1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cynic

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Peej, Dec 1, 2020.

Discuss The Cynic in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. snoogins

Not had a chance to listen to the fan media press conference yet. One thing that I have heard is David Turnbull was asked about xG and had no clue what it was or what it meant.

I know that using stats alone to determine performance is a fallacy and you need to balance it against what your eye sees. But not even being aware of it what your numbers or the expected output from your general play? We are lightyears behind so many clubs not just in Europe but in Scotland. Why we aren't utilising these tools when clubs like Man City are hiring statisticians and university lecturers to present this data and inform decisions on the pitch is mind-boggling.

Again though, I haven't listened to it yet so this might be something some moon howler has made up but if it is fact I worry a lot of the money we spend next season will be on infrastructure over the team. I think might teach myself this stuff properly over the summer so I have a better understanding of what these American stats mean and how we aren't using them

david100825 likes this.
  2. green-yin

Could this maybe be something mckay has had a say in? I know hes big on fan engagement

3. James Gold Member Gold Member

This is definitely a positive step if this is going to be a weekly thing. Don't really listen to the Cynic anymore but quite like ACSOM especially Jim Orr and Anthony Haggerty. Listen to 4 tims as well but that can be a bit hit and miss for me