1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Can agree fully here.

Again, seasons gone, at least give the club a future with the youth and giving them a chance.
    If Barkas is done, we all know Bain is as well - then Hazard should start - even if he isn't as good as we need, he is still technically our young talent.
    Welsh must start every game to try progress him.
    Connell, Henderson, Dembele, Mikey, Afolabi, all of them need and should get game time here.

Sooner the coaching and club stop pretending something can be salvaged for this season the better, the focus needs to be on next season. get these lads playing - the new manager can at least watch back the matches to see whats what. Rather than again leaving it all last minute with no help.

2. JamesM09

Disappointed with him today. He had a chance to put a marker in the ground but the tactics seemed to just be Lennon with a slight focus on passing out from the back.

I can only take from that that he was a big part of what was wrong under Lennon, so he should be binned at the end of the season.

3. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Did any of us really believe that he would be any different?. He's been heavily involved in one one of our clubs biggest capitulations in history and should go along with the rest of them. We need to make a fresh start from top to bottom and it needs to be done now

4. JamesM09

Even cynically speaking I’m baffled he didn’t try to make a noticeable change to distance himself from the rest of this season.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  5. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Totally agree James

JamesM09 likes this.
  6. Bonobhoy

This is our Stuart McCall moment.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Maybe that will come as it was only his first game in charge. The shackles might come off after the Huns have officially won it and we've played them..

I won't hold my breath though after today..

JamesM09 likes this.
  8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye pretty much my feelings as well, willing to let Kennedy off for today as it's so soon after Lennon left and I doubt he wanted to change much, but if we see Brown starting next game and the same horrendous football being played then we'll know he's very much part of the problem.

TonyTim, trackebhoy, Peej and 2 others like this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    On the same page mate. See above :50:

seanm and HTG like this.
  10. SuperZidane

I agree - I don't want Kennedy to get the job (and I really don't think he will). However, it's pretty unrealistic to think that he could turn this around in 2 days - same players, same (lack of) fitness levels. No-one could.

I could live with us winning (particularly against the Huns) the next 7 games if the performances are just good enough.

That way, he's done his reputation no harm but his chances of getting the gig (which IMO are pretty slim anyway) would not improve.

If he is around next season, it should only be as an under-23 coach or less (nothing to do with the first team).

Frankly, if he does OK in these next 7 games, I would hope he would want to move on and challenge himself elsewhere for his own sake. If he's happy to stay at Celtic in a demotion - doesn't say much about his belief in his own ability as a coach.

stubhoy07 likes this.
  11. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    How long has JK been with Lenny and Rodgers ?? So dont say he has just had 2 days to prep for the game .

seanm likes this.
  12. oldpat

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Too many games have left me bored sick this season,and today was one of them

13. SuperZidane

I think you'll find that, at every football club, the manager has the final say in team selection and tactics.

Rodgers and Lennon were the managers - not Kennedy - so they had the final say.

This was the first game where he selected the team, tactics and prepped them. This time, the buck stops with him after 90 minutes.

His first day as interim manager was Wednesday so, if you want to be pedantic, he had 3 days.

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Doesn't sound like he thinks he's got any chance of getting it permanently anyway

15. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    So he learned nothing from the previous managers he was working under?? He was " meant " to be part of the coaching defensive team , ok we didn't lose a goal today, i think we were fortunate not to lose one. The job was far to big for him. Its like putting a young player out on loan to a team, JK should be sent out on loan to a smaller team as a manager .

16. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    A typical Lenny like performance.
    Shocking how unfit we appear to be.

17. seanm

Job far too big for kennedy needs to cut his teeth at a smaller club.HH

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  18. seanm

Our fitness is rank.the sheep ran over us from 60 mins.HH

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Of the regrets that may creep into John Kennedy’s career musings in the wee small hours, the path not taken isn’t the one that will keep him up at night.

At 37, Celtic’s interim coach has long been tipped as a manager in waiting. He had his first experience of it yesterday as he oversaw Celtic’s game over Aberdeen but had he picked a different route, Kennedy could have been well used to calling the shots as a number one.

On the shortlist for the Hibs job prior to the appointment of Jack Ross, Kennedy could have made the call to be his own man then. Similarly, his decision not to go with Brendan Rodgers to Leicester but to stay put at Celtic could yet put him out of a job this summer if there is an anticipated re-structure with any new manager given license to bring in his own backroom staff.

Neither call has cause for serious rumination.

"In my whole career and life, I don't have regrets,” said Kennedy. “I very much evaluate any decision I make and I go with it, I fully commit and then what will be, will be. I trust myself to make the right decision. You always reflect on it and question things but certainly at this time that's nothing to do with it at all.

"I have dedicated everything in my time and life to do the best for the club, so that's the same for now in terms of the situation we find ourselves in now. It's about what's right for the club and not my agenda and what's good for me.

“I’m really not worried about what comes in the coming months. I trust myself in terms of coming in here every day and putting full effort into everything I can. This is not a time for me thinking, what if this happens?, what if that happens? The only thing I’m focusing on is making sure I’m setting the right example and try to win as many games as possible. What happens beyond that is genuinely something I am not thinking about.

“The real gremlins will be around the ragged nature of Celtic’s season. The lack of consistency has been notable from a squad of players who have epitomised the word in recent seasons – four successive trebles is a monstrous feat and unlikely to be repeated – yet this term the foundations never been in place."

In some ways there has been a fated feel to the campaign from Celtic’s perspective; from the moment Leigh Griffiths returned to training out of shape and deemed unfit enough to travel for the club’s pre-season camp there was a sense of being on the backfoot. It was underlined by the Champions League exit at the earliest stage since 2005 to Ferencvaros, with post-match comments about players not wanting to be at the club magnifying whispers of dressing room unrest.

Covid added another layer to that with Boli Bolingoli enjoying a chapter all of his own on that front. The combined nature of all these threads meant Celtic were playing catch-up when the season was still in its infancy.

The club’s slippery slope has fed a narrative that Rangers’ success has forged a transition of power in Glasgow. Substantial surgery is expected on Celtic’s squad while off the field there are big changes too with a director of football set to be introduced and a new chief executive coming in to assume Peter Lawwell's role.

"Every squad, whether you are successful or not, evolves,” said Kennedy. “In successful times, you come to the summer and there's still a number of players in and out. Certainly we've under-performed this season collectively on several occasions. Rangers have done very well, not dropped much at all and we've been the opposite. In the past, we've continually raised the bar and met the expectations to be successful and a lot of the guys who have done that year on year, winning trophies and trebles, are still here and in good periods in their career but ultimately this season collectively we've done enough to hit the heights we expect to reach and have done in the past. We've got to address and look at that.

In terms of reconstruction, it's always there. We are in a situation where several players are going into the last year of their contracts. There will be some looking elsewhere and players out of contract, whatever it might be, but that's something that will be addressed going forward. There's still a lot of very good players here in the core group and it's instilling the belief and confidence in them again to go and perform the way I know they actually can because there's been too many games this season where I've not seen that.”

For the immediate few months as the swell of change looms in the background, Kennedy’s remit is to make sure Celtic aren’t swept away for the remainder of the campaign.

“It's about attitude and commitment,” he said “We will all make mistakes, whether that be in games, missing a pass or shot, that's a technical issue, that's not down to attitude and commitment.

"I don't want that to be an extra stress, with players thinking it's about me playing, me scoring the goals or me being the creator. We have to get back to trusting and believing in each other - everyone's got to do their bit.

"It's like a machine, there's a number of different parts of it and if everyone is doing their part then collectively it works, so that's what we've got to remember.”

20. TheHappyLoss

That’s one of the worst points, not only are we miles behind in the league we have been an absolute bore of * to watch.