1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I'd probably take Southamptons manager :fear:

2. Ak1

Ralph has a reputation for defeats conceding 9

Not sure we could go through that again!

3. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I think everyone is being a bit harsh on Paul Lambert FFS.

He was linked with the job purely by the media and he came out and said he wouldn't take the job because he didn't want to spoil his reputation with the fans. He also had a dig at the players who have not been performing.

All fair IMO.

Peej, martin_d, James Mc and 7 others like this.
  4. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I agree. He was asked the question and said he is not interested. Which is fair enough considering he would indeed be a disaster. But the headlines makes it seem like he ruled out our hopes of getting him which is not the case.

martin_d, SwissCelt, cat123 and 2 others like this.
  5. SuperZidane

Agreed - he was asked a question and answered it. He didn't bring it up.

ede and cat123 like this.
  6. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    With this Celtic Board? Don't bank on it

7. david100825

Why would we risk Maresca? Absolutely zero track record. Ridiculous idea that would set us back further.

Slaw likes this.
  8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If it is who the DOF wants then I'd say there is probably a reason for it, and it will only be him if the Harkin rumours are true. We need 2 people to work together, especially for the summer.

david100825 and SuperZidane like this.
  9. Connolly08

Of course I mean let's just get Mark Mcghee in or Gordon Strachan....

Would you take Pep Guardiola? If so, you do realise he started his management at Barcelona B? Was it ridiculous for them to appoint him? Think outside the box. Football has changed and it requires someone with a different philosophy.

AdamRS and Dublin Celt like this.
  10. celtic warrior

What we require is a manager with modern ideas, progressive ideas, professional standards who analyses everything and instills the same standards on his players.

We need someone who can come in, with a modern vision of how football should be played, given the resources to bring in players who fit that system and then the club via a forward thinking DoF needs to overhaul every aspect of football at the club so we can set up to become the technical hub for the future of Scottish football and develop serious technical footballing talent that can in some ways match up to what almost every club in mainland Europe does to which Scotland still seems stuck with this early 00's / 90's idea of what a player should have.

We should be * blitzing the domestic competition, no two ways about it.

Tommy25, Double Dutch and Heb Celt like this.
  11. david100825

He sure did start there after a year coaching the B side and a career embedded in their philosophy. It was a huge risk to appoint him at the time but time proved them correct, it's also the exception at huge clubs to take a punt on someone with absolutely no managerial experience. He also had very little to rebuild taking over Champions League semi-finalists.

But sure, let's just hire anyone that emphasises possession-based football to make sure we feel like we are keeping up with some trend. Remember Caxinhia was heralded as a mini-Mourinho much like many other poor Portuguese coaches have fed off that fashionable tag.

12. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby

Quite refreshing compared to say Sutton who said Mick McCarthy and Michael O'Neill

Bonobhoy likes this.
  13. SuperZidane

It depends who you are comparing him to - obviously I'd sooner have Howe, Lampard or Martinez. Clarke would be a safer option if not an exciting one.

However, some of the names on the bookies list - Keane, Neil, McCarthy, Ross - I'd take a chance on Maresca or Maloney over them any day.

There are no guarantees whoever you choose but, as far as I'm concerned - we either get one of the candidates on the "A list" or we take a chance - a Harkin/Maresca combination would inspire me to at least give them a chance - someone like Keane, we'd just be waiting for the first bust up with the players.

14. jambo_cfc

I think it will be webb as DOF with howe as manager

15. horseshoe

The infuriating thing is we had two of these on the trot, ok Ronny as a manager wasn't the best but when he came in he did a complete overhaul of the behind the scenes * with fitness and diet to modernise us after Lennon, and he had a system he wanted to play even if it didn't always click, but the foundation was there when Rodgers came in and with a few tweaks to the squad rather than a massive overhaul was able to take us up a few notches. That we've allowed standards to slip so far with Lennon in charge again is absolute madness.

Tommy25, MusselburghBhoy and AdamRS like this.
  16. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Webb appears to be doing the entire Celtic podcast circuit just now.

Doesn’t enhance his job prospects at all IMO

17. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Yeah that would suggest to me he isn't in the running

Bobo_ likes this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye, for me he has been asked this question every time for a decade or so now. Guy (along with Moyes) must be * sick of it by now.
    He will have knocked it back before, for good reasons. More respect to the lad for not changing his tune and sticking to his guns.

cat123 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  19. NorwichCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Rogic All time - Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Valerien ismael

worked wonders with lask Linz in Austria , topped their Europa league group

managed Barnsley this season a team destined to go down , took over when they were 21st in championship , they’re now just outside the playoffs and only 2 teams in the championship have won more games than him since he’s come in and they play attractive high pressing football

young , experienced in Germany with Wolfsburg , cheap and easily attainable, surprised he hasn’t been mentioned

Valhalla, Rendog, The_Bhoy and 5 others like this.
  20. celtic warrior

Interesting choice, could rub up fans the wrong way who only see Barnsley and think, why the * are we targeting Barnsley manager.

But still, seems to be having a good run at it with teams managed so far