1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. besty7

Fav Celtic Player:
    johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    it's laughable that you only quote a couple of saves out of all the games Bain has played and one being a penalty. Its not just about what the keeper does as the ball passes the line it's more the prevented work that they do to prevent the situation.
    The league's gone get Barkas back in and make him earn his corn and hopefully add something to his value. Failing that he'll be worthless and probably return to his former club for next to nothing

2. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Honestly think playing barkas could dent his value. For whatever reason he has just been utterly woeful for us. I remember being excited when the news broke we were in the run in for him. My memory of him lining up against us wasn't clear but what I could recall he had a blinder against us. That is all I was going off. I watched the YouTube videos as most of us do after a new signing and remember thinking, he doesn't look great based on that ( YouTube videos usually make players look godlike). He is here and he hasn't done anything horrifically wrong but I cannot remember being impressed by him once or even close to being impressed.

Bain and hazard are not the answers but their save ratios to that of barkas must be unreal - I don't know this for a fact, might be proven wrong mind.

I think a lot of our defensively frailties set in with a lack of confidence over the keeper. Don't get me wrong, that's down to all three keepers but the uncertainty seems to stem from the introduction of barkas.

I wouldn't let his value fall any more by playing for us. If we can get £2.5M I'd cut our losses and take that. A terrible goalkeeper

3. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Lol.

What's laughable is "prevented work":56: , you ignoring the "off the top of my head" part, we could go back and look at every 1 goal win or draw that Bain has played in but why bother, and the part where I said "not defending Bain". I also must have missed the day that saving a penalty was declared easy.

Just in case you just didn't understand I will reiterate. Scott Bain is not good enough to be our no 1 keeper, but he is marginally better than Vasilis Barkas and we still have 2nd place to secure so we have to go with our strongest line up until it is.

Barkas has flopped massively and will be gone after this season and nothing he does over the next 8 games is going to drive any value up significantly.

4. besty7

Fav Celtic Player:
    johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Well,well, dont agree with much of that,other than we can agree on Bain isn't good enough.
    Penalties aren't particularly easy to save unless you GUESS the right way ,hence the fact that not many keepers save most of the penalties against them.Its a no pressure shot in goal as far as the keeper is concerned and a bonus if he saves it.
    just in case you didn't understand preventive work for eg. intercepting a cross could be one ,also instead of being a subbuteo maybe even leave your line.
    Of course Barkas hasn't lived up to expectations but he's a 5 mill keeper like it or not and without playing he'll be worthless.
    Gains been woefull yet Lennon persisted maybe he should have done that with Barkas.but hey, it's just an observation and opinion

5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I don’t think he will ever make it or have any sort of impact. We will end up taking a huge loss on him.

6. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Get that feeling also. Really haven't been impressed at all. He's not bad at cross balls and if it's straight at him. Anywhere to the side of him and its in....every time.

The Phoenix and bhoy81 like this.
  7. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    He just falls on his *...* useless.

8. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

I understand "preventative work" perfectly, I think what you may actually mean is the fundamentals of goalkeeping. Things like starting position, awareness, concentration, communication and body shape are all attributes important to a keeper. Barkas appears to possess none of these.

He's a £5m dud, he will be gone in the summer and no amount of gametime in the next 8 games is going to change what we get back for him.

9. besty7

Fav Celtic Player:
    johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I don't mean fundamentals at all, I mean preventative in the context of someone taking the initiative not just standing on there line and dealing with what comes at them.
    let's face it if you are a goalkeeper aged 28 8 think you should have the fundamentals , maybe he should go back to bricklaying and build a wall Infront of goal
    Do you think that Bain posseses these fundamentals ,or do you think he's just a touch better than a dud? .

10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Wouldn't be surprised if he moved to another club and did really well.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s proven himself to be a decent keeper so that is likely.

However, being a Celtic goalkeeper is a whole other ball game with a very specific set of attributes required - most of which not technical.

12. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He must be an absolute mental wreck. Signed as a number 1, then 3rd choice, then told he isn't ready.

This is an International goalkeeper.

* have we did to him?

13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just reckon its the most crucial position for any team.
    I mean, how many of all the goals we have conceded this season, would a class keeper-like FF-have saved. I suspect a dozen.
    As for the massive rebuild we now have ahead of us, this is a position we must get right.
    Flog all 3, take whatever we get offered, get Marshall and then try for someone like FF, loan or whatever.
    Having Marshall will buy us time, as a quality keeper will likely only become available on last day of window.

14. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

100% agreed. I absolutely believe if we signed FF at the start of this season we would still have a title race on our hands.

Honestly believe two of the biggest blows in the last two years has been losing Tierney and FF. Even Craig Gordon for all his faults kept a more organised backline. The gk position is such a howler for us this year

Dan Breen likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Get him in the team until the end of the season. If he doesn’t improve then we should try to move him on in the summer if there’s any suitors.

We can’t take the chance of going into next season with him as our number 1 if his performances don’t show us something in the next few weeks.

16. Smarty1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    joe ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    As someone said earlier, his ‘greatest hits’ video is very unimpressive, and anything he saved has been hit straight at him and he couldn’t get out the way in time! For 6ft 5” he is the biggest shi*ebag I’ve had the misfortune to watch.

stubhoy07 likes this.
  17. Dubliner1

The simple answer is he's not very good. Just ask the question to Stevie Woods and he will tell you. It's Stevie who is making the decision on the keepers. Lennon & Kennedy had very little input other than getting feedback from the goalie coach. I think someone stated you couldn't make a good keeper out of the 3 of them put together when comparing them to big Fraser F

rudebhoy67 likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    It was left to Woods and Hammond to decide on a keeper to bring in

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    For me, this.

He hasn't really had any blunders to suggest he is *. Just hasn't done anything to instill confidence in the support or likely the squad.
    That said, the backline he had in front of him for his run at the start had * Duffy in front of him along with Brown - the two most culpable players for goals conceded in the first few months of this season. Barkas for me took a lot of slack for these pair (who both took plenty as well).

Add to that, Lennon never done player development or personal coaching, it is no wonder a guy coming from Greece to Scotland would find it a bit daunting and need time to settle and build his confidence in the squad. You do not get confidence in the squad if that backline is in front of you and your manager is forever throwing players under the bus and changing everything every day.
    It got to a point we had 33 line ups in 36 games at one stage - with two being the same was simply Lennon trying to prove the Craig Levein tactic of a 4-6-0 could work - it didnt.

I would much rather see as much of a steady backline and keeper as we can muster.

Barkas in goals
    Kenney, Ajer, Welsh, Laxalt

Let that play out the remaining games. Does hopefully a few things. Gets Barkas and Welsh up to speed for the new season as best we can. Forms a small partnership and understanding between Welsh and Ajer - and make some desperate hope we can keep Ajer on a new contract.
    Finally, get Laxalt a run, see if we can't get another season loan, or a perm signing out of him.

Like others, Barkas needs a run of games here to see what he actually has and to build confidence.

20. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

OK, I'll repeat this again, just in case you still haven't got it. I don't think bain is a particularly good goalkeeper, I think he is better than barkas. And yes, he does do the basics better than barkas. What, exactly, do you mean by preventative then? if its not getting positioning correct, communicating with your defence and being aware of what's going on in your box, what is it ?

We still have 2nd place to secure so we need to go with the best we have in all positions. Barkas is not in that category.

stubhoy07 likes this.