1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ismaila Soro.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Jan 22, 2020.

Discuss Ismaila Soro. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He does have it in his locker though..

Most of the time his passing is crisp and positive..

He does have brain farts though..

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  2. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'm sure in his last start his pass rate was 95% which is very good. The problem is when he gives the ball away in the other 5% it always seems to give the opposition a good chance of taking advantage.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It’s not so much his passing, but his choice of pass. That one yesterday where he tried to switch it was just madness. Such a risky ball to play when he had other options.

Him and Turnbull’s levels have definitely dropped since they first came in to the team, but they’re still playing well and should be, along with Ajer, the first names on the team sheet.

martin_d and The Phoenix like this.
  4. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Excited to see what a decent manager will do with him, we know that Lennon/Kennedy regress players. Someone tactically competent will have both Soro & Turbull flying in the middle IMO

martin_d likes this.
  5. Popes 11 Guest

Needs proper coaching some of his passing was lazy Saturday but a good player.

6. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Agree, he has potential but still a tad raw.

Moore likes this.
  7. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Was Strachan having a pop at him and Eddie for smiling and laughing at the end of the dons game?. Was obvious in the clip Soro was questioning Eddie on something that happened, with a smile because well.. it's * Soro.

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. Foley1888

For me he has to play, he is one of the few midfield options who is actually capable of winning the ball and moving it forward quickly. For the rest of the season I wouldn’t be against Brown sitting deep and playing Soro as well as a bit of a box to box with either McGregor or Christie and Turnbull as playmaker/AM.

For me McGregor would normally be the pick over Christie but his form of late has been poor and on Saturday even when we played alright first half he constantly turned back and slowed down play. Christie wants away so not that keen on playing him either. I would like to see Connell get a chance but that seems unlikely as he’s not even getting on the bench.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IT is hard enough for a player to come into a massive club like Celtic and impress, but when they also have to contend with a global pandemic and the not inconsiderable task of ousting the club captain from his position, then it is little wonder that Ismaila Soro took a little time to find his feet.

The Ivorian has certainly done that though since his introduction to the Celtic side in October, acting not only as a worthy understudy to Scott Brown, but ensuring that the skipper’s absence wasn’t too conspicuous when his form dipped and he was given a spell on the sidelines.

All in all, his move to Scotland has been as much a test of Soro’s character as it has his footballing ability, but the midfielder hopes that he has come through those tests stronger for the experience both on and off the park.

“It’s a very tough job to step into Scott’s shoes,” Soro said. “First of all the captain is a really great player who I respect a lot.

“To be at such a big team for such a long time as captain says a lot about him. And it’s not just about the job he does on the pitch, it’s everything else. He is such an important figure at this club.

“Being the one who has to try and do the same job on the pitch is a big challenge.

“When I signed for the club I made an effort to train as hard as I could. I wanted to make sure I was ready, but it wasn’t for me to decide if I played, that was up to the coach. I needed to be ready for when that time came.

“I stayed in Scotland through the whole Covid lockdown. That was tough of course but I think I have a strong mentality.

“By the time I came here I had already played in three different countries so I have learned to adapt.

“The key thing for me is that when I go onto the pitch I have the same approach. At all times my priority is to work hard. It’s no different whether I am playing in Belarus, Israel or Scotland.

“The hardest situation [so far in my career] was probably here during Covid because nobody could go anywhere. It was really hard to cope with those circumstances.

Bayo was the one who helped me most during those first months. We are both Ivorian and he was the one who was closest to me when I arrived and helped me settle. So he was important during Covid.

“Obviously Bayo left, but Odsonne (Edouard) and Christopher Jullien have also been very good to me.

“Having these guys around has been a real help to me.”

Soro was disappointed to see the manager who brought him to the club, Neil Lennon, lose his job recently, but he is consoled by the fact that John Kennedy has remained.

“I thank [Neil Lennon] a lot,” he said. “When I arrived at the club he helped me and he taught me – and finally he played me! I’m thankful for all of that.

“[John] is someone who speaks to me a lot. He is someone who has given me a lot of good advice since I came to Celtic.

“That was important. Even when I was not playing the fact he would take time to speak to me was actually very important.”

10. green-yin

Instruct him to end 1 of the scum in 2 weeks time

11. CountyDownFaithful

Benched for Brown once again.

Can’t believe the league is over and we are still playing our 35 year old midfielder every game while we’ve got an emerging talent like Soro on the bench.

Christie, Laxalt etc. playing too. Just give a chance to some of the young boys.

Could swear that team today was picked by Lennon.

12. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

He'd be as well telling us to * rap it.

13. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He should be playing every game . Sick of seeing Browns name on the team sheet he is the past and Soro is the future . Our club has no forward thinking at all

RogicHasMagicToes likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Covid?

Food poisoning?

Goldfish died?

The_Bhoy likes this.
  15. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He should leave and go somewhere else to get a fair opportunity. Somewhere where you are selected on merit.

Dan Breen and RogicHasMagicToes like this.
  16. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Him and Turnbull should be the players the midfield is built around next season.

17. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Forget brown, how Christie gets a game before him is * mind boggling.

18. northeast67

Surely after Brown's display he's in next match, if not Kennedy is also doing the old pals act with Brown, sick of it

19. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What's the point in him being here if he can't get a game over someone that's retiring soon.

northeast67 likes this.
  20. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Our season might have been very different had he started in place of Brown all season