1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

Said it before on this thread but this is the wrong attitude.

It's the same one that seen Lennon "get what he was owed" despite being grossly under-qualified.

You would honestly think Scott Brown gave up his dream career as a plasterer to play professional football for Celtic. The guy won the * lottery, he's owed * all but respect for his achievements.

* me, how * does your life perspective need to be to think a multi-millionaire footballer who's lived a life of privilege and been treated like a * for 10 years is owed a * job with a minimum 100k salary.

How about he goes and works for his next job like the rest of us? Why is a statement like that seen as controversial or a dig?

2. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Guys a * LEGEND. Hes been badlly managed at the end of his career. A lot of people with Amnesia all of a sudden since they won.

Hopefully he goes on and has a succesfull coaching career. B silly to sign on again, I dont think he will though

seamus1967 likes this.
  3. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Surely his career as a footballer here, captain, legend, along with his coaching badges, mentoring of other players, coaching of the youths is him "working" towards his future?

In a normal work place, do you just disregard your years of experience in another position when applying for that managers/supervisor/any other promotion job? No of course not, cause thatd be ridiculous.

broonieboy and seamus1967 like this.
  4. jambo_cfc

Not been great this season but far from the worst !! Needs to stay in some capacity next season !! Not one captain amongst the rest of the squad!

5. celtic warrior

As a coach he can go earn his stripes elsewhere, we are not a place that can afford giving ever ex player who wants a go in coaching, roles at this club.

We risk it, if he's a fantastic coach he'll go on and have a great career and be unattainable so be it.

6. horseshoe

I really don't understnad how anyone can look at the state of things this season, Lennon, Kennedy, Strachan, the whole jobs for the boys culture we have right now, want them all binned, then turn around and think Brown deserves to walk straight into a coaching role with us because of his service as a player.

He might turn out to be a good coach and he might not, but we need a complete rebuild behind the scenes right now and a big part of that has to be proven experienced coaching staff at every level, no sentimentality in the recruitment process.

Peej and martin_d like this.
  7. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Away wi ye: Ajer’s already got more about him for the captaincy than Broony has. Doesn’t lose the rag, for one thing.

And ok, Ajer will likely get sold in the summer, but don’t try to paint it as though we desperately need a 36 y/o Broony to stay on. If Ajer goes, we replace him with someone with leadership about them. Until then, he’s a natural for the role.

8. john2061

It's up to the new manager what happens to brown and that's a couple of weeks now that's went by still no sign of a DOF or a manager and the people who are coming in need every day till the champions League qualifiers as this is a big rebuild and if there is no appointment by the beginning of April what the * is going on at the club .

9. The Dude

An organisation that is, or aims to be, exceptional in its field, is unlikely to allow its personnel to change careers on a whim.

Brown's achievements as a player count for little: most former footballer players make ordinary or poor coaches. His aptitude for coaching is what matters.

If few people hold the coaching qualifications that Brown does, perhaps it will be impossible for the club to overlook him, but I suspect that many former football players take the same path and earn the same credentials. In that case, I believe that Celtic ought to give more weight to a candidate's experience in coaching.

The Club needs extraordinary coaches if it is to produce extraordinary players. Brown may well become a great coach, but he has no track record, and, clearly, the Club has appointed too many people on the basis of sentiment rather than ability.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Westlondonscot and JamesM09 like this.
  10. jambo_cfc

ppl thought duffy would bring leadership !! Brown is a tried and tested leader !! Doesnt need to be on the park but his influence would be better than most we have !!

broonieboy likes this.
  11. JamesM09

On the first point, yes indeed. Like I said, that's what he should be doing. I didn't say he wasn't doing that. It seems when I dare suggest we don't "owe" Scott Brown a coaching role it's taken as some sort of criticism of him. I actually think he would agree with me, he seems to know he needs to work for it - it's the supporters that think he is owed it.

On the second point - I did not say don't take his football career into account so I don't know why you've straw-manned that in just to call it ridiculous. Again, I said saying we owe him a coaching role because he's been a great player for us is the wrong attitude.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The Glass comments tell me he has already discussed it and at his age wants to mix coaching progression whilst playing (he is still good enough for SPL) . He himself probably sees that as the best way. He can leave this season with people having a high opinion despite this awful season. People seem to think I'm laying into him, I'm really not. I love Broony and I'd love to see him go and prove himself and then come back if good enough. If the DOF and manager want him as a player coach then I'll accept that. I'm just against the jobs for the bhoys (Lennon, Kennedy, Collins, Mowbray) system the club has used and essentially backfired.

JamesM09 likes this.
  13. Mr. Slippyfist

We don't really "owe" him anything though. We gave him his big shot at Celtic, he's had contract after contract here, he's won silverware and has been more than looked after financially.

If he were to get some sort of youth coaching role at the club, I'd be happy with that, but now I think is the time for us to cut out the "jobs for the bhoys" *.

Let him go to Aberdeen and be his own man.

14. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's the dinosaur way of coaching youth, number 1 priority for young players is development, winning only matters in the first team, it's all about development as young players to get better & better every day.

Anyone involved in football knows the importance of winning by default, no one plays the game to draw or lose, they don't need to be told they need to play to win & if they do, then they shouldn't be involved in football to begin with, because it's not for them.

JamesM09 and Westlondonscot like this.
  15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I disagree. There has to be a balance. Too often now you see youth posing with designer gear and posing in front of cars thinking they have made it.

Players and managers who are ruthless winners, keep attitudes and egos like that in check.

I agree that development should be the priority, but a winning mentality should be cultured from an early age or some might just not cope with the pressures and demands.

16. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's a silly thing to demand in youth, because not all teams can win, an individual player can't make his team win every week on his own regardless of his mentality. Players don't take to the field to draw or lose, at any youth level, they'll always go out to win, that's the aim of the game, but it's easier to have a winning mentality at the Celtic youth academy where you're playing with the best young players in the country as opposed to the St Mirren youth academy for example where you aren't surrounded by the best young players all over the pitch.

What you can do though is develop every single individual youth player at every different youth team, whether it be at Celtic, St Mirren or Airdrie.

As I said, it's all about development, that's how they do it in Holland, Germany, Spain etc, winning is secondary to development in youth both mentally & physically.

17. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    How much good did his influence do this year?

RogicHasMagicToes likes this.
  18. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Makes me laugh that *, failed to get into the CL in five of the last seven seasons under him as captain at the expense of absolute diddies, supreme leadership though, makes everyone around him better etc, yada yada yada

martin_d and Breathnach67 like this.
  19. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Aye I just mean the support as a whole owe him a hella lot more respect than he gets. I'm not into him getting any high coaching roles for being a player at the club.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    If he signs for Aberdeen and plays against us next season a think I’ll * greet.