1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Director of Football - Do we want one?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Zander, Feb 13, 2021.

Discuss Director of Football - Do we want one? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

I am hoping we hear something about a DoF/ Technical Director soon as I feel this will dictate who our manager/ head coach will be.

I listened to David Webb speaking on one of the podcasts and was impressed with how he came across but so fear that given he is doing the round on the fan media circuit he isn’t seriously in the running.

I think he and the likes of a Howe could be a good team.

On the other hand Harkin or Tognozzi may be better in the transfer market given the amount of players we need in so hypothetical a Tognozzi and Seoane from Young Boys would be an exciting team all be it a bit more risky but potentially with a bigger reward.

2. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They did however get that Ross Wilson guy in along with Michael Beale they've both clearly made a difference.

Creativecelt likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    As much as we have too many fickle fans who will just agree to everything the club tells them, buying merch and tickets blindly, we equally have some who will forever not be happy and have stupidly high expectations.

Benitez would be amazing, but guys like him, Jose, poch, all mentioned last time are absolutely pipe dreams.
    These guys are on stupid levels of money that we would never be expected to pay out.

They are the managerial equivalent to Suarez, Higuaín etc.
    Madness if folk believe that is what we are going to get.

Howe is about as high as we can punch, alternatively it's going tabroad and finding the fancy foreign name equivalent.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

cat123 likes this.
  4. Foley1888

Yeah Wilson had a good rep earlier in his Southampton career before it went a bit wrong and he left before probably getting punted. He seems to have a better relationship with Gerrard than the predecessor Allen who left.

On Beale he seems to get credited as being the tactical brain behind their operation which I think is clear it is not Gerrard given how quickly he has resorted to throwing his players under the bus in the past when their bottle had gone in past seasons.

However for all their plaudits this year our tactically inept coaching staff had them outfoxed at new year had our team been able to finish, find a final ball as we wasted some amount of good chances and situations in the first half from one on ones to simple cut backs being misplaced to missing a header inside the 6 yard box. They couldn’t get out their wingers were playing like an extra full back and full backs were pinned back. Their midfield was chasing shadows and pulled all over the shop and they were left to punt forward hopeful balls which were dealt with. The game changed as our pressing eased off and the referee twice failed to take the appropriate action and send of Morelos then Davies for ridiculous challenges. He wasn’t so hesitant when it was Bitton.

I don’t know why but I am quietly confident with the right appointment and a better showing in the transfer market that we will be a far better team next year.

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Can't see us getting Seoane as I'm sure a few teams across Europe will be eyeing him up now, especially if they knock out Ajax.

6. Foley1888

That may be true but I did say hypothetically, so someone else who is a relatively young dynamic manager, making strides in a league we could tempt them from to fulfil that role could be quite exciting.

I think Howe is the target it is just whether he fancies it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    JML67 likes this.
  7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    The club need to move with the times and the damage they done in the last 18 months on the park needs changing and having a DOF is the way forward

8. JamesM09

I'd like to see us looking more to the continent and a DOF with contacts abroad would be the way to do it.

There might be some pain points at first trying to adapt the club to a European style but in the long run it would be worth it.

Either way a competent DOF is a must along with serious structural change, or we'll continue our decline to European minnows.

Peej, Tommy25 and AdamRS like this.
  9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I wasn’t saying that was the only thing pal, just stating one thing they had that I don’t think the rest of scotland will allow no matter what league it’s in.

Foley1888 likes this.
  10. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    In all honesty I'd be quite happy with howe too alongside the right Dof. Comes across as a young modern attack minded manager that would analyse and go over everything and is more experienced than some of the other candidates. Yeah Bournemouth got relegated but he got them up there and kept them up for a few seasons

Tommy25 likes this.
  11. snoogins

I agree with all of this! A lot of people are saying they don't want him cause he was relegated but he turned Bournemouth into a decent team for basically nothing. In his first stint at the club he took them from League 2 relegation battle to safety, then promoted the next season. Went to Burnley but it wasn't the right fit, but even then Burnley finished 8th in the championship before he left.

Back to league one and Bournemouth where he got them into the Championship and two years later Premiership. He has previous of playing attractive attacking football and working on a small budget. One worry major worry though is mentality. He left Burnley for "personal reasons" then rocked up at back at Bournemouth a few weeks later. I dunno if he needs to be in a place that he is "loved" to get the best from him or he doesn't feel himself unless he's on the south coast but if we could create the same sort of feeling he had at Bournemouth i Think he could flourish

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    martin_d likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

:fear:

Becoming Celtic's director of football would "of course be of interest" to John Collins, the club's former midfielder says.

Collins believes the club must appoint a director of football before selecting a new manager after Neil Lennon left.

The 53-year-old was assistant manager at Celtic between 2014 and 2016 and was previously director of football at Livingston.

"I believe I've got the skill set," Collins told BBC Radio Scotland.

"Of course it would be of interest to me."

Collins also played for Hibernian, Monaco, Everton and Fulham and won 58 caps for Scotland, going to three major tournaments.

He moved into management with Hibs, winning the Scottish League Cup in 2007, and also had a spell in charge of Belgian side Chareloi.

Lennon's assistant John Kennedy has been in interim charge of the first team for Celtic's past two games - a win and a draw - and the club this weekend relinquished the Scottish Premiership to Rangers after nine titles in a row.

"Celtic's played a big part of my life but I know there's a lot of experienced people in for the job," Collins said on Sportsound

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I like the wee man and also think he has the right principles/idea's, but no thanks :giggle1:

stubhoy07 likes this.
  14. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    The only thing that's gonna cheer me up is when we announce a dof. More important than the manager/coach considering the predicament we are in

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

15. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    More jobs for the bhoys, yeah!

King of Kings likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Hardly jobs for the boys

He wasn't exactly well liked last time

17. john2061

Don't know why the club can't announce the DOF and he gets into doing his job which will be a big job .
    Hopefully the guy has a lot of experience and we can get our title back .

18. shieldsybhoy

John Collins, hahahahah. I dinnae think so big man.

19. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    The important man at Young Boys is their DOF Spycher. He's the key for their recent success. Seoane does a good job but I'm not convinced of him. Spycher is the one who brings in talented players and who must have a good network for African players. As soon as one of their great forwards leaves he's bringing in a new one. But he just said he's not leaving so I don't see us getting a competent DOF in. Probably getting Collins :giggle1:

20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    No thanks to Collins. His only qualification for the role is a previous link with us.

I also fundamentally disagree with his suggestion that you have to had played the game at a high level to understand it. Plenty footballers - very good ones in some cases - know very little about football outside of the day to day reality of their tiny piece of it.