1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

I have said plenty times that I think Kennedy has been a major player in how we set up defensively in his time here, and although his job title doesn't say "defensive coach" as a lot seem keen to point out, after yet another shambles today, nobody will convince me he isn't responsible for our defensive frailties. Even forgetting about the goal where we didn't only lose the first header but also the second, there were numerous occasions when we allowed free headers in our box from set pieces. It is like watching schoolboys trying to defend. You just have to put a ball into our box and it is panic stations. People have defended Kennedy because he wasn't the main man, which I don't buy to be honest, he was a centre half himself so he surely must have been heavily involved with the defence, now he is the main man and not a thing has changed. He should have been horsed along with Lennon.

made in ireland likes this.
  2. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I'm going to against the grain here.

While I don't want John Kennedy to get the job, I thought he wasn't far off with the set-up today. A clear idea of how we were going about it. Overloaded down the left side and got at the Balogun and Goldson, had a lot of joy down that side. Unfortunately, we never took enough of our opportunities and our play on the opposite wing didn't compliment it.

There have been small improvements, but we're still guilty of the same things. And it was John Joe Kenny who had 2 mins of a brain fart.

I get the criticism of the subs and you can argue about the team selection. However, we are hamstrung by the poor recruitment, lack of ambition and planning shown by the club.

Hopefully, this will change with a new structure and new coach.

Kennedy wasn't and isn't going to make the dramatic change. He has made changes, a few good ones. But as above, we're crippled by past events.

3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Are you Lennon, are you Lennon, are you Lennon in disguise? Are you Lennon in disguise?

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Fair assessment of how you saw it mate..

We do look a slightly better side than we did under Lennon this season i suppose. Also noticeable that the fullbacks are more in tune and stay really wide under this system than when Lennon was setting it up..

I know Rome wasn't built in a day but there's still thing's like our fitness. We fall away in the second half of most of our game's and it was the same again today. Weren't hanging on like we were at home to the sheep but it wasn't great..

We definitely should've won the match but converting chances has been a problem all year..

Can't defend set pieces to save our lives. No one on the post's again..

These are thing's that ge could and should be working on..

His subs are awful by and large
    He has no plan b whatsoever as seen today and Tannadice
    He is still persisting with the same player's who've failed us all season instead of hungrier player's like Soro sitting out..

We couldn't get any worse than we were under Lennon. I genuinely believe some player's downed tool's and there's possibly 1 or 2 who are playing with a bit more freedom now he's gone. Must've been toxic..

I don't know how much credit I can give him..

Seeing a lot of the bad traits that were here month's ago, being deployed by Kennedy himself..

Creating more chances
    Fullbacks (Kenny was poor today aside) are generally more suited to how we're playing the system

Can't really give him much more than that?

Still has to go for me..

Seán Mac D and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  5. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We had joy on the left against a centre half playing right full.
    The huns see it, change it.

We had passengers out there for long periods. Did we change it, no. Wrong subs. Wrong times.

That's the difference.
    I'm starting to think our team this season was more set up by Kennedy than Lennon.

When Lennon took over originally from the rat we played a faster game getting the ball into the box more often. Last season we were looking a bit laboured till after Christmas when he went two up top and more aggressive offensively. This season totally changed. Our set up was a bad impression of the rats system.
    Lennon had gone to great lengths in almost every interview this season to say he was a different manager, an experienced manager, doesn't do Mr Angry anymore. Basically trying to reinvent himself. He may have allowed Kennedy to convince him how to set up tactically, on team selection and substitutions to that end.
    I don't think it's inconceivable to think that Kennedy could easily have sold himself as a modern, forward thinking coach who could help Lennon be a new man and convinced him such. Not absolving Lennon here, still correct to remove him. Just perhaps Kennedy had more influence over things than we realise, I mean, * all has changed. A new man with new ideas would surely re jig some of it, we have been awful. But no, same old same old.

Kennedy can't be given the gig. He's not the man.

6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Even if we'd won today there was never any chance that he would be considered for the job.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  7. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I would actually have said the polar opposite mate. I think it's a certainty that he's being seriously considered.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

You think DD will give the gig to a guy with zero managerial experience, and this after the Lenny debacle ?

9. Lecs

His substitutions or lack of substitutions was completely baffling to me.

Has anybody told our management that they are allowed to use five substitutes? John Kennedy waits until 78 minutes to bring on Forrest, he should have been on no later than the 65th minute. He also waits until about the 85 minute mark to bring on Rogic, then tops it all off with Griffiths at the 88th minute.

It's a * slap in the face for these attacking guys coming on with about 400 seconds to * have an influence on the game.

Brown was on a yellow and living a bit dangerously, as much as I thought he had a good game Soro should have been on a lot earlier. Why whip Eddy off as well and put on a like for like sub when you're chasing a goal.

Aye today's game meant * all in the whole scheme of things but I would have liked to at least show a bit of intent and try to grab a winner. We looked quite happy with a draw, and Kennedy's substitutions confirmed that.

I would have rather we lost 2-1, but had really went for a winner than the way it just petered out.

Kennedy seems like a nice guy and it's a shame he got a bad injury etc but I'm fed up with celtic men in the dugout clouding fans/board judgement. He's not got it, and I hope him, Laptop Strachan and the other fuds aren't here next season.

martin_d likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I guarantee he's never getting the job..

Turnbulls right peg likes this.
  11. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Sooner this * is out the door the better

he’s part of the problem

elbhoydo and Xatraps like this.
  12. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    DD has only been involved in one managerial appointment in all the time he's been here. And that was because someone spilled champagne on his suit.
    I expect that hurt him more than us spectacularly blowing the ten.
    I'm not expecting him to be involved in recruitment at any level in the coming months. That will be left to his lackeys. Who will consider Kennedy. How seriously they consider him is up for debate, I believe he will be in the mix though.

13. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Possibly, but I guarantee he has been considered.

14. Al Bootyerbaws

What in the name of * were they substitutions all about yesterday?

made in ireland and Slaw like this.
  15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    There's zero chance he's getting the job, not worried about him getting in the slightest actually, the real worry is giving it to someone like Keane or Ross, who do have a shout, albeit a small one, of getting it.

Kennedy should be all over the Aberdeen job, either that or St Mirren as I think Goodwin will leave at the end of the season, both would be a great start for him.

I think he has more potential than say, Lennon, when it comes to management, but he's a good 5-6 years minimum away from managing us, if at all.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Said to my mate at half time “get Griff, Soro and Rogic on now ffs”.. and they get on with 4 mins to play :giggle1:

17. James Gold Member Gold Member

Enzo Maresca come on down

18. Bellbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

If he's in charge for a single game next season I'll greet.

19. murphy88

To be honest, I wouldn't have changed anything at half time. We had totally dominated the game and created enough to have the game wrapped up. 15-20 minutes into the second half when we had gone a bit flat however, then I wanted it freshened up. Out of curiosity, who would have been the three you would have taken off to bring the three you mentioned on?

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah I meant 60min-ish not half time..

Griff for Christie
    Soro for Brown
    Rogic for Ely or Turnbull