1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

What he and the Hun media conviently forget Slippy was himself contemplating his future and walking away when the Huns were beaten by Hearts. Only this pandemic saved him.

2. Mr Diggler

I often think you can judge a manager by the comparison on how the club was when they took over compared to how they left. Unfortunately Lennon has taken us from a position of real strength to a position of chaos. The summer is going to need a massive rebuild. The biggest ironically since Lennon took over in 2010. I have and won't engage in personal abuse towards Lennon but thankfully he has left now- so let's hope the season can see us win the Scottish Cup and have a new man ready to go in the Summer.

seanm and SwissCelt like this.
  3. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Just shows how * he was back then too :celtman2:

Tells you how * we won the league titles in 2 seasons without a real opposition. If the team perfomed as good as some want us to believe, he had to have a much better win percentage. Or how can he with the same win percentage now be 20 points behind the huns?

4. Bonobhoy

Karma will eat that * sometime.

The sake that hes a lucky mediocre manager annoys me more than the filth winning it overall.

5. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    The fact is NL is a Celtic legend people can say what they want I think he's done the best he could given that so many players within the club have basically sabotaged our efforts this season.

I'm glad NL is away as it was too damaging a season for him to remain but so many of the team that let us down must now leave.

We need structural change at the club so that players with such a poor attitude are never recruited again.

We need guys that are desperate to play for us and there has been too many that think they should be at a higher level which is shocking.

Guys like Christie, Ntcham, Laxalt and Ajer. There probably another 10-12 that fall into this category.

Bonobhoy likes this.
  6. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I don't want another Celtic legend anywhere near the club we should be going for a meticulous, professional manager with a great track record.

7. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

No more jobs for the boys.

8. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

cElTiC lEgEnD

Such a weird thing to get hung up on.

Get this into in the ex-players section.

Onwards

9. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Fascinates me how people can think he was a success here. Yes, he won 5 titles since he came back but only thanks to Forster and a lot of luck it and without him having any positive influence before or during cup games. Then, and that's the most important measurement, look at the state we were in when he came in and now. We had a solid team and you could see a game plan. Now we are a bunch of guys playing out of position because Lennon's recruitment forget to hire enough players in areas as the wings. How can he not bring in another right winger when he knows for how long Forrest is out? That should have been a priority! We didn't he do his job ?

Then, since he took over nearly every player has regressed. Even Frimpong hasn't improved much since he made it into the team and some people say that wasn't even for Lennon but Brown had to tell him to play Frimpong.

We are in the worst state since I became a Celtic fan 15 years ago and I witnessed a lot of pain with our defence during that time. This is the unfittest Celtic team in years. How the * did Lennon manage to bring us from Rodgers level of fitness to the current one? Are we sure they actually trained or did they just went back to the chips and soda diet?

If you ignore all this, yes, he did an fina job. But if you compare the state we were in when he took over and now. C'mon!

And btw, who is responsable for hiring an unfit manager? Exactly, the board. We shouldn't let them get away with such a missmanagement!

10. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Fs we've made a mistake. Bring him back!

11. The Dude

Have you really just absolved Lennon of any wrongdoing and blamed Ajer? :giggle1:

Ajer has arguably been our best player this season.

12. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Ajers out best player and does deserve to play at a higher level though.

Sick of people trying to blame the players, Lennon was toxic and the players didnt respond to his outdated management.

The Phoenix likes this.
  13. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    It is a shame the way it has ended , he should have resigned 3 months ago and walked out with his dignity And reputation intact , now he walked away a despised man .

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. JamesM09

Completely disagree.

We need players with ambition and talent to play at a high level and we need a management team to get them there.

Under Rodgers that was hugely successful and profitable. Signing * players that want to be here, presumably only because we're above their level, is not a good idea.

Klimala, Bayo, Kouassi, Gamboa or Dembele, Ajer, Edouard, Armstrong, Tierney etc. etc.? Give me the ambitious talent any day.

The thing that went wrong was when we brought in a man that failed at Hibs, does no coaching or development, has no tactical awareness and puts no effort into opponent analysis. It's not the players, it's the management.

The 'None of the players want to be here' narrative is getting stupid at this point.

We love to pretend we're the only club that has wantaway players. Every successful club outside Real Madrid and Barcelona has to deal with their best players wanting to move away. It's a good problem to have. It's a desirable problem. You need to give them a good manager that can handle it and you need to have a robust scouting network to constantly replace.

If you give them a dinosaur like Neil Lennon that stagnates their development for 2 years and gets them knocked out the champions league by not playing a striker and not researching the opposition, aye obviously they're going to become desperate.

seanm likes this.
  15. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

If you are blaming the players for pur failure this season then you must ask yourself why?
    Why they would give their all, why they downed tools, why they wanted away ?
    Your name 4 players , 3 of which played better and at a higher level before Lennon came in. Laxalt was brought in on loan this season so is not one of the ones that wanted away, initially. Maybe now whay he has experienced and witnessed the mess under Lennon he wants away now. Ajer has been our best and most consistent player this season.Another 10 to 12 players you say, attitude? There was no attitude before Lennon came in, there was more harmony about the squad, maybe this season some players have been affected by social distancing and I can understand that. But under Rodgers these players and the players who have came in on loan are used to better coaching standards, better tactics, better pre and post match analysis. You can only take so much from a mamager who throws you under the bus to hide his own failings, to shirk away from taking responsibility, you start losing respect. That is what has happens between the players and Lennon. Most people would have at some point in their life had to work with a * manager, myself included , and it is not a good feeling going to work everyday knowing they will be there.

16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

I know the trusts aims. And this isn't about me deciding I don't like the trust or disrespecting them, my best mate is a member, it's about pointing out flaws, although some don't like that being done. Which as I've said previously aint my problem.

I would like to see more of a closeness through out the Club JC, same as most would, and we have talked about this before and I while I don't agree with you on how that is achieved I do know you at least have been talking about this for years and not just recently shown an interest in the whole idea, simply because of how this season has turned out.

While I would like to see more of a closeness/less of a disconnect between the club/support the reality is once we resume winning much of it will disappear as, imo, the majority of the support are indifferent to the board - when we are winning so as long as they (board) achieve that again that problem will resolve itself. I reckon Mckay will have a certain level of goodwill so it'll be up to him how he uses that and maintains it or not. Personally if he oversees as many trophies as lawwell I'd take that right now, who wouldn't.

The main problem for me about all of this is there is an impression being created, by some, that simply by having a fan/supporter on the board that things will be better should this happen and that will allow us all to be more informed, drive change, more transparency etc on what is actually happening in the boardroom. This is frankly absurd and folk need to realise that, especially before they are encouraged to part with their money at a time like this* (pandemic/folk losing their jobs etc), because put very simply a rep on the board and privy to what is discussed in the boardroom will be subject to the rules of a PLC and won't be able/allowed to tell us, much, of what is happening, even if they want to do that.

But those most committed to this idea seem to either not understand this or, worse, know it but are saying nothing about it, Preferring to try and snidely talk about myths being created which is laughable but also tragic.

*Although I believe the DD's have slowed down somewhat, that'll be another myth I guess.

Taz, King of Kings and JC Anton like this.
  17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Apparently Duffy was desperate to play for us. How did that pan out again?

carraigbhoy likes this.
  18. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I fear this is why they hung on to Lennon for as long as possible. Hope for a wee bounce with a change of regime. Kennedy looks good with maybe on odd blip. Give him the job he's earned it.

19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard: "I can't say I'm surprised because of what's been going on over there. But I obviously take no personal satisfaction, so I wish him well for the future."

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    “Resigned” :lenny2: