1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Seasons Squad

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ApartPidgeon, Feb 21, 2021.

Discuss Next Seasons Squad in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Given whoever is in charge next year will be building from almost scratch I'd start with any of our youth in vacant positions and see how they perform, obviously replacing if there is better.

I don't think the time is available for whoever comes in to do much else. Agree we need to start with being a good SPL team.

2. Goggzy60

There is a few obvious signings I think we will make

4 from our league in Adam Campbell, Ryan Porteous or Declan Gallagher, Josh Doig and Kevin Nesbit.

IF Fergal Harkin and Maresca come in I suspect we will sign atleast 1 player from City permanently (Frimpong type deal) and possibly 3 on loan (let’s say 4 city players), let’s say Ari Muric, Ko Itakaru or Phillipe Sandler, Lukas Nmecha or Claudio Gomes and either Pedro Porro or Paddy Roberts.

Leaves a potential 3 more players (loans or Permanent signings) have 2 strikers as we will lose Eddy and maybe Griffiths or Ajetti

3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    What we need is nearly a whole new team bar Ajer (if we can keep him) I would also make captain if he stays.

Soro and Turnbull and possibly Cal Mac.

If Big Chris makes a full recovery then see what he is like with the new manager.

Can’t see Forrest getting over this injury.

Keep Welch,Henderson and some of the younger players.

For me we need the following:

Keeper - We don’t have a number one and desperately need to get one.

Left and Right back, again we don’t have a good enough player in each position.

Centre half would be great we need strength there.

If Cal Mac leaves then another experienced centre mid would be vital.

Left and right wing - Don’t see Forrest coming back from this injury and we don’t have a good enough left winger.

Forwards - Eddy will be sold, Ajeti and Paddy are not good enough and we don’t know what Griffiths turns up.

Will that happen? Unless a miracle happens I see us * up recruitment once again.

We are in a terrible position.

4. Goggzy60

Yeah next seasons gonna be tough looking at who will definitely stay (Ajer and Cal Mac aren’t included) that’s atleast 11 potential new signings we need.

5. bhoy81

I would say we need more than 11. But that’s not going to happen. We will end up keeping * and filling the gaps with *.

6. Goggzy60

Yeah 11 is bare minimum (unless youth step up)

i hope O’Connor and Robertson can start too breakthrough next season

7. celtic warrior

Are seriously going to a large exodus of players?

Depending on manager, I can see Eddie and Ajer leaving regardless that obviously would effect the strength of our 11 and would take some work to replace.

I can't see how we will let anymore than 3 key players go all at the same time.... At best you'll likely see about 7 out 2 of which are named above, the others being loans and releases of those who have no place under the new manager.

We will likely then see about 5 new players come in.

All this talk 10+ in and out both ways is utter madness that isn't going to happen.

Turnbulls right peg likes this.
  8. Goggzy60

Really some we have no choice in Eddy Christie Ajer Griffiths there’s someone else I’m forgetting are coming too the final year of contract. Griffiths may stay can see Rogic wanting to go and even Cal Mac may want to go too. We already go into next season with no Right Back

9. Mr Diggler

There is no question there is a massive rebuild required in the summer. Probably the biggest since MON- maybe even bigger. However there is decent players there to work with. Edouard will be off as will Ajer and Christie. But if we get Forrest and Julien back fit we could see a decent spine. I would keep Bain as number one for while, he has done well enough and deserves a run.

Bain
    New RB
    New CB
    Julien
    Taylor

Soro
    McGregor(c)
    Turnbull

Johnston(most likely a new LW though)
    New ST(maybe Ajeti if he offers more)
    Forrest

Talk of needing 12 odd players is hyperbolic. 4 good first team players to begin with and then supplementing that with others. A subs bench consisting of the likes of Hazard, Bitton, Griffiths, Klimala, Welsh, Rogic, Shaw, Brown. * who knows maybe even Jack Hendry will come back. Doing excellent in Belgium.

10. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    We thought we needed a rebuild when Rodgers came in and all he did was bring in 3 quality players and made the rest better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. oh bhoy

bain,taylor and johnston are nowhere near good enough id say we will need 6 to fill out a first team ,the subs you mention rogic and maybe welsh maybe the rest can hit the road any time (has shaw even signed yet?) not gonna dignify jack hendry with a response ,i think a better manager would get more from what we have but we wont be far off 12 as mental as it sounds

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah loads of players will leave:
    Christie, Ajer and Eddy could get us £40m and it's our last chance to sell.
    Kenny, Moi, Duffy and Laxalt will all go back to their clubs.
    Hendry and Bayo will certainly get moves this summer. Boli may do.
    That's 7 just there alone. Others could request to leave and I wouldn't be surprised if Bitton and McGregor left.
    We've already had 2 right backs in Frimpong and El Hamed leaving.

13. bhoy81

I don’t get how we needed a defender and O’Conner was getting some game time for UTD and can’t get a game under that parasite Lennon? In saying that look how he treated Soro and Turnbull.

14. bhoy81

Bain is not good enough.

Taylor is absolutely honkin.

Big Chris is gonna take a long time to come back.

Will Forrest be the same player after this, plus his age?

Cal Mac may also leave.

MJ has been utter * as well and shouldn’t be near the starting 11.

Ajeti for me has been such a disappointment.

onto the Bench - Jack Hendry should be sold cause he is *.

Bitton needs sold he is a * waste of space.

Also thankfully Scott Browns contract runs out this summer. If he is offered a new deal then someone needs a kick right in the baws.

15. celtic warrior

Ajer and Eddie will be hard to replace.

Everyone else, with some actual semi decent scouting can easily be replaced, plus some of those players named are hardly playing now.

As I said earlier, we will likely see 7 out and 5 in

16. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It will be a massive rebuild, but quite exciting too

martin_d likes this.
  17. Foley1888

See if the statement about loans is true, I think we are done. We tried this Delia’s first year and it was a disaster which spilled into his second.

I would be looking for no more than one loan deal even with the option to buy in the first team. Anymore and we are asking for trouble not far down the line as the following season will become like this one where we have a lot of upheaval in the team again rather than maybe replacing one or two.

We all expect Eddy and Ajer to go and despite the media’s best efforts to lower their prices I would expect to still receive in the region of £35m for the pair of them. Christie will probably go for a fee in the region of what Armstrong did £7-8m and we’ve already banked around £9m for Elhamed and Frimpong. If the loan to buys are taken up or mainly so we can expect another £8-10m from them and then with supposed interest in Bitton and Rogic likely to go another ~£3m or so there. Even covering the £13mish we spent in the summer there that is still a healthy income in the region of £55-60m minus the £13m is £42-47m. Not to mention considerable wages freed up and that doesn’t include if we punt Barkas or Ajeti even at a loss they would still bring a little money back in as their costs are accounted for in the model above.

Being very basic say the cash in the bank in the interim accounts is wiped out (£19m) or all but. It does sound like we will be able to get fans back next year. So spending £20-22m in the right way along with bosmans should allow us to be mainly signing rather than loaning players.

There’s a lot of variables in this but the Board have got us here so whoever they bring in needs to get us out of it. The above approach replenishes the squad and if the right players with a level of hunger are brought in to refresh our defence and attack, which is needed anyway then we could come out of this in reasonable shape.

It will be challenging but it is possible, there are plenty good players in Scandinavian, Belgium, Holland, German and French Lower leagues and Eastern European leagues who would strengthen us at good value we just need to get better at finding and signing them again.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    martin_d likes this.
  18. Mr Diggler

Bain is a decent keeper. Ok not exceptional but safe enough pair of hands in the interest of continuity.

Taylor gets dogs abuse but I think he is decent as well. He does a decent job.

Julien should be back by September.

Forrest is 29 and had a very serious injury. Maybe only one or two good seasons left in him.

CalMac is going nowhere.

MJ looks one of the most talented boys we have brought through in a long time. With the right manager he will be quality. If he stays fit.

Ajeti has been dissappointing but there is something there.

Hendry was brutal for us but he is doing excellent in the Belgian league. Not saying he should come back- just that it might be a possibility.

Bitton is a good squad man.

Brown should get a one year deal. A decent option to be used sparingly

As great as it would be to bring in a whole new team this isn't football manager. There are guys like Bain, Tayor, Johnston who may not be top class but they can do a job. In the interest of continuity that is important. I remember when O'Neil took over and Bobby Petta tore it up for the season. Or when Rodgers came in and even Boyata looked good. 4 good players will transform the team.

19. david100825

Assuming Ajer, Ntcham, Christie and Edouard leave as expected, the only players we have that are good enough for the starting eleven will be Jullien, Soro, McGregor, Turnbull and Forrest. Shocking how poor the forward planning has been.

If we could somehow miraculously retain Ajer on a bumper deal then it would show a statement of intent and reduce the rebuild.

20. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    We're doing this on a budget, and with the amount of signings we need, I expect to see a squad looking something like this:

*New keeper (David Marshall is not a bad shout)
    Bain
    Loan out Barkas and Hazard, both to SPL sides

*New RB
    Lee O'Connor

Ajer (give him what he wants for one more season)
    Jullien
    Welsh
    *Ben Davies on loan (this is actually a possibility imo)
    *CB from an SPL side

Taylor
    *Josh Doig

Soro
    Shaw
    Connell (possibly loaned out)
    Henderson
    McGregor
    Turnbull
    Brown (in a paleyer-coach role)
    *Lewis Ferguson

Forrest
    MJ
    *New winger (marquee signing)
    *New winger (on loan)/Give Shved a chance

Griff
    Ajeti
    *New striker (marquee signing)
    Loan out Klimala and Bayo, both to SPL sides

Loaning out those four players gives us a chance to see if they can do it in Scotland, and in the event of an injury crisis, let's us recall players who would hopefully be playing regular football.