1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominic McKay

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jan 29, 2021.

Discuss Dominic McKay in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

I think this is a perfect time to come in.

There are simple and obvious changes he can make which will instantly make this club better. If he has any competence at all he should be able to impress very quickly.

This man enters at a crucial juncture for Celtic. If he gets it right we'll be a top European club in 10 years time. If he gets it wrong we will continue to sink into obscurity.

He has to adopt modern European club practices. Lawwell's unprofessional and dated way of running his little empire of loyal minions needs to go. He needs to bring someone to challenge him in the football department and that person needs to have knowledge and a vision of how successful European clubs are run. We need better coaching at youth level and a far better scouting network.

He has to go all in on these things. A half arsed attempt at bringing in some scouts and maybe a hybrid scout/director of football will fail miserably. I really hope he knows what he's doing.

Peej, greengrocer and The Phoenix like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Why would we hear from our future CEO when our current CEO is still here?

The likelihood is he will be getting stuff done in the background, probably already is having some involvement..

Peej and JC Anton like this.
  3. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    100% spot on James, i wouldn't be against getting rid of every “coach” and starting from scratch by only recruiting the best people for the job.

Also would like to see the back of griffiths, hugely unprofessional player and also time up for Brown if we want to target Europe.

JamesM09 likes this.
  4. Bunk Moreland

Except he hasn't been a Celtic fan all his life, he was in my year at secondary school, he didn't go to games, never wore any Celtic gear, never even spoke about Celtic or football in general. He played GK for the school team and that was as far as his interest in football went. This lifelong Celtic fan stuff that's been reported is bollocks.

The Phoenix likes this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Depends how you define fan etc..

Celtic minded is a bonus or whatever you want to call it, but ultimately fan or not all that matters is his business acumen..

76mark likes this.
  6. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Think ‘current ST holder’ is all that was being claimed to be fair.

You could probably argue that someone completely alien to the club would be a better fit for the role than a tim. But thats neither here nor there, looking forward to him getting started and wish him all the best

The Dude likes this.
  7. The Dude

Well, he is a Celtic fan now, and has been for some time. I have seen him at Celtic Park.

As @Bobo_ says, it might even be an advantage if he is not a traditional 'Celtic man'.

8. annieroos83

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    I don't care if he's a Celtic man or not. Fergus McCann wasn't. I just care that he, now and in the future, puts the team first.

9. Bunk Moreland

I'd agree with that, let's face it when he makes business decisions like Peter Lawwell did he'll be accused of not being a real Celtic fan anyway so it's probably better to not have a connection in the first place.

10. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    This guy knows nothing about running a football club.

If he realises this and works to bring in a director of football, then good.

I'm not hopeful however.

Think he's going to be in the mould of Lawwell. A middle class Tory who is contemptuous of the fans.

JamesM09 likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If he went to the same secondary school as you I.e. St Al’s - he at the very least kicks with the right fit :fear:

12. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    :90:

13. Bunk Moreland

He went to St Andrews Academy, think he came either at the start of 5th year or sometime during it, cant remember exactly when or what school he came from. Definitely a Catholic just wasn't interested in football at the time, nice enough guy, always thought he was a bit posh for St Andy's right enough :giggle1:

14. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Hmmm, dunno, maybe he's catching a falling knife?

Half a first team squad to recruit for example. Will he have the cojones to fire the clowns in the dugout as his first major decision? I guarantee he will not have wanted to make so many big calls as he walks thru the door. Radge has his work cut out.

JamesM09 likes this.
  15. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Run away now mate before your reputation is tarnished at the fools factory .

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    There is high chance that McKay has been the one to tell the current board not to sack Lennon - in a good way.
    The rumours of Lawwel leaving have been here since last summer, chances are the club knew for a couple years this was going to happen and chances are McKay was lined up at least in the last summer.

Makes you wonder, has McKay been busy in the background, as we assume (rightly), and has telt them not to sack lennon as he is gonna come in with all the grand plans we are being led to believe?

I live in hope.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  17. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Ambitious to think he'll start being more active once the six Nations is over ?

18. JamesM09

I suppose it’s all perspective but he won’t get the blame for players leaving and sacking the manager is an easy and obvious win for him.

Fundamentally, we’ve hit rock bottom this season so as long as he’s not totally incompetent he should at least be able to get us moving in a positive direction, for which he’ll get credit.

Personally I’ll judge him on the bigger picture and not just next season. I hope he doesn’t take short term decisions to win the league next season. We need long term building too.

theweeman likes this.
  19. Mr. Slippyfist

Oops, someone needs to go read their Celtic history :56::56::56:

theweeman likes this.
  20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    An article I read today on RTE said that Scottish Rugby would not let him leave early and he would have to see out his contract. But it did not say when that was but I am guessing its the end of June if Celtic are saying he takes over effective July 1.

New Celtic chief will have to work out notice period (rte.ie)