1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Kenny Dalglish a Celtic legend?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TicFan88, May 23, 2016.

Discuss Is Kenny Dalglish a Celtic legend? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Definitely a legend

Years
    Team Apps (Gls)
    1969–1977
    Celtic 204[3] (111[3])
    1977–1990 Liverpool 355[4] (118[4])

What the man took on after Hillsborough was truly awe inspiring. Apparently his door was always open for the families of the victims, grieving family members would literally knock on his door in a mess and Dalglish always brought them into his home and gave them his time and support

packybhoy likes this.
  2. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Sir Kenny Dalglish - Rangers super scout.

I jest. Before my time but an unbelievable player by all accounts. The poll result is pretty conclusive, I’m a little surprised by that margin. Always a great topic to get a few of the older heads arguing in the pub.

3. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Does that not make him a Liverpool legend

4. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    The question is do you see yourself as A Celtic legend Kenny?

, eh eh eh mibees aye mibees naw

5. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I wasnt old enough to see him play for us but my da always said with contempt he was a world class, I always get impression from many that he was a class player for us but not considered a true celtic legend, maybe as soon as he left he greatly reduced any affiliation to Celtic?

6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    He was a fantastic player for Celtic.

He ruined his reputation with the Barnes experiment.

Met him and the and the team while in Portugal and he was an utter *, same with Barnes, Terry McDermott.

Ian Wright was the worst * I’ve ever met.

back to Kenny more of a Liverpool Legend than Celtic for me.

7. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

”You always dream of playing for the team you support but the most important thing for me was I just wanted to be a professional footballer. Fortunately I fulfilled my dream. When Rangers don’t take you, it’s not the end of the world. It just means that when you later play against them and score, it makes it a wee bit more special.” – Kenny supported Rangers as a boy but was and is a Celtic legend, the lesson is, don’t cross Kenny.

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Part of me feels that while probably one of our best players ever he isn't a Celtic legend because people generally associate him with Liverpool. Considering the success he had at Liverpool as player and manager I understand that.
    I think you can be a legend of one club but if people feel he is a legend then I completely understand.

TonyTim likes this.
  9. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Kenny was a world class player for us, absolutely superb. But his greatest achievements in the game have been with Liverpool and that makes him a Liverpool legend. Like a lot of past players he like to put the knife in to us at times for some reason especially this season, constantly talking up Slippy and the Huns but berating our support . When he came back with Barnes, some of his interviews and fans meetings were cringeworthy as *, not a Celtic legend for me.

10. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

My belief is he is a legend for us.
    People on here are saying he was truly world class while at Celtic but not a legend. I find that hard to understand. Especially when top people inside football with great knowledge including Jock Stein also agreed about his footballing status.

He agreed to stay longer than he needed to or possibly should have out of respect for Jock Stein & our club.

KRS-1888 and Senna s1979 like this.
  11. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    He can be a legend for both clubs (which he is), it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.
    Larsson won the CL with Barca and is considered a legend within their fan base, does that mean we shouldn't also?

Seems to me a lot of our past greats get sneered at because they moved clubs and done well for the other club also - Nicholas, McClair etc.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    wee green dug, Moore and KRS-1888 like this.
  12. Mr. Slippyfist

Player - yes

Ex-player, no * chance

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Nicholas gets sneered at because he seems like a right miserable *.

14. saltire78

Very tricky question to answer, but I went with no...

The reason being that I think he was a Celtic GREAT as a player, but for me the legends are about more than just what they do on the pitch. It's about folk who absolutely embody the sense we all have about the club. They're the folk who may criticize, but it's for constructive reasons and they mostly appreciate and speak well of the club. It's about the guys who still tweet support and compliments years after they leave/retire, come to matches, show up of their own volition to supporters clubs and events. It's Bertie Auld jumping about like he's still 18, Cesar and McGrain making you just feel proud as they calmly walked about among you, Larsson gone and away to bigger things many years after we'd any right to keep him but still saying how proud HE was to play with us...

Kenny doesn't tick the box for me. Only time I remember him saying anything nice about us was when it suited his own purposes and I've no stories of him going out of his way for club/support. Phenomenal player, but no legend in my opinion

Westlondonscot likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Kenny will be fawning over slippy and that mob stopping the 10..

Rydo1888* likes this.
  16. saltire78

I have the distinct feeling this is 100% how it's going to go down