1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Ummm, he literally gave his life for Celtic. He got viable explosive devices through the post ffs. Only by good fortune they were intercepted before being delivered.

Some amount of irrational * being posted about Lennon.

kinglenny likes this.
  2. JamesM09

Or admit when you’ve not got a clue what you’re doing and resign instead of dragging the club down with you. Also don’t disrespect the support that have made you a millionaire.

Keano88, FrankMcCallum and seanm like this.
  3. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    He literally gave his life for celtic? I hadn't realised he'd passed on...

Sean Daleer likes this.
  4. strike twice

When I heard today , that Neil Lennon had left Celtic , I thought of two words " TOO LATE " . When we were knocked out of European competition , we should have changed the backroom staff then . I could groan and moan for page after page , about how bad things have got this season . And maybe about how things were allowed to fester , and become so bad . In this season of all seasons too , it makes my blood boil . But I'll spare you my rant , and call a halt to my rant right now .

cat123 and seanm like this.
  5. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I personally think you are reading way too much into it, Packy, not sure what he could have said differently other than 'no comment' and that would have been worse in my opinion.

packybhoy likes this.
  6. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    It's a tough pill to swallow, we all wanted him to do well, he was being given a lot of leeway by fans for his * ups this year, because of who he is and what he means to a great number of fans, the fact he completely tanked us this year and oversaw the loss of 10, who he was didn't negate the fact that we expect better and were hoping he would have walked away earlier but he hung on and slowly many began to resent him which we all wanted to avoid because of who he is and what he has given to us as a player and manager.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think the sensible thing would've been all parties to sit down in October after that disgustingly weak home game v the huns and reach an agreement for all parties to be able to move on.

That said I don't understand why the onus was on Lennon to resign from a lucrative contract that he will likely never see again.

The same standard isn't held for any other employee of the football club. If a striker goes through a sticky patch and we're looking at replacing him, people don't expect the striker to walk away from the remainder of his contract. Likewise for a failing CEO.

Lennon was the board's man and it was their call to make once it became apparent to all that our season was heading south. The fact that they did nothing and allowed our season to go up in flames and the support to grow disillusioned, all so they could save £££ on a resignation is reprehensible IMO.

You can bet your bottom dollar that every single one of them will expect to be paid in full what they're contractually due.

Lennon's lack of humility and disdain for the support, is what angers me the most.

Sean Daleer and seanm like this.
  8. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Pretty much my thoughts when the stories started appearing last night. A hollow victory.

As highlighted, the opportunity was available to address the slump months ago.

The drop in standard of play, performances and results has been quite spectacular. A 30 point turnover in the space of a year. * unreal. Many have highlighted in the previous months and I have posted several times about the state of this season and the club in general. I cannae be * going over it. I'm a * normal football fan, and like many others we seen what was coming and yet not one * person on that board or the guy in the dugout were willing to admit they weren't up to it.

Today's event should only be the beginning of what the fans need to see. We have had the delaying or subversion through Lawwell early announcement of retirement. This board needs to step up, take accountability and stop hiding. An apology for the standards and the choices that have led to this point in time. An apology for the frankly shambolic approach to fan engagement during this season. Absolutely insulting pish like the propaganda of Lawwell and Gerry McCulloch is not good enough.

Many times, over the years the fans, in particular, the GB highlighted about the club "not sleeping at the wheel".

Well, guess what has happened.

Lewis Kerr and seanm like this.
  9. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Think majority of us need to recognise we got opinions and they don't all have to allign.

It was the right time for this to come to end but I will never discount what Lennon did for our club because of his last season. He started the 9 and finished the 9. The fact remains, majority of these 9 titles have been achieved with Neil Lennon as manager. Does it frustrate me he couldnt fine ah the 10, of course it does. Their is no way of 100% knowing if any manager would have finished the 10 though.

Am glad we are going into next season with a new manager (providing it isn't Kennedy) but I wish Neil nothing but the best for the future.

Dubliner1 likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I think that had it been the likes of Deila or someone else not previously connected to the club, then it would be perfectly understandable why they didn’t resign.

But Lennon, being a “Celtic man” and having his history at the club that he has. To stick around in this season of all seasons, when it clearly wasn’t working. That’s what doesn’t sit right with me.

Yes, the board should have done their job and punted him months ago. But Lennon, by not making the difficult decision to walk when the season was still fairly salvageable, quite literally put money before the club he claims to love. He sacrificed the 10 and has left us with a massive rebuilding job this summer.

Rodgers left us in a strong position when he went to Leicester. The way he did it was sneaky as * and I still don’t particularly like him that much. But what Lennon has done is taken us from the dominant force in Scotland to a team who could easily have finished 3rd this season if the rest of the league wasn’t so rotten, and of course we were humiliated in Europe.

He’s done a hatchet job on the club and refused to * off for months on end, instead taking that time to make a * of himself and the club in the media. As well as regularly belittle the fanbase.

Keano88 likes this.
  11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I would agree 100%. But i still think he faked hamstring injuries vs PSG because he didnt fancy it haha

12. murphy88

Just because he has now left, I won't change my feelings towards him. He has treated the fans like idiots the whole season, and his arrogance stood in the way of him doing the right thing and walking away after the embarrassing defeat at home to Sparta Prague. Had he done so, the respect the fans had for him would still be there and his reputation although not fully intact, it would not have been in tatters like it is now. I simply cannot forget what he has put us through though, he has completely ruined us and turned us into a laughing stock. Managers can simply not be good enough, and that is the case with Lennon, his tactics and lack of attention to detail regarding other teams is nowhere near the level required for a club our size, but that is down to the board, they knew what they were getting with Lennon. However, Lennon more than most knew the importance of this season, and he must have knew he wasn't up to the task long ago, so to cling on for this long while running us into the ground and gifting that mob the title, and spoon feeding us the utter nonsense he has, I cannot forgive him for it.

Keano88 and McChiellini.. like this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, it's that expectation that I just don't agree with.

Being a Celtic man or not doesn't make him any less entitled to his notice period. But it's exactly what the board banked on to try and save money, which is rank.

He's always been stubborn, so it's not unrealistic to think that he still believed in his head that he could turn it round in October but a competent board would've taken that decision out his hands.

As for him destroying us from being the dominant force I completely agree with, which makes the board's inaction even more unpalatable. A week ago our chairman was telling us they didn't want to make a hasty decision, while out of all competitions and 18 points behind in the League :eek1:

As for Lennon's conduct I'm in complete agreement, that's one of my biggest gripes with him. Telling us we were hysterical, making excuses, awful decisions like Dubai etc.

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I’d like to say I was just parroting the phrase back to the OP but I can’t :giggle1: :54:

I’ll need to go away, reflect and regroup after that yin.

Lupis likes this.
  15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Is the league mathematically over, or has this resignation happened before that event? The theory that he was kept because of a contract clause is the reason why I'm asking.

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

WhatsApp messages aren’t theories. They are the ramblings of mad men.

And @Big Mick of course.

MacEwan and Avatar Daizen like this.
  17. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    It’s not mathematically over mate but been over for most since November

one comment a find quite amusing from the Huns is “ aye yous are good at winning league s when you s haven’t had a decent challenge “

Is that not exactly what’s happened this year with them

KevMan and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Means the board kept Lennon for a less obvious reason.

Slater67 likes this.
  19. JamesM09

Good post.

It was definitely the boards fault first and foremost.

I don’t think Lennon can shake the responsibility though for not resigning. He’s meant to be one of us, it’s a big part of what got him that contract in the first place, make no mistake. He’s earning well above what he’s worth because Celtic fans supported him. He should’ve given some of that money back by resigning.

If he wants the money then he can be criticised for not being a Celtic man.

Also the paragraph in bold I would take slight issue with.

Everyone regularly expects underperforming players to walk away from contracts. They don’t always do it, but they often do and it’s always expected. In fact they are often treated like * by managers to force the player to move.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Good post up until the end paragraph. I doubt players ever walk away from a contract. Sold maybe but never leave without something else lined up.

What a * up season.