1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] Celtic v Aberdeen 27th Feb 3pm on Celtic Pass

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CheGuevara, Feb 22, 2021.

Discuss Celtic v Aberdeen 27th Feb 3pm on Celtic Pass in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. john2061

I said at the start of the season we had no back up for our first team wingers and has came to bite on in the * and the recruitment has been criminal .

seanm and Garrymac1888 like this.
  2. Living the dream

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnston
    Arousal

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Great another hard on.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Too unbalanced...no actual wingers and two full backs who aren’t very good in the opposition half (albeit I think Kenny is decent defensively).

Once upon a time we had Tierney, Lustig, Sinclair, on form Forrest and Roberts..

5. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    The lack of width has been massive. Most full backs in the league are absolutely * as well and we've not been able to target them.

If we had two fit wingers and Forster we'd probably be neck and neck with the zombies.

6. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    If anyone’s watched lastchanceU on Netflix this team reminds me of the season 4 team. Lose their first 2 games, can’t win the league so just don’t even bother. Whole squad can go up for sale as far as I’m concerned, if you don’t want to give 100%, 100% of the time then pack yer * and * off.

DEADEYECFC and blackfish like this.
  7. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not having it mate sorry, never have considered him inspirational, Brendan was the inspirational manager that made the Quadruple Treble possible, before that we had embarrassment after embarrassment under Brown as captain in the cups, from Ross County to Morton to Hearts to Killie to St Mirren to Sevco to Inverness to Aberdeen to an Arbroath home draw to another defeat off Ross County

Sorry but it's my opinion and I'll never shift it, I've never rated him as a player so that's probably the biggest reason

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    AdamRS likes this.
  8. john2061

Still think any * apart from Lennon we could be neck and neck but from the manager to our signings it's been awful .
    Our two 5 million signings no where in the team and big Duffy 2 million loan sitting on his * as well and head of recruitment needs sacked now .

9. Bonobhoy

So it wasnt just Lenny then :56:

Serious though,the team as i hear are a shambles,its gonna take a legendary manager to sort all this * out now.

Cant believe in all the years of watching us i cant bear to watch us anymore.

Its more than just an overhaul needed.

10. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    entitled to it mate, before Stein came in, McNeill as captain had a lot of embarrassment s aswell in league and cup, so are you saying then that what Celtic achieved as a team from 1966-75 was all just down to Stein and nothing to do with having an inspirational captain and leader, totally agree Rodgers and Stein had a massive contribution but having a good captain And leader at the helM personally a think anyway makes a big difference aswell

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

In fairness J we were crying out for Celtic to get all three deals done and they did. Hindsight is wonderful but I believe the story would be different if we had been rid of Lenny in October.

ps. Well apart from Duffy. Can’t believe how poor the big lad is although I didn’t know him from Ajeti before they signed.

john2061 likes this.
  12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Random reply this one haha.

No bothered what anyone thinks mate, just thought I'd share.

Now onto A Decade of Dominance. I * love the Celtic.

13. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Difference back then mate is the financial climate was more of a level playing field, we've been by far & away the richest team in Scotland with the best squad for more than a decade since Brown took the armband, that number of embarrassments in the cups under Brown as captain before Brendan arrived given where we stood compared to everyone else domestically was unacceptable, indefensible & inexcusable. Literally won 3/13 cups we competed for under Brown as captain before Brendan, horrific.

14. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Tbf mate could ryhmn off 2 more recent ones Semi final s but Ambrose getting sent off v Ross County for a daft challenge after 15 minutes In 15/16 leaving us with 10 men for 74 minutes and Gordon making a kamikaze challenge v Inverness leaving us with 10 men and losing not really a lot the captain can do about that

van dijk probably the best centre half in the world played in quite a few cup losses but wasn’t his fault we lost

it sounds like Your saying it’s All Brown s fault for all our failures in the cups, yet for the many cups we won with brown as our captain it was nothing to do with him

sounds like you just don’t like the guy mate, doesn’t score a lot of goals but can mind on 2 occasions 8 and 9 in a row season when a lot of players had given it up as draws v Hamilton and Kilmarnock his mentality to come up with the winner kinda summed up his never say die attitude

Dannybhoy81 and seanm like this.
  15. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Missed the opening 16mins and the goal thanks to the hardware issue with the "Added Value" Season Ticket Viewing option. Logged in at 2:15pm and had to listen to the same tunes etc and missed a chunk of what I wanted to see.

With regards to the 1st half, from what I saw. It was pretty good stuff. Much better in terms of combinations. Full backs not isolate from the rest of the play, Laxalt had support from Eddie forward and inside. McGregor was inside and behind. Giving him options and the ball and allowing him options with his movement. The play was more controlled and more patient, less reckless, or needless potshots. We controlled what Aberdeen did with their play. Brown stepping into the backline to build the play and take some of the burden off Ajer and Welsh in particular.

What happened 1st half was probably what they have spent working on in the last couple of days. But again we failed to take more advantage of the domination. Klimala should have scored from the Kenny cross and also should have been in on goal just before the halftime whistle after Hoban flopped and fooled Gollum.

The second half, we again got dragged into an Aberdeen style of game. Physically, we don't have enough to match teams that wish to play that way. As Kennedy mentioned prematch, you control that by imposing and controlling the game with our style. Aberdeen might achieve more, if they spend more time on the construction of general play, than they do into set-pieces. Whilst it was uncomfortable, I wasn't overly concerned with what they offered. Yes, we did have to make blocks. But that is exactly what Ajer and Welsh are in there for. Kennedy and Co made a couple of adjustments, Klimala off for El Younnoussi, the former faded badly in the 2nd half. The introduction of Soro for Turnbull , we went 4-1-4-1 for the last 15-20 mins, Christie wide right and Mo El left. Good to see some proactive work from the bench. Eddie could have sealed it at the end, by either getting his shot off earlier or playing in Soro. And Cal Mac had a good opportunity from the edge of the area, which didn't miss by much, but you would expect him to bury.

Will go back and have another look at the game later tonight or tomorrow. But we're still and will be afflicted by the lack of balance in the squad and the effects of this season on the players.

seanm likes this.
  16. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Look mate I'm not solely blaming him for all those failures but what I am saying is that with 3/13 cup wins before Brendan arrived, 2/7 CL Qualifications over the last seven seasons & zero progressions in Europe after Christmas under Brown as captain then it is my opinion that his leadership/motivation skills towards the whole team have always been greatly exaggerated/overestimated.

As I've said, I've just never rated him as a player or captain, Invincible season was his best consistent performance levels imo but he never reached those same performance heights in other seasons consistently enough.

You have your opinion & I'll have mine mate.

17. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Yesssssss

seanm likes this.
  18. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Your right mate all about opinions, respect that, too many people on here if someone disagrees with them about a certain player they start calling each other fannies and *, can’t be ersed with all that

dunno about you but a lot of people saying Lennon losing his legendary status, thought guy was a decent player for us in a good team, did the ugly part of the game well, good reader of a game and decent at interceptions and breaking the opposition but guy was no where near a legend for me ever

guya like McNeill, gemmell, jinky, Lennox, Aitken, mcgrain, Mcstay larrson, lubo are guys I would class as legends, Lennon no where near that

sorry forgot broony aswell lol :giggle1:

19. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Lennon was a top player, you don't reach a European Final with passengers at CM, his reading of the game, his anticipation, his timing, his strength to hold off players, his little burst to get away from players, his passion, his commitment, his desire, his will to win, his passing was under rated too, rarely lost possession & would always get the ball forward straight away when he could to set the team on the attack straight away, rated him highly under Martin, then he became a shadow of that player under Gordon, especially in his final season which is totally understandable given his age at that point but Gordon should have been stronger with him, just like Lennon should have been stronger with Brown this season.

But yeah his reputation & legacy is now tarnished forever sadly, it's in the bin after this season, handed them the title without a fight in our biggest season in decades which will have dire consequences beyond losing the 10 going forward should they make the CL through the route we constantly fail in given them access to that extra cash, words can't describe the long term damage he's done to the club this season which when you think about where we were when he first returned after Brendan left words can't describe the self inflicted damage in such a short space of time, completely exposed as a manager without a world class shot stopper. Should have left months & months ago where he might have salvaged some of his reputation but not now for me. My granda is 86 & will never get to experience 10IAR because of him, will never forgive him for that.

seanm likes this.
  20. Lennon1888

No it's the whole club that needs an overhaul.

seanm likes this.