1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Director of Football - Do we want one?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Zander, Feb 13, 2021.

Discuss Director of Football - Do we want one? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Absolutely no to Collins.

I'm utterly convinced he is the reason that deila struggled during his two years.
    Guys more like a military drill Sargent than a motivational coach/manager/DoF or whatever.

He'd want to control too much and over step his mark with a head coach.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wouldn’t have Collins as DOF but would defo have in at the academy coaching.

3. Dubliner1

I feel John Collins would be a good asset to the club in some capacity. I like how he talks about us on TV & Radio. He definitely backs us up. Didn't hold back tonight again up against Maurice Ross & the SFA spokesperson on Sportsound tonight. The more I hear from him the more I'm impressed with him in recent weeks.

martin_d and rkid like this.
  4. Tomas

He'd make sure whoever is appointed manager gets the squad fitness up to a decent standard.weve looked terrible in that respect all season. Collins knows the game and would be an asset to us. The thing I don't get is why do we need a dof ? We need a strong manager with his own background staff.

pablo88 likes this.
  5. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Reason a DoF will benefit us is to allow the manager to deal with the first team while the DoF sorts out the systems through from the academy up and oversee all the other aspects of the footballing side of the club

6. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

I’d do one better with DoF responsibilities and have them conduct media interviews instead of the manager.

It worked with Jock Brown shielding Jansen from our savage parasites we call “media”.

7. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Aye, the DoF is definitely someone that should be regularly out in the media especially during transfer times etc.

The manager should not be exempt but aye DoF should be out there too

martin_d likes this.
  8. snoogins

One of the main reasons a DoF works is they bring continuity. Look at what happened with Mobray his assistant and others left when he did, then Lennon came in and had to bring in his own staff which costs money, and again when Lennon left they left too, same with Delia. Rodgers had a loyal staff and they left to continue working with him and it tore the guts out of our backroom and recruitment staff. After that, we became a basket case and Lennon was given staff to work with it. He never brought in a Mjallby, Parker, or Thomson as he did before, probably cause he was just happy to be working after getting sacked by his two previous employers.

Paying these people off costs a lot of money, but having a DoF you will only be looking to replace the head coach and bringing someone in who fits the club's structure and ethos and not an entirely new staff every time we have to rebuild or start again. There is a chance it may not work but it is how a lot of clubs are finding success right now. What we have been doing for the past 5 years isn't working so it might be worth looking at. If it doesn't work, he gets paid off as we have before

9. JamesM09

Agreed.

The only way Collins is useful in this conversation is he embodies everything we shouldn't be looking for in the role.

If we hire someone like Collins and call it and Director of Football then it's just a lie to appease the fans that are demanding modernisation.

We need a proper DOF with no prior connection to the club. We need someone who doesn't "Know the City" and doesn't "Know what it means".

martin_d and Peej like this.
  10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Don't want Collins as the DoF but of all the ex-players who've been linked with us in any role he's definitely one I'd have to coach our players at some level.

martin_d likes this.
  11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Think the problem is, his method's and knowledge are excellent but he doesn't come across well with the player's..

That's been levelled at him by quite a few I'm sure..

12. john2061

A cheap option again if he's appointed and fans wouldn't be happy and been questioning the ambition of this board for a while now and this appointment would confirm it .

13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I know there was murmurings of that when he was no.2 here but not heard much else mate. He speaks well as a pundit and by all accounts was a top pro who played at a very high level, kind of guy the youth players should be looking up to really.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye I like him as well..

Apparently he was hated at Hibs by the player's. No sure if there was something at Livi as well but i could be talking * there..

JML67 likes this.
  15. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Also bring continuity when ever a manager moves on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Definitely not John Collins.

17. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    As rumours see us linked with pre contract deals for the boy at Sheffield Wednesday and the boy at Wigan Athletic are we going to be the same disjointed shitshow as this season by signing players who new DOF or indeed new coach might not fancy, or do we have our new team all but in place and are pressing ahead with their plans?

18. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    With those I don't see that as too bad a risk, cross border fees only for players that are pretty highly rated so worth taking the risk at as we have glaring gaps right now.

I do agree though, we need the DoF and that in ASAP before we do too much business

19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I would have Collins back as a fitness coach in a * heartbeat.

He is probably fitter than everyone of our team.

DOF absolutely not.

martin_d and trackebhoy like this.
  20. Mr. Slippyfist

Could make him Director of Fitness :crazy3:

Sgt Neppers* and bhoy81 like this.