1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I've never claimed being a good player makes you a good manager or being a bad player makes you a bad manager but simply that experience does count for something. That's true for any field outwith football too.

Having a first-hand experience of doing an activity (and not just learning about it on a laptop/text book) shows an aptitude for the activity itself.

It's not a guarantee that said individual will be able to pass that onto another person through coaching, that's all about how they communicate their knowledge but suggesting it's worth nothing is insane.

If Football was full of Ian Cathro's that learned the game on a MacBook it would be duller than the robotic, auto-pilot play that's riddled in football now.

If a player goes to a coach who's never played at the highest level and asks "how do I deal with the pressure of a hostile away crowd?" "How do you calm yourself in a penalty shootout?" "This players getting a hold of my jersey every time I get near and I'm not getting fouls"

What can a laptop boffin respond? "Geez 2 secs and I'll check the manual"

trackebhoy likes this.
  2. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I agree having that experience will go along way but doesn't guarantee anything. I think the poster you were replying to was just laughing at how fans are falling over themselves even though they don't know how good a manager Duff is.

He could be excellent but nobody knows, same as i've said about Kennedy previously. Even though Kennedy has not covered his managing skills in glory over the last 2 games.

3. Henke102

Duff stepped down from both Celtic and Ireland as an assistant, without much explanation...fair enough he might be a decent coach, just strange walking away from good jobs where he can get some good experience. Leaves questions around his commitment/mentality.

We would all love Kennedy to be a success as manager, but he should really be looking to applying for manager jobs away from Celtic.

4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Because being a high level player literally means nothing when it comes to coaching ability. I can’t believe this is even being questioned with the countless examples through football in every generation.

I never said Duff isn’t any good at judging talent. I said someone having knowledge of a certain area doesn’t mean anything because they could be hopeless at judging talent.Duff could know every youth player in Ireland but recommend us signing * ones.

Knowledge of an would maybe be a good argument for employing him as a scout but it’s completely irrelevant when it comes to coaching, again.

The fact that a similar result happened just a few months later shows it wasn’t a blip.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

He stepped away from Celtic to be closer to his family in Ireland, and walked away from RoI because they pandered to the * English.

He’s a sound guy as far as I’m concerned...

Mince.Charming likes this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

There isn't though.

To repeat, having experience of playing the game at a high-level is no guarantee of being a successful coach but that doesn't mean it has zero value to the role. That's a ridiculous statement.

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mourinho, Ferguson, Klopp, Van Gaal, Wenger etc.

Being a footballer at the highest level has literally nothing to do with a persons ability as a coach. There’s countless examples of great players being * coaches and * players being great coaches.

Genuinely canny believe this is even being argued to be honest.

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Deary me.

Being a good coach isn't contingent on playing a high level, there are good coaches that didn't, you are correct.

Similarly playing at the highest level doesn't guarantee you'll be a good coach.

That doesn't mean that playing experience counts for nothing though, which is what you're claiming.

There are some things that a textbook/laptop can't teach you, which is why those above will defer to those with playing experience on occasion.

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nobody mentioned anything about a textbook or a laptop :giggle1:

A textbook or a laptop don’t coach players. Coaches do.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

How do those coaches gain the knowledge to be able to coach players, if not through doing the activity itself?

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wit?

How do coaches gain the knowledge to be able to coach, if not through coaching?

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Eh? :43:

Surely that knowledge is gained either practically or theoretically? Remove experience of playing the game and you're left with the theoretical.

You have to qualify to become a coach which is done through coaching badges and learning the theory of the game.

13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    So that was what you were asking?

Just because someone played the game at a high level doesn’t mean they understand how to coach. (can’t believe I’m having to say this again)

And coaching is a practical activity. You could have all the ‘theoretical’ knowledge in the world but if you can’t put it into practical use then it means nothing.

I really don’t get what’s hard to understand that playing at the highest level means nothing when it comes to your ability to coach.

Just like an actors ability doesn’t mean anything when it comes to them trying to direct a film. It’s a completely different skill set.

14. Henke102

Which backs up my point about his commitment/mentality...

He does seem sound enough on the open goal interview he done, was surprised he was so candid about the drinking sessions he had with ROI when at the WC etc, fair play to him.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

...and again I can't believe I'm having to point out that I haven't once claimed that :39:

Correct but again you're attacking an argument I haven't once stated :39:

Coaching anything is a practical activity but it requires a knowledge of what is due to be taught. That knowlege can come from practical and/or theoretical experience of the activity.

No-one is intuitively a football coach, they need to learn the game.

In the same way that a plumbing apprentice will attend college for the theoretical knowledge and have practical 'hands-on' time with an experienced plumber.

Just because the experienced plumber is the best in the business at fixing U-pipes doesn't necessarily mean they're equipped to impart that knowledge onto an apprentice, that will be down to how they communicate their knowledge and skills. Which is what I've stated ad nauseam now re a good player turned prospective coach.

It is but their experience of working on-set behind the scenes and dealing with stage, lights, camera-men etc. is advantageous when compared against someone with the same level of directing knowledge who has never worked on a film as actor or director.

16. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe his strength is as a coach & not as a manager. BR praised & tried to take him. I have only heard praise for him as a coach. I know it’s a closed shop but that doesn’t mean it’s false.
    As far as I’m aware he never asked to be the Celtic manager, interim or permanent.
    That’s the boards fault again not forward planning & thrusting him into the hotseat to hopefully protect themselves from the flying *. He was never going to turn it down in the hope he could steady the ship.
    Having some experience at the top level would always be a positive for any manager at the top level. How they use that experience can be the difference.

17. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I agree that having played at a high level gives a person an area of experience that can’t be taught from a txt book and has value in the playing environment. However life skills play just as big part and although you can’t tell another player what it feels like for your sphincter doing 50p-5p waiting to take a penalty in front of 50k fans there are a whole lot more life and technical experiences that is required by a top player

For a manager the clue is in the title (man managing) I believe the most successful managers though not top players were indeed very good man managers but like any successful business it takes a team of coaches and managers to deliver a successful team

Seán Mac D likes this.
  18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    As other have already mentioned, he needs to go away and get managerial experience under his belt before he could even be considered for manager at Celtic.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with all of that :50:

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member