1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth/Development Team Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, Oct 25, 2014.

Discuss Youth/Development Team Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Don’t let Lenny see this

3. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Who is over the Youth set up now ?

4. shaunm

Colt teams being mentioned again,hopefully it happens

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THE Old Firm are willing to pay £3million to buy spaces in the SPFL for Colts teams.

SunSport can reveal Celtic and Rangers have offered to give £1.5m each to League One and Two clubs.

The money would be spread over five years and would secure access for the Colts to an extended bottom tier.

That financial injection could be tempting for cash-strapped clubs hit hard by the Covid-19 pandemic. But it’s understood there is also fierce opposition to the plan and it remains to be seen if it goes to a vote.

The introduction of Old Firm Colts teams has been a thorny issue in Scottish football for years.

Promotion would be capped at a certain level — meaning there is no chance of reaching the top tier.

Lower league clubs would enjoy bigger crowds, due to interest from Old Firm fans.

The Old Firm believe it would be ideal for developing their kids and would bring cash to the SPFL.

But certain clubs are sure to be dead against it.

Speaking on Colts proposals earlier this year, Peterhead boss Jim McInally said: “I’ve always been against it and I always will be, so it doesn’t matter to me what they say about it.

“Scottish football doesn’t owe it to Celtic and Rangers to develop their players.”

6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Personally, I'd like to see it but I can understand teams in the lower leagues not being that keen given how well funded we are.

7. shaunm

If it’s ever going to happen,this is the time,clubs are skint,money talks

The_Bhoy likes this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If do it, if we restructured the entire league setup.
    Two leagues, 22 teams each division. Add the two colts in and pay the proposed £3millon up front.

Take a bit of leadership in this whole thing and push for proper changes while financially helping those leagues out.
    Simply put, championship merges with the premiership.
    With the relegation/promotion between league one and the championship to be completed before the merge happens.

Big proper league with more exciting mid table battles.
    Scrap the league cup completely and run a two legged Scottish cup starting in October.

Colts in the lower league would be ideal. Specially if they are stupid enough not to have a reserve league again.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Noskeil likes this.
  9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Agree on the restructure needed but not the top division being 22 teams. Maybe 2 teams from championship deserve to be in consistently but the rest are * *. Our football would just regress. Need a 3 division system with our colts in the bottom division and only 1 over 23 player allowed

10. shaunm

Needs to be an under 21 team imo,maybe with 3 under 23s,guys like klimala and soro would have benefited playing in colts team for a year,getting used to Scottish football when they initially joined.Also the youth players we have lost might have stayed as would of been playing men’s football at 16 year old ie Morrison Hepburn and the young boy away to man city

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. Turnbulls right peg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    I do understand some clubs stances on it but some of the arguments against sound like a bit of jealousy , Its hardly a new concept a few other countries in Europe have B teams in lower leagues

callumrae1967 likes this.
  12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It would be huge for Scottish football, it should have happened years ago.

13. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    There's definitely a get it up the old firm type mentality.

Twisty likes this.
  14. celtic warrior

Is this perhaps a system that has helped the likes of barca, real Madrid and other Spanish clubs churn out youth players?

Doesn't Germany have something similar. Both European nations known for constantly developing new talent.

If Scotland could do it, it would great.

15. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah, Bayern have a team in the 3rd division. They also cannot be promoted from this league.

16. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    SFA have set us back years if not decades in terms of our development squad. It shows the complete incompetence of the authorities setup. 42 “professional” teams yet canny even muster a reserve or unders league? That’s * at best.

We need a “B” team to progress, near every decent team in Europe has either a solid reserve league to rely on or a B team if not, the SFA don’t have plans on either.

The question I have is, I know we share capallow atm, but if we were allowed a permanent B team would we build a 5k stadium for them? As I’m guessing even as a B team, the fans will still want to go watch and support them.

callumrae1967 and The Dude like this.
  17. The Dude

It is time that we forced the issue.

* and semi-professional teams should have no place in our professional leagues, in my opinion, particularly if they are impeding the development of our most promising young footballers: we are sacrificing our next generation of élite players, so that joiners and plumbers can play at being professionals.

Scotland is a country of five-and-a-half million people: it has no need for 42 senior clubs. Cut the bottom two leagues from the professional set-up, and allow top clubs to field reserve sides in the second tier.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Noskeil likes this.
  18. The Dude

They should be grateful that the professional clubs in Scotland allow them to play in the senior set-up, since they bring nothing whatsoever to the table.

If they object to professionalism in Scottish football - in particular, the development of the most promising young players in Scotland - the professional clubs ought to cut them adrift. They are a dead weight.

Noskeil likes this.
  19. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    the 211 Cowdenbeath fans will cry reading this :57:

20. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    It’s a huge boost to every team in the country, being honest both Celtic B and Scum B would fill the stadium most weeks, with large numbers of away fans will fill their stadiums. The revenue that would be pumped into smaller teams would be on a scale they get in cup matches. Baffles logic especially if you put a cap on what division you allow them to get (I’d say league one as it could upset the balance of promotion/relegation to the SPFL although in saying this, it would do both teams good to play at that level)