1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    There's no ability there for modern football. Since he came back he has lived of Rodgers' work. 5 trophies that he claims for himself which are to a major part Rodgers' doing. The only input I saw in those were that we performed worse and worse for every cup until we were kicked out by Ross County.

People said he was the man to steady the ship when Rodgers left. Why? Because he didn't have any input into the team. Because he doesn't believe in tactics like Marvin Barkley said the other week. As it was still Rodgers team, they knew how to play. But the more that team changed and opponents became used to our system and tactics, the worse became our results. That was the point when a capable manager needed to intervene and it was the moment where Lennon was found out.

Even his biggest success, the victory against Barca, was achieved by parking the bus. Probably the easiest tactical instruction in the world of football. I loved that win, but c'mon, that wasn't some tactical genius.

JamesM09 and Yoshi like this.
  2. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with everything you said bar the Barcelona result. That's the only way we were ever going to beat Barcelona. Bare in mind we very nearly got a draw at the nou camp in similar fashion. Lennon had that the disciplined in keeping shape tbf. Lennon is due all kinds of criticism here but the way he had our team lineup against Barcelona both home and away that year was superb in my book. A more interesting point might have been how juventus absolutely undone us with every set piece and aerial ball. An issue we are having with the current team, maybe this is something Neil Lennon has never been great at and we are seeing it for what it is now?

SwissCelt likes this.
  3. Sgt Neppers*

This isn't even the bottom. We still have 2 games left against the Huns. There's a lot of more suffering to come with Lennom left in charge. It must be a money thing now. He must due a fair bit of compo until its mathematically done. There's no other logical reason for keeping him on. No positives at all, squad look completely lost and have no belief in the management. What gets me is, put him on Gardening leave. Give the fans and club a boost. It may only be a small one but it's one of the only ones we've had all season.

SuperZidane likes this.
  4. marty89

And Rogers biggest achievement at Celtic was ragdolling Pedro like a seal pup.

I'm sure young managers around the world will be watching and re watching those matches for decades to come.

> Asked his team to completely change the way of playing for one of the greatest victories in our club history
    > Doesn't do tactics

?

Why don't you ask fluorine cranberry what he thinks of Lennon for a better insight.

SwissCelt likes this.
  5. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    My worry is if they sack him or he walks before the summer, Kennedy will be in and made permanent in the summer.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

6. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    I don't believe it has to do with money. We could still suspend him till the end of the season and put Kennedy in place as a cheap caretaker. Wouldn't cost anymore apart from maybe a few grands. Wouldn't be popular among supporters too but lift a bit of pressure. But either the board are to afraid to burn Kennedy as well and they wanba keep him for the future or, and that's my guess, Desmond is a stubborn * and don't want to admit that the protesting fans were right. I think it’s a billionaires ego thing.

7. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Lads leave him alone, stop giving him a hard time, he knows the city.

JamesM09 likes this.
  8. Mr. Slippyfist

That’s a positive then, at least he knows the way out...

Keano88, Valhalla, johnboy19 and 6 others like this.
  9. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    You're right that that was the only way to get a result of Barca and I credit that to Lennon. It's actually the only thing I praise him for that he knew how to play against superior opposition. Lately he has lost that too and we're even worse against equal or inferior teams. That's why I think he's tactically unfit for a club like ours who plays mostly the second category of teams.

10. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Guy makes my skin crawl.

11. scootz

I’m not absolving Lenny of his share of the blame for this * of a season, but by Christ, plenty of our players have been embarrassingly honking!

I’m actually starting to wonder if they’ve always been poor and were just previously elevated by the 12th man!?

12. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

This fella could curl one out on the Celtic Way live on Sky, and still be favourite for job next year.

SteveyNico67 and Artorias like this.
  13. JamesM09

You know what, I’m starting to think he doesn’t know the city.

david100825 likes this.
  14. ddub11

Any links to last night press conference/interview?

* sitting with his feet up summed it up for me...a disgrace and terrible example to the rest of management.Also christy couldnt even hit the stand behind the goal never mind the goal its self,* terrible.

15. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Apart from the fact the rest of Scottish football is *, Celtic dont deserve to be taking the 2nd place spot in the CL qualifiers next season.
    Lennon has got a lot to answer for.

16. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    All the players that want out should sign pre contracts and Celtic should then know how much they have in next window then they can find replacements but Lennon should have no say on any new signings

17. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

You need to have six months or less left on your contract to sign a pre with someone else

18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Pity

19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    This whole "we won't win the league for years" is a bit OTT...

When we stopped their 10 they won the league the following season. There are similarities too. New manager needed, lots of player turnaround needed too.

We are not a basket case like some believe. Yes major changes needed. We have some brilliant players still at the club and the right manager and coaches with some good investment we will be fine..

Seasons done, the rebuild needs to start now.. First thing is to rid the cub of Lennon and his backroom staff ASAP

20. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    All true, get a decent manager and we’ll take the league back next season.