1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Europe 2021-22

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Peej, Jan 31, 2021.

Discuss Europe 2021-22 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    If we progress past QR2 into QR3 we drop directly into Europa league I’m sure if we lose in QR3.

We should be able to beat teams like Brondy/Rapid Vienna and even Sparta Prague even though I know they pumped us. That should be realistic then it’s a free shot against the likes of Shahktar etc...

2. Cringer67

what a load of nonsense. I fully expect us to challenge for the league next season. Anything less is unacceptable. We arent up against Man city ffs. Everything that could go right, has gone right for that mob this season, and the opposite has been the true for us (granted a lot was of our own making). The stars wont align like that for 2 years running for them I guarantee it. They aren't some Harlem globetrotter outfit who dispatch all before them, and they are absolutely nowhere near as good as they think they are. If we get our act together over the next 5 months there's absolutely no reason why we cant win the league next season and I wont hear otherwise.

seanm and Turnbulls right peg like this.
  3. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We're more than capable of beating those teams. Get it right in the summer and you never know. The only way is up.

seanm likes this.
  4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    We bizarrely might find qualification easier against teams like Shakhtar/Porto/Besiktas etc.

As an institution, we just cannot function well against the type of teams we have been used to playing at this stage from Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Baltics etc.

It’s not right..

callumrae1967 likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Most said the same for this season, to focus on the ten.
    Europe was a write off (in a backwards way) and we still * it all up.

I stand by though, we need to stop having Europe as a second thought. Basic logic tells you, if we have a squad capable of being respected in the CL, then we have a squad capable of wiping the floor in Scotland, by default.

If we keep just making the league the main goal, we will never improve enough to push forward in Europe.

AdamRS and Lewis Kerr like this.
  6. Lewis Kerr

Don't expect anything from Celtic in Europe for a while, not even EL qualification which I usually expect as a bare minimum.

We are massive bottlers and cowards on the European stage. Our record since 2003 speaks for itself. Since we bottled it vs Copenhagen I lost all faith in this club to progress in Europe. All of us and myself have dreamt of another good European run again, and we have had capable sides in the last 5 years. Ultimately though, you just end up being disappointed.

7. WhitleyCelt

The rebuild will take 2-3 months to bed in. Europe is a complete write off next year because we have to play in June. I expect us to perform in Europe but I am also realistic at how badly managed at board, scouting and footballing levels we have been over the last two years. But if they are all gone by May then I’ll be happy to start from the bottom and get it right within the next 2-3 seasons.

It’ll give us a small edge in the league if anything.

8. Lewis Kerr

This mentality has crippled us for a while now. It is one of the reasons why we have become so *.

"Focusing on the 10" has * our progression big time. It is even more sickening that in our decline, we clearly haven't even focused on being the best domestically.

We've regressed in every way imaginable.

Peej likes this.
  9. WhitleyCelt

I actually agree with this. The recruitment of old was always for the future but good enough for the future, a couple of first team quality players, one or two diddies and a couple of loans whilst trying to flog a couple of stars for big money.

Since 10 come along, the signings have been irrational, irresponsible and down right bizarre. And I lay that blame straight on Nick Hammonds door that next season we will have half a squad.

If we were in the hunt for the 10 we’d have never sold Frimpong IMO. They knew it was done and a chance to cash in. Sums it up.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  10. Foley1888

Sadly I think if we had not got such a tough group in the CL in 16/17 season and managed to get third then we may have managed a run that year in the Europa. It really depends on the draw though these days more so than back in 2003.

There’s them got the chance to get to the last 8 of a European competition without having played any team from one of Europe’s top five leagues, and they got to the last 16 doing the same last year.

Not beating Copenhagen last year was a real missed opportunity as they were pretty poor and there for the taking in both first half’s of each leg we should have scored at least 3 goals.

Likewise I don’t expect much in Europe next year, just given the timing of the qualifiers and the likely squad turnaround and new manager needing time to get their way of working settled in. It would be a major turnaround for us to get a lot of business done early and actually give the manager and team the best chance possible.

11. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I get that but we don’t have a squad to wipe the floor in Scotland just yet.

We did have one but slowly let it get worse and now we are in the position we are in.

I’m sure the following season will see the champions of Scotland into the groups if I’m not mistaken and that would be a massive boost regarding money for the club.

So making the league a priority is more important than Europe next season for me.

12. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    We can focus on the league while winning the UEFA Conference League...

seanm likes this.
  13. seanm

Not a * hope without a complete rebuild.HH

14. seanm

Hope so.mate.HH

15. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Defensively They are VERY SOLID. how many goals have they conceded in the league? We have a serious rebuild. They can celebrate their first EVER league title all they like but they KNOW that they let their club DIE. Hail hail.

Cringer67 likes this.