1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Seasons Squad

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ApartPidgeon, Feb 21, 2021.

Discuss Next Seasons Squad in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Aye. Can see us re-signing Declan Gallagher for one. Not saying we should; it'd just be a very Dermot Desmond thing to do.

I quite like the lad Allan Campbell at Motherwell. Not very refined and not one for the starting XI, but could deputise for Soro in a ball-winning role. Still on the young side and could come on with the right coaching.

2. CountyDownFaithful

The rebuild is massive in my eyes. Our strategy of staying one step ahead of the Huns was always going to fall flat on its face and we are now left with the dire consequences; key players wanting out with 1 year left on their deals and a raft of bang average players. Thrown in a pandemic and Brexit to complicate things further.

However with that said, I think we can compete next season IF we get a number of things spot on:

1. DOF appointment
    2. Managerial appointment
    3. Cost effective, quality recruitment
    4. Build a balanced squad with the goal of having 2 good players for each position

We need to do all of the above and do it in an accelerated fashion. Due to the boards lack of inaction, we don’t have time on our side. They need to be making moves now!

3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    This almost exactly, for me. In reality, over the course of a season as long as ours, we need 5 players for every 2 outfield positions. In the state we will find ourselves in after we move on deadwood and assets, meeting that number will require us to actually use youth for a change, and probably to settle for two or so loans in key positions.
    However, we should be able to replace all other positions with even just some of the money made from sales. Between Ajer, Rogic, Christie and Edouard alone we should be looking at no less than £40m, and that's at the very least.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    We've played 6 players at centre back this season. 1 has left, 2 are guaranteed to leave and 1 is a midfielder. We need at least 2 maybe 3, if 1 is Gallagher I'm happy with that. We need to get about 10 players in, not all need to be straight 1st xi.

5. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    100% agree.

6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We will definitely need to rely on at least 3 loans next year for certain spots. Loaning in a RW to challenge Forrest, loan in a LW and hopefully Mikey settles into that role near the end, and loan in a CB alongside us buying one. I could also see us bringing in a loan RB for the season.

Could also see us also going for the safe option at GK and bringing Marshall in.

7. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Soro & Turnbull! Thts it, whole squad for next season.

Na but massive rebuild is on route and tbh im looking forward to it, im over not winning the 10! Dont think I will see another period so succesfull & record breaking again my lifetime.
    I know the way we lost was horrific, total capitulation! But am I * letting that fry my head. Lets look forward, new Gaffer, new Players, New CEO & Way of working.
    New Celtic

david100825 likes this.
  8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Have to strongly disagree, Bain is a back up at best. Just watch his recent games he is * guff.

Taylor is pish, a back up at best and offers nothing, absolutely nothing.

September is a long way away regarding big Chris.

In the past Forrest has had injuries but this one has kept him out most of the season and before that he wasn’t his best. Also he will be 30 in July.

Cal Mac could leave.

Bitton has had one two many contacts he needs to go. Just watch the game against them in Jan.

MJ has shown glimpses that’s it, he is also made of glass and has been utter *.

Ajeti like I said has been a major disappointment. I will be shocked if he comes good.

Why give Brown another deal when he is clearly past it? Time to say goodbye.

Hendry is *. Utter *.

Where did I say it’s football manager? I didn’t but they way you think some of these players will come good is laughable!

So what you are saying is a manager comes in and for a year most of them players have one good season? Absolutely ludicrous.

my points still stand we need a whole new team.

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Marshall at worst would be solid. Even at 36 he could do a good couple of years more.

10. Mr Diggler

Well I have seen David Marshall mentioned and I would take him back to steady the ship.

I still think Taylor is decent.

Possibly Johnjoe Kenny rejoins on loan

Keep Ajer until August if we can. I agree about Julien though- September may be too soon so fair enough. Welsh could deputisel maybe? I could see us back in for Ben Davies in the summer. Maybe on loan.

Soro, Calmac and Turnbull the midfield 3.

Maybe resign Elyonoussi for the right price. Otherwise Johnston for me has great potential. Forrest will be back but is obvious we need help in that area.

Edouard will be gone. Ajeti looks to have something about him if he gets his act together.

I just don't think the rebuild needs to be as drastic as some are making out.

11. Turnbulls right peg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    If Harkin ends up DOF I'd take Liam Delap on a Paddy Roberts type 2year development loan

12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Why? Empty jersey. No ability to get forwards and is being quoted at 10 million. Nowhere close to 1 million, and that's being generous.

Having seen what he offers so far no doubt Ralston should be ahead of him as Ralston can actually get into the oppositions half, at least tries to get to the byline and has had a successful cross this season. So miles better.

£10 * million. *!!!

13. john2061

We have went from a position of being miles in front of them to now playing catch up in two seasons unforgivable .
    It's going to be a big ask next season to win the league with the amount of players leaving and arriving and recruitment is the key .
    We could be up against it if the zombies get into the group stages with a massive 30 million plus in their bank and the board are responsible for this to happen when we had our foot on their throat and then we appointed Lennon .

14. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    See people getting all worked up about how tough this rebuild's gonna be, not saying it's gonna be easy but it's not exactly unprecedented. Lennon's first season, the vast majority of the team were new signings, we were a bawhair away from winning the league, playing some really fantastic football and without having loads of cash from player sales. If we keep hold of the likes of Brown, McGregor, Forrest for experience, build our team around Soro and Turnbull and properly invest any transfer fees we get there's no reason we can't kick on next season. Plus who knows, there might actually be a player in Barkas and Ajeti yet

15. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    New manager will bring new ideas and new players.. really hope O'Connor Welsh Robertson maybe even afolabi get a real chance next season. I'd say dembele too I just can't see him being here .. if we bought no one and sold what is expected this isn't the worst

...........................barkas........................
    ........O'Connor Welsh jullien Taylor......
    ....................soro McGregor ................
    .........dembele....Turnbull...Johnson....
    ...............................ajeti........................

Lennon has mismanaged most players in the squad this season and with the right appointment we could see significant improvement with barkas ajeti Johnson dembele

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Is Dembele contract not up this summer as well?
    I was under the impression it was, surprised he hasn't signed a pre contract anywhere as well.
    Hopefully I've called that wrong though.

It's absolutely vital that a new manager has a good approach to development and utilising youth talent. We don't need 6 of them in the starting line up each game, but there should be a core group of 6 of them getting reasonably regular game time throughout the season.

Not the usual left to the last 3 games IF a title is tied up

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Dublin Celt likes this.
  17. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Think he's up in the summer and highly unlikely to resign. Although if the right manager came in and ensured him of game time that could change although unlikely

Peej likes this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yeah think it would take a proven name for youth development to get him to resign.
    And done quickly.

No secret Lennon clashed with him to some degree and refused to play him, can imagine he's rather * off with the club

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Dublin Celt likes this.
  19. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Not all Lennon either, could well be an attitude issue with dembele too.

20. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Personally i think we should be rebuilding around mcgregor, turnbull, sorro and johnstone. The dream would be a big name manager come in and convince eddy and ajer to extend their contracts but highly unlikely on both accounts.