1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

Even with a year left on his deal there seems to be enough clubs interested in Eddy to at least get close to £20m. It has hit an all new low in reporting when Andy Walker gives his opinion and then it’s reported everywhere as fact.

Given the current market it might be made up in instalments rather than paid as a one but I would think you would be looking for at least £18m with add ons.

2. Onefootwonder

There is too much talking down of values. £15-20m doesn't buy that high a pedigree of striker. Edouard would be a bargain at that price. Given his development from being a £9m player it isn't good for us.

What is the current market like? Weeks ago we got £11.5m for Frimpong. I like Frimpong, but he needs a lot of work to develop. If we can command £11.5m for him I can't see us struggling for a little more for Edouard.

3. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    The bar in the SPFL hasn't exactly been all that high this season has it?

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I think we'll get a Dembele type price for him considering his contract situation..

A top player when at it and with so much potential. Done it in big game's and for every France age group..

PSG academy kid who we paid 9 mill for..

We should've been getting 30+ mill bids in but he's * about and no signed a new deal. 19-20 mill will be a snip for someone..

If it is Arsenal, they won a watch with KT so we'd be in a good place to get a good fee..

Round about 20 is fair with a sell on clause hopefully I think all thing's considered..

5. stew37

We've been fairly * as well though, before Turnbull came into the team the service was almost non existent. Reagrdless of the opposition his contribution has still been pretty significant.

HoopswithPride likes this.
  6. Gurru 991

The upcoming Summer transfer window is going to be very interesting indeed. Without gate receipts most clubs will not have a lot of cash to spend & I suspect they will be looking for bargains. English clubs will be thinking that they can pick Edouard on the cheap especially knowing his price drops even further after this window.

7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    To be honest going up to £20m is still not much, his overall pro record is 1 in every 2 games scoring 20 plus for 3 seasons running, Premier league clubs still have their TV and sponsorships so they will have some money to spend.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Gurru 991

Hopefully 2 or 3 clubs are serious about him & a bidding war develops.

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I would agree. I would think 20m is the minimum we would be looking for from selling Edouard this summer.

11. jambo_cfc

Seen he missed out on a potential move in the summer so probably why hes not been at himself , dont see the point in keeping a player who wnats to go elsewhere! Should have let him go and brought in toney and we would still have been a lot better of financially and would have had a real good replacement

12. limezer

No wonder he wants a move after the way we have been run recently, I would rather see us attract a manager and sign players that might make the place an exciting place to stay, NL chat is so negative the constant mention of players wanting away is to the detriment of our club.
    If we brought in a manager like” Rafa “ and signed some decent players maybe we could attempt to keep edouard. Instead we seem to just give up sell our best players keep mediocrity, it’s not ambitious it’s not forward thinking and we will get stuck in a rut.

13. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Said this before but why are people bothered about how much money we get in for him? It will make no difference to us as fans, the money is never reinvested properly in the team so why should we care?
    We sold KT for £25 million and replaced him with Boli and Greg Taylor. There’s roughly £20 million profit there that I’ve never seen the benefit of. 15, 20, 25 million, who gives a *? We’ll be losing a great player, that’s all that matters to me.

JC Anton and limezer like this.
  14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

The more we get then we may not need to sell another asset.

15. Foley1888

Although only £5-6m was spent on left back, we also brought in a £7m CB to replace one who left for nothing in Boyata. We signed two right backs to replace Lustig for £2m (Elhamed and Frimpong). We signed a holding midfielder for £2m Soro as our current one Brown will not generate a fee. We signed a striker who is meant to be part of our future for £3.5m. So we spent the best part of £20m not including any fees we spent on loans. We also spent £4.5m on a keeper as we loaned one last year to cap off nearly all the Tierney fee.

Given where we are we will never sell one left back and directly replace him with spending the full fee on that one player. If that was the case Tierney probably would have never left.

I agree we have spent around half that money poorly due to signing players who have underperformed or been injury prone such as Boli, Elhamed, Klimala and Taylor. However we did reinvest the bulk of that money. Also loans are mainly a waste for me as they mean any big sale in one season needs stretched further to cover more positions.

As has been mentioned in other posts without either Champions League or player sales we don’t actually have any money to buy players as our OPEX outstrips or at best matches our revenue with Europa last 32. That’s not including COVID.

For me I care how much we get as that will directly impact how much we spend on replacements and how many we get in. What we do need is to do better with our signings and our squad management so we don’t need to sign players for 5 positions in a season but say 2 players as that’s the only way we will spend more on a given position.

The way football is now we are very rarely going to be a young talented players end goal so we need to plan for that and sign wisely before selling for a profit.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  16. limezer

Your right we have signed players, I know we aren’t going to spend the £25m on a right back to replace Tierney, but we always sell players then scurry about for weeks afterwards to get players in. If we sell players for big money as soon as he’s out the door we should have his replacement walking in within days. Also 4m for Boli not great business when you have taken 25m should have committed to a more quality defender and we might not be in the shambles we are in.

17. Foley1888

As I said I think we have spent the money poorly and agree we take too long to bring in replacements.

Lustig was replaced 12-18 months too late, Brown is the same this season or at least an ample deputy before we gave Soro a go. Izzy being brought back in as a back up to Tierney was a joke someone with potential to fill the position long term should have been brought in then. Boyata was replaced at least 6 months to really 12 months too late so we missed out on £8-9m from Fulham. Dembele and Edouard in the 18/19 and this season CL qualifiers develop “injuries” while looking to push through a move contributing to us failing to qualify on both occasions.

However to suggest we don’t know where £15-20m of the Tierney money has gone is misleading.

Our transfer strategy or at least implementation of it is a shambles, we overuse our ageing players until they have nothing left, we rarely plan ahead in terms of future sales. With the likes of Dembele, Edouard and Ntcham if they do well we can only really expect two or three seasons max. If they do really well sometimes less. We all know this so the club need to be far better at operating in an appropriate way.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Hopefully he rattles in goals galore and his value soars again.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Can't say I agree. Sure, our recruitment at left back since Tierney left hasn't worked out but to say it hasn't being reinvested into the squad isn't true. The higher the fee we can get for any player, the better.

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We definitely could've spent more/wiser in the LB area but the KT fee was reinvested in part. 2018/19 season we made a £14m profit from player trading.

The annoying thing is we were interested in Romain Perraud of Paris FC and couldn't get the deal over the line. He's went to Brest and doing the business in Ligue 1. Now worth multiples of what they paid for him.

3 goals, 5 assists in 23 League games this season.

paulie walnuts likes this.