1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Last Summer we were looking for 30m, but I honestly think he cld go for as low as 15m this year!

I dont think there will be as much interest and he will 100% want away!

2. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    If we had sold Edouard in the summer, and had then had the season we've gone on to have, can you imagine the carnage?

The board failed massively by appointing Lennon, by failing to sign McGinn, Castagne, Justin, Toney et al. but keeping Edouard was one of their only positives.

Even though we've had an awful season, I dread to think what it would have been like without Eddy. I take the same attitude to Ajer, I'd refuse to sell him in the summer and keep him for next season, if that means him leaving for nothing the season after so be it. He's worth more to us than the money - which would only be squandered on * anyway.

Hammy89 likes this.
  3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I disagree, most fans knew after 2 seasons of ripping it up for us that Eddie probably wanted away and he was at his peak value. Once again a lack of contingency plan and forward thinking meant we absolutely had to keep him to have any chance as Griff was unfit, Klimala wasn't ready and nobody was lined up to replace Eddie (although Toney fit that mould).

Keeping players here against their will has resulted in the worst dressing room atmosphere at the club in years and contributed to our horrific season. The ten became our only focus and we lost sight of what we should be doing as a club which is consistently developing and moving on players when the time is right.

4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

While I agree with your last point about wasting the money, the rest of the points you make further underline our deficiencies of operating. We shouldn't be feart of selling our top players in case we can't win a league we're heavy favourites for. Yes Lennon played a big part in the poor results but we should be selling players at their peak value and have replacements lined up from the subs/reserves or in the market for when that time comes.

The Phoenix and The Dude like this.
  5. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Been a strange one with eddy this season. Arguably still one of our best players. Top goal scorers and that's obviously just a fact.

That being said, I won't let all that deceive me. I have seen time and time again our attacks break down with eduoard this year. We don't really have any better alternative though. Semi fit Griff, klimala for all his effort cannot finish to save his life and ajeti, well he seems to be a poacher that doesn't find himself in an effective position to poach!?

Eduoard has missed chances all over the place he would have finished in the 2 seasons previous. Anything above £15M I'd take - providing we go out and get a striker of real quality. Don't bank the £9M (after the 40% deduction) and buy a £2M striker. It won't work

6. Foley1888

I am calling bullshit on the 40% thing too, when we loaned Edouard from PSG there was a buy option in the deal for between £9m-10m. It’s reported we paid that option and made the deal permanent. At the point of that loan deal Edouard had just come off an unsuccessful loan to Toulouse making few appearances and scoring once. He was a French youth international but still was nowhere near first team PSG.

So when we loaned him from PSG it’s safe to say there would be no way there was a clause in the loan deal if you want to buy him it’s £9m plus 40% of any future fee/profit.

Given we were forking out £9m on a still relatively unproven player, as he had only really broke in our team the last couple months of the season (around the Ibrox game onwards other than a couple of good showings against Motherwell), and accepting a deal like that. It would mean we would have known buying him he would have to go for £18m plus (a record fee at the time) just to cover our cost roughly if it’s % of sale. If we did Peter better hand back that bonus.

There was also no mention of it at the time of the transfer, where as it was well publicised during the Frimpong deal in terms of us buying and during our sales of VVD and Dembele. Frimpong also cost £300k (not £9m) potentially rising to £1m and 30% sell on which was a deal that would work for all parties. We get a player with potential to make the first team and some cash from a sell on and he was unlikely to make Man City first team. They get a small fee with the potential of securing a decent return (additional £4mish) due to performance and sell on.

The Dude likes this.
  7. Lewis Kerr

For the standards he set himself in the last couple of years - he has had an absolutely awful season (for various reasons). Yet he is still our highest goalscorer and biggest threat, says a lot about the state of the current crop.

I have been bitterly disappointed with him more than anyone. Looks half the player he used to be. Definitely stagnated. It will be interesting to see how he develops in the future and if the hype was real or not. This time last year he was easily a 30 million pound player. I shudder to think what we will actually receive for him in the end, and how we'll * less than half of what we get on a "replacement".

8. Gurru 991

Vardy is 34 and showing signs of slowing down, it would be the perfect place for Eddy to break in to the Premier league. As you mentioned, having players like Maddison & Tielemans feeding him the ball could only improve his game.

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    The guy has been off the boil this season but he’s still top goal scorer in the league and that’s with our attacking build up play being utter guff this season should be getting 20 million no bother this story I think is to entice bidders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Worries me he valuation is plummeting, has PSG not got a ridiculous sell on fee? 50% or something?

11. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

We've rejected the bid from Leicester according to this guy

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Swear to * the sell on fee for him gets bigger everytime its mentioned, started at 25%, went up to 30%, then 40% and now 50%.

It's most likely somewhere in the ballpark of 15-25%, which is still a kick in the balls.

Peej and Noskeil like this.
  13. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I’ll be amazed if we owe PSG a sell on fee for Eddy

Hammy89 and Slaw like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Gurru 991

I'd be amazed if you don't but it's more than likely to be 10 or 15 percent. I would be absolutely shocked if it was 40% and if it was I would immediately fire whoever negotiated that

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He's already on his way out the door ;)

But seriously, never in his day has Lawwell allowed such a clause in a deal. I can't imagine he would have pushed the boat out for £9million AND offered 40% of any profit.

Likely it is under 20%.
    Otherwise the deal would have been a lot lower than £9million.
    And was the deal not already struck as a future purchase option on the loan? Again, hard to imagine Lawwell would have agreed to that on an 18/19 year old coming in on loan.

17. saltire78

I'd be stunned if there's not a 'significant' sell-on fee, but I'd imagine it'll be something like 20-25% of everything over the £9m we paid for him.

Makes no sense to sign some player that we pay £9m upfront, sell after being a flop for his time say £3m and then pay them another £1m as an insult. Pretty sure virtually all sell-on clauses negate the original outlay

Edit: although we'd obviously still need to make up any existing installments owed on the initial fee

18. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Exactly, most of our signings are in the 2 - 3 million bracket, for us to pay £9 million for an unknown young striker thats had relatively no first team action, plus the drive by “gun” incident, theres no chance PSG where getting a sell on.

I think its just the huns spreading *

19. Sin

He was hardly unknown was he, he was here for a season on loan and impressed the * out off us!
    He is and was a France Under 21/19 and looked to have a great future.

I would be more surprised if PSG didn't have a large sell on clause.

Is it 40%? I have no idea I would for sure expect at least 20% though, don't forget this is just on the profit of the sale, not on the total sale, I think some are getting confused by this.

As long as we also get a large sell on clause then I am fine with selling him, we will need the money for the rebuild.

20. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He was here on loan with an option to buy, the price would of been set at the start of the loan agreement so it doesn’t matter if he impressed, the price remains the same.

bigmac7288 likes this.