it I can't see the board taking a chance on Keane.

Eddie howe fits exactly what were looking. I never knew much about him before this season but the more I read up on him or watch anything about him, he is exactly what we need. I'd say * be getting appointed soon.

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’d rather Keane than Clarke but they are literally the last 2 options.

5. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I’d take a pishy auld alky over Keane or Clarke.

6. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Have a hunch that the Keane rumours are Desmond's way of helping his aul buddy Roy to get in the shop window. Maybe I'm way off the mark but I feel that's what it is, can't see him getting the Celtic job.

7. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
  8. JamesM09

I don’t want Clarke either but at least it wouldn’t be pure nepotism.

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Clarke could possibly get draws that would be losses but I think we would see some really boring draws or 1 goal wins that should be thumpings.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Not sure McLeish would be interested mate.

11. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Silly *, I wasn’t actually jumping the gun at you. Just saying Keane is the same as lenny but if you take that as a personal attack you need to grow up

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Mental.

A pundit who hasn't been a manager in over 10 years and who was a massive failure in both jobs v a coach with a history of working at the highest level and who has delivered success in almost every job he's been in.

I don't want either but if it comes to Keane v Clarke it's an absolute no brainer.

I'd rather rehire Lennon than Keane.

King Kwon likes this.
  13. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    In broad agreement but a "massive failure" at Sunderland? Not having that. Took them over when they were in the relegation zone in the Championship and won the title. Stayed up the following season which is a success for any promoted team. Resigned the next November after falling out with the board and the team in 18th I think.

14. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Article touches on a point I made on here over the weekend....being that the obvious anti-celtic way of things in this country needs challenged head on with no fear. Can think of no one better than Keane for that in all honesty.

* knows, I don't follow football outside of Celtic so the likes of Howe, Maresca etc I only go with what I read here or twitter. Whatever modern practices they bring to the club in a football sense, that's only part of the picture. They're goanny have to have a bit of attitude and fight to go with their modern approach to coaching because we all know what this * hole is like.

Keane as the spearhead with good, modern coaches under him doing the day to day leg work, with a new structure in the background regarding scouting and analysis? I'll be honest I've no clue how or if it would work, but I don't necessarily go along with the thinking that if it's Keane we're *. It all comes down to the whole band and not just the front man.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He done well to win the Championship but he was backed financially massively to do that and it wasn't anywhere near as competitive.as it is now.

He then spent over £43m+ in the 2007/08 season at a time when other EPL clubs weren't spending those fortunes. For comparison Abramovich-backed Chelsea only spent around £10m more the season before.

Despite that spend they scraped into the non-relegation zone and the following season was pretty non-descript either, with the players celebrating upon hearing that he had resigned.

16. davidhannah

Eddie Howe being linked with Newcastle United, Steve Bruce has just been sacked. I think he would opt for Newcastle over Celtic despite them being Sports Direct's puppet entity.

Also I might have missed something, but Roy Keane wasn't asked about the Celtic job on ITV either.

I haven't a clue who's going to be the next manager.

17. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Has he been sacked?

18. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

?

19. davidhannah

He's not actually. I'm talking *. I should have read the article. He's being touted by fans of Newcastle who don't like Steve Bruce.

20. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Fair enough. Still not a massive failure, I'd put his spell at Sunderland down as successful. He did have a big influx of signings and it's not always easy to get them to gel. He should have stayed on to the end of the season.

What he does probably regret is that he has a habit of walking away from jobs (and Ireland in the world cup) in a petulant huff and so chairmen would be mad to hire him. He would probably do the same at Celtic.