1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaming PC Specs

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Fully87, Jun 18, 2020.

Discuss Gaming PC Specs in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I haven't had a desktop PC for probably around 7/8 years now so while i used to know what was good/decent in terms of MOBO/GPU/CPU i now have no idea. I am looking to get a desktop PC again which would be used for Gaming primarily but also used for working from home (i connect to a virtual machine).

When i last had one i used cyberpower to custom build the PC and having looked around i might go with them again as i had no complaints the last time.

I however have a few questions. Firstly what's an appropriate MOBO so that the PC will be able to be upgraded over time, i don't want one that is limited in terms of future improvements?

Secondly minimum GPU AMD/GeForce? - starting out i don't want top range i am looking to play WoW/Total war/4X games etc... typically turn based strategy games, not really into the ultra high graphic FPS although at some point i would want a system that can handle Flight simulator at decent settings with potential for VR compatibility.

CPU - Preference between AMD and Intel? From what i can see at mid range for gaming Intel looks better priced but not too much between them, looks like AMD Ryzon 3700 is a popular choice.

Any help would be much appreciated. This is the system i am looking at currently, please feel free to critique:

CPU (Processor): AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 6-Core 3.60GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC Compatible (No On-board Graphics)
    CPU Overclocking: Overclocking
    CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 120 Liquid Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator, Extreme OC Compatible (Cooler Master CPU Water Cooling, Extreme OC Compatible)
    Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO: M-ATX w/ 2 RAM Slots, USB 3.2, SATA3
    Memory (RAM): 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)
    Graphics Card (GPU): GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB - DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP - 3 Monitor Support (Single Card)

2. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    What's the overall price on the parts you're looking at?

The A320m is outdated and pretty meh nowadays, and 8GB of RAM isnt great.

You mentioned wanting to play Flight Simulator but unfortunately the 1650 will struggle with that big time, as the 1650 is as entry level for a GPU as you can get for a GPU, albeit Graphics Cards are impossible to get right now.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  3. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Decided for an upgrade on the GPU gone with 1660s 6GB instead and gone with different Mobo ASUS PRIME B450M-A II.

On the RAM I’ll likely buy more separately at some point an additional 8GB.

Total cost 800 quid.

4. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    1660S is a worthy upgrade, fantastic mid-range gpu

That motherboard is fine, but be warned its a Micro-ATX motherboard, which basically means it's smaller than your usual Motherboard, shouldn't make any difference but worth noting.

I would really recommend throwing in another stick to get 16gb of RAM mate, 8 GB should be fine for most games but there are some that will easily push past that, not too sure if you can link shopping websites here but on Amazon you can get a 16gb kit of ddr4 3200mhz ram for £75, highly recommend going with that.

Either way good luck with your build!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    evilbunny1991 likes this.
  5. hidey-holey

might be pretty late since its from 11th, but i cant uderstand the build,
    why splash for watercooling, microatx built that usually more expensive than the regular mid or tower sized atx with regular air cooling, with high speed ddr4 to boot, but cheapen out with only 4GB of gpu.
    money saved from atx and air regular air cooler can go to a better 6GB gpu