1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bunnet- Fergus McCann

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Nov 13, 2015.

Discuss The Bunnet- Fergus McCann in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fergus fronted the cash when no-one else would to stop the crooked Bank of Scotland decision to try put us out of the game.

He rescued us and put the foundations in for Dermot to build on, in later years.

Without McCann there's no Desmond.

The guy should be honoured by the club. He fought our corner at every opportunity, in a way that the current board could take heed of.

It was good to see him return for unveiling of the flag recently and getting a better reception from the fans on this occasion.

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    McCann is the one without whom it wouldn't happened. Without Desmond, there would still be a Celtic; without McCann, there wouldn't

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Being a bit too young, can anyone explain me when and why he was booed at Paradies? Read it now and then and don't know what it's about.

seamus1967 likes this.
  5. wulliebad

He was a hard nosed businessman and when he sacked tommy it was to much for the fans and they turned on him.It was also a time when rangers were winning nearly everything, I admit to hating the guy at the time.I guess he was in some ways the PL of the day.We went 6 years without any silverware.
    Older now and with time i am now grateful for what he done at the time.
    He should have a stand named after him before he dies,it would be nice for us to say thank you in some way before its to late.

6. SkyeCelt

He wasnt prepared to put the club in financial danger by spending funny money when Rangers were spending like it was going out of fashion.

Fergus would have sacked Lennon sharpish. Lennon's feet wouldnt have touched the floor after the first Ross County loss.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Basically a lot of fans were upset at his hard-line stance against the 3 amigos (Cadete, Di Canio and Van Hooijdonk) and others who had demanded improved contracts.

All 3 left and some supporters thought it was allowing the huns free reign to continue dominating. While Murray was paying top dollar to bring in players, we were being more conservative.

In the fullness of time McCann proved to be absolutely correct on those calls. I do remember as a wee guy asking my Granda the same question when he unfurled the flag.

8. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I never booed him but can remember at the time being * off about letting Jansen go after winning the league and also taking a big chunk of cash which was essentially money the fans put in.....however I was wrong and he done exactly what he always said he was going to do and put us in a very good position.

seamus1967 and SwissCelt like this.
  9. wulliebad

Di Canio didnt leave till after tommy was sacked.....i still remember the....there is a small problem interview. The others i forget what went on and when.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Di Canio went down Sheffield Wednesday in a money plus Regi Blinker I'm sure.

Van Hooijdonk called his £8k a week "good for a homeless person but not for him" and was punted to Notts Forest.

Cadete was a rabble rouser and ended up back in Portugal I think.

11. wulliebad

I seem to think none of them even seen out the 3 year contracts.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    His discipline on a business level was harsh.

I remember detesting the man, believing he was only here for the money and not for Celtic.

Like others I now realise. Life is a good teacher.

NomDePlum, Garrymac1888 and SwissCelt like this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The main thing was trying to force Jansen to work under an unqualifed DoF in Jock Brown. Even though he helped bring him in the two never got on.

14. Mince.Charming

I was young but vaguely remember one game there being a banner saying something like we are Irish not bigots, directed at him.

Think we were under attack for certain Irish songs etc.
    A board that don't understand the fans, would rather we were like Hibs. Just the way our board are today tbh.
    Alsi remember the appointment of Jock Brown, putting pressure on him and obviously transfer issues the others have mentioned.

seamus1967 likes this.
  15. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Thanks mates! Sounds indeed a bit like Pete apart from him leaving us in s very good situation and we now also know how Murray outspend us. In a proper run league such titles wouldn't count.

He has definitely earned the right for a stand to be called after him, considering we were nearly devolved.

seamus1967 likes this.
  16. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    As an older fan I too remember Fergus getting booed that day and felt a bit embarrassed but, like many supporters, I disliked his hard nosed businessman style approach however, I now know that the actions he took back then prevented our club from going out of business and I will forever be grateful for that. I also think that a statue of some kind should be erected or perhaps a stand should be named after him to recognise exactly what he did for us.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  17. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    He was a victim of the time I always thought, i started getting into football as a kid around 94/95, loved those teams with Thom, Di Canio etc, he just saved us from going to the wall so was being conservative but when looking back we still spent a fair amount, its just the huns were doing 30m a year in transfers and scooping all the silverware and getting close to 9 and potentially 10 in a row, fans were anxious.

seamus1967 likes this.
  18. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    You can thank him, if it wasn't for him the custodians at the time wanted to sell up and move us to the old coal bings at cambuslang.....

He had the vision for the current Celtic Park and put his own money where his mouth was to save us. He made it clear to all that he was there for 5 years, would rebuild us and walk away with a healthy profit in return..... he delivered on all fronts.

19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I remember when he came in and said I will build you a new ground, build a team to win the league and do all this within 5/6 years. All the MSM laughed.

Aye he was a hard face business man but he * kept his promise to pay the bills and keep the lights on plus the above.

For me he is one of the most important figures in Celtics history and he should be remembered forever.

seamus1967, Wee Baldy and NomDePlum like this.
  20. nudge1086 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke,Lubo,Petrov,lambo,Hooper,Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    * get a stand named after the bunnet and a statue, hated him as a wee guy because of losing Thom, Di Canio, Van Hoojidonk and Cadets but in hindsight what a guy.

Also took those SPL.* to task when they tried to be * like usual

seamus1967 and Wee Baldy like this.