1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Director of Football - Do we want one?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Zander, Feb 13, 2021.

Discuss Director of Football - Do we want one? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Both have a B team in the league pyramid

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    This is always a plus, Spain has it too. I think as long as the teams cannot get into Premier league or either cups (but can enter the Tunnocks one) then that would be great. Lower league teams would probably see their attendance go up as fans would see the Celtic b team if they are playing locally. The Scottish football team team would improve as players would get experienced at a young age.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  3. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
  4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Totally. players like dembele , welsh, oko flex etc. Could have had 3 full seasons of senior football by now. Ready physicality wise to make the transition to first team football with us

5. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I started a thread on here seven years ago, around the time we brought in Deila (a very continental style of manager), to gauge opinion on a Director of Football. Views were mixed (including my own), but football has moved on a lot since even just then, and we've been well and truly left behind.

With the possible exception of Man Utd, I can think of no club in Britain right now that more desperately lacks a DoF than we do.

Peej likes this.
  6. Mr. Slippyfist

According to football manager 21, he’s a celtic supporter.

7. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Bik has done well for himself.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He is.

Pretty vocal about it on twitter as well.

9. saltire78

Let's look at the huns here... Gerard was getting his * handed to him, week in and out, until they brought in that DOF from Man City. Next thing all he does is coach and press * and the other guy does all the 'brain work' and they improved exponentially. Compared to our setup where Lennon was playing everything old school and we regressed dramatically.

Therefore, in my opinion our choice must be a knowledgeable DOF (preferably from European pedigree), with a dedicated COACH (Not manager!) below him, or we need to push the boat out on a Rodgers style manager and staff to combine the roles.

Not at all confident we'll not * up either approach, with the Barras knockoff version...

SuperZidane and jambo_cfc like this.
  10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Allen appointed Gerrard.

And was so bad as DOF he was punted and now back in academy football.

11. saltire78

Talking about the guy they brought in around the the 2018-19 season. No idea what his name was though

12. Foley1888

Where their B teams certainly help them there is a whole lot more these teams are doing than Celtic at present.

Another point worth noting is their B Teams or in Salzburg’s case sister clubs too, compete at a level just one below the parent club which is essentially their leagues Championship. Even if we get a team in the leagues it’s likely to be league 2 which is better than nothing but considerably below the level the players will need to be at to make our first team.

For me it is the scouting operations and breadth of both Ajax and Salzburg (RB generally). They already have the majority of their next generation in before losing the current one and reinvest when they do lose first team players at a level appropriate to the fees they are receiving. Salzburg are probably a better comparison to us than Ajax in that mould as Ajax operate at a level or two above what we do in terms of the fees they demand and progress in European football.

Another difference is the pathway from the youth teams, feeder team to first team is far clearer and efficient than ours. Salzburg also use loans well to either get players ready or put them in the shop window if they won’t make it at us.

Both those clubs have clear philosophies and all levels of those clubs are designed to operate under those philosophies and the staff responsible for them are recruited on that basis.

We have a lot of work beyond just getting a B team to get us there.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Looks like Webb is doing the rounds in either a method to get his name and hype going to get the job - or to sound the fans out before being confirmed by the board.
    The alternative still seems to be the Man City link with Harkin which seems more likely considering the connections to Desmond he already has.

Personally, I would go for Webb as he doesn't seem to have that link and listening to some of the podcast stuff today, he understands the role required and looks to the modern side of football. Him in place, we wouldn't be signing Lennons again for sure.

He has a few connections in England and even abroad, I reckon if he was announced by end of March, he would have a manager and a backroom staff sorted for the end of April and ready to hit the ground to assess the last few weeks of the season before they all * off for their holidays before pre-season.

Ideally, now, that would be the way forward.

Ideally it should have been done 3 years ago while Rodgers was still here, but lets be positive these days.

The Phoenix likes this.
  14. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Would definitely rather Webb than Harkin.

Harkin is just more jobs for the boys.

Peej likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yeah fully agree.

Even if it is Harkin, I will give him his chance, but I think a lot of us will be watching with careful eyes knowing his connections to the men in charge already.

Jobs for the boys and being "Celtic minded" is destroying us at times, just look at this season.
    But not every Celtic minded lad is a bad one of course, just look at Rodgers.

16. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I think a Webb/Howe appointment wouldn't necessarily be a bad move they sound like they have decent experience and could be a success.

It's not box office though and a lot of fans would need to be convinced.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Doesn't have to be box office as long as we make the innovative restructuring needed to our whole footballing operation..

And then employ a coach who can deliver the shared ethos, an ethos that is sustainable and maintained even when that coach moves on..

Howe was dreadful in the transfer market at the end of his time at Bournemouth, so if we do go with someone like him, recruitment should really be overseen by the DoF with the coach consulted.

cat123 and Peej like this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

If Howe isn't box office, and I suppose he wouldn't really be, then who is? If anyone is expecting a bigger name than him then they're delusional.

And as JC said, we don't need a box office name. Just a forward thinking, modern manager with a good CV.

JML67, Rydo1888*, JC Anton and 2 others like this.
  19. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I'd be happy with Howe but there are a lot fans that want someone like Benitez. That's all I'm meaning some season ticket holders might be expecting a big name.

20. celtic warrior

Is there honestly anyone who is feasibly attainable that is as close to the rep Rodgers had before coming?

Howe is likely the closest in terms of regular names banded about. If anyone seriously expects us to go arguably a level above and make serious efforts to sign, i dunno, Rafa as an example. That is pure pipe dream madness. Not happening.

Howe would a great appointment assuming the right DoF is in with him and we make serious changes to out set up from youth progression to scouting and modern training tactics and analysis.

cat123 likes this.