1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I think it’s more of a fear factor from the fans and rightly so, we’ve been short changed by the board for years, these coaching decisions come at a time we’re all bitterly hurt as fans so anger is rife and every decision is scrutinised to the core. It’s only natural for us to question the board’s decisions now as they sold us down the river when they failed to back Rodgers in taking us forward, then with the recruitment of a manager sacked from two clubs previous for the exact reasons he walked this time, lost the dressing room, failed tactically, installed a toxic nature around the club and ultimately failed at his job.

I want to be proved wrong I want everyone involved to succeed, time will tell on that. This seasons lost so we really have nothing to lose, if JK, SM and DOD can come in and prove otherwise I’ll be over the * moon to eat my words, but I fear yet again and as per usual the PLC will * the fans over with choosing the cheap option rather than the best option.

ddub11 likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

John Kennedy has insisted that he has no interest in using his interim managerial role at Celtic as an opportunity to showcase his credentials for taking on the role on a permanent basis.

The 37-year-old has been handed the job following this week’s departure of Neil Lennon with his focus on restoring a sense of stability to the club between now and the end of the season rather than stoking his personal ambitions.

Kennedy first game in charge will be for tomorrow afternoon’s game against Aberdeen as Celtic look to settle after a tumultuous week.

People who know me know that’s not my style,” said Kennedy. “It’s not about me, it’s not like I’m going around saying, ‘I’m in charge’.

"I honestly don't see it like that. I even spoke to the players in that respect. This is not a time about me, in terms of what are my ambitions and what might come out of this for me?

"I really don't care. All I want to do is the right thing for the club and the people I work with every day. I want to restore pride and get some spirit around the club, but beyond that I haven't given any thought to myself.

"It doesn't matter to me at the moment. The only thing that matters is doing the right thing for the club.

I know the players well, I have a good relationship with them and I just want to guide them through this period with the help of the staff.

"I want to try to lift the clouds, because things can get on top of you when it's not going well, and let some sun through.

"It's been a hectic week with the situation we have been in. It came as a bit of a surprise late on Tuesday evening for myself when I got the call.

"It's been tough dealing with the departure of Neil as we were very close with how we worked.

I know the players well, I have a good relationship with them and I just want to guide them through this period with the help of the staff.

"I want to try to lift the clouds, because things can get on top of you when it's not going well, and let some sun through.

"It's been a hectic week with the situation we have been in. It came as a bit of a surprise late on Tuesday evening for myself when I got the call.

"It's been tough dealing with the departure of Neil as we were very close with how we worked.

But Neil had a discussion with the club and just felt he had done what he could and it was time to take a step back. It was just about stripping it back and facing up to the situation we find ourselves in.

We have to still move forward, do the right things and get back to what we know we can be."

For the first time in seven seasons, John Kennedy will not find himself a member of a title winning backroom team this summer.

If the unravelling of Celtic’s domestic dominance has been a shock this term, Kennedy’s focus remains on what lies ahead, whatever that may be.

With an air of uncertainty the prevailing mood at Celtic as a substantial restructure looms at the end of what has been an exceptional era, the interim manager is keen to restore a sense of calmness as the Parkhead side see out the remainder of a calamitous campaign without further drama.

And after a turbulent three months in which the departed Neil Lennon was the focal point for the failures of the season, Kennedy offered a tacit reminder to the playing squad that they have underperformed throughout this season and regardless of what comes next for there is an immediate responsibility to the shirt they currently sport.

“It’s about putting demands on them [the players] and giving them more responsibility,” he said. “They are not children – they are professional adults. We’ve tried to steady things and bring clarity in the last couple of days after a very muddled time with the emotions around people losing their jobs.

"It's a case of bringing things together. If you listen to too many voices and opinions you can start to doubt things. You need to trust each other. I’ve been saying to the players in the last couple of days to believe in each other. These guys will admit they have under-performed this season but at the same time most of them are treble winners and won trophies every season.

It’s about going back and saying, ‘what makes us good?’

“I know it’s about results, but results are the outcome of what you do. We have to think about all the things that made us good. If might be you need determination to get that winner or stop that goal to get you over the line in certain games.”

There is little that will salvage the campaign – results over Rangers from the two remaining fixtures against the Ibrox side might salvage a little pride – and there will be no hiding place for Kennedy if results remain erratic.

His reputation tainted this term because of the failed campaign, he is nevertheless undaunted by what he has inherited.

“Everyone sees things differently and has an opinion, which is fine,” he said. “I’ve always approached it with the view I love challenges. This has been the most challenging season I’ve had in my coaching career. It’s been tough, it’s been disappointing, none more so than for Neil, and myself assisting him.

“But you have to realise how to fix it and bring it back rather than go to pieces.

“It’s about doing the right things to help the club and the team. If the performances come, then the results come, and if the results come, everything is always much better at the club."

Kennedy also suspects that this week will have hammered home to Lennon just how mentally debilitating the last few months of his second managerial stint at the club were.

He probably got to the point where the light wasn't there for him anymore,” said Kennedy. "He's had a helluva lot of criticism this year and has had to stand out there every matchday.

"Probably, in a way [he will be relieved]. Without thinking that beforehand.

"There have been a number of challenges this year with different things and Neil as the manager has dealt with it all. He's a strong guy, a strong character and has shown very good leadership behind the scenes dealing with all this and staying calm.

For anyone, it must be exhausting - but Neil never showed that.

"He came in with an attitude to try to improve and turn the corner, so credit to him for that.

"But probably when he sits back now, as much as he'd love to be in a better position and still be here driving it forward again, he's been through an exhausting time.”

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just from this season I can recall clips of Taylor have silky skills, goals from various players, players doing rondos. You're right that most of the IG stories are just of running, but I've definitely seen a few clips using the ball.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Doesn't care if he gets the job or no..

We've already established he's a liar then..

5. SuperZidane

I think we all know where you are coming from. However, while I don't expect another Rodgers level appointment, I think Desmond/McKay know that appointing Kennedy would have repercussions financially and also with the attitude of the fans.

If they wanted to give Kennedy an opportunity to prove himself, a change should have been made in November. 8 games is not enough to prove anything – it would not be fair on the fans or Kennedy to give it to him – many fans would not renew and they would start off in a negative state of mind and be all over him after the first bad result/performance. If he does OK in the 8 games, I would hope he would have the balls to want to prove himself somewhere else.

Perhaps its just wishful thinking but I just think Desmond knows that a change has to be made.

Having said that, I don't think it will be Howe\Martinez\Rafa - I hope they'll try something new - young up and coming continental coach? rather than some old EPL or Celtic Old Boy looking for a pay day.

Noskeil likes this.
  6. JamesM09

I think the important thing for Kennedy in this spell is to make big changes if only to distance himself from the shambles of this season.

If the players stick to their clearly defined roles, play with shape and some possession football it will immediately suggest Kennedy knew better than Lennon.

There’s no way Kennedy should get the job. As others said, if they rated him and wanted him to get it he should’ve had a shot in November. But for his own reputation he must make precise and drastic changes in this spell. It will completely change how he’s viewed by the support.

cat123 and SuperZidane like this.
  7. shieldsybhoy

He's got to say that to the media. Of course he would take the job if he was offered it, if he has any ambition at all.

I do wonder why Brendan never took him to Leicester. Maybe he asked him. Kind of feel like JK has a job for life.

8. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Totally agree with that. If Kennedy comes out & plays the same formation, the same * football & gets the same results. He will have nowhere to hide.

For me he has got to come out & put his own stamp on the team. We all know we have a great group of players but need somebody to organise them.

I'm in the same opinion that he shouldn't get the job. It's time for total change.

JamesM09 likes this.
  9. saltire78

Pretty sure Rodgers tried to; both him and Duff, but they refused. It was one of the main reasons I'm not for forgiving Rodgers and I've at least still some respect for Kennedy, even though I definitely don't think he should be given the position permanently.

Only way I'd be happy with Kennedy in 'charge' would be if we got a top notch DOF in and he chose Kennedy to be his coaching partner. No way I'm happy if it's a board appointment, no matter how he finishes out the season.

10. JamesM09

I think this is an opinion I would agree with, but what I would say is it’s an extremely risky first decision for a DOF to make.

11. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

You're making a total * of yourself in near enough every thread by the way. I'm surprised there are still toys left in the pram to throw.

That's your go-to strategy though. Call someone a moron when challenged and run away. Do yourself a favour and just stop.

murphy88 and The Dude like this.
  12. Bonobhoy

This * rocket will get offered the job,guaranteed.

Its the cheap viable option and will be cemented if we win against Sevco

13. Bunk Moreland

Yawn

14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Drop Broony from the team and let him assist Kennedy until end of season.
    That allows other midfielders to get more match time.

seanm likes this.
  15. seanm

Kennedy love in on celtic tv lol.good luck to the boy though.HH

16. seanm

Lol i have that new fast broadband in .speedtest was 13 mbps now 50 mbps . Holy * christ on a bike the difference.no laughing at the back. HH

17. seanm

* me dodgy electrics on celtic tv lol.HH

18. seanm

The new era begins lol.HH.

19. seanm

Holy * the set pieces are woeful.HH

20. TheHappyLoss

Just a tall Neil Lennon