1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] St. Johnstone v Celtic, Scottish Premiership, Sun 14th Feb 2021,KO 12:00. Sky Sports.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Feb 11, 2021.

Discuss St. Johnstone v Celtic, Scottish Premiership, Sun 14th Feb 2021,KO 12:00. Sky Sports. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Check the one with the valentine cards and the chocolates in the tank that will be the female who’s giving it out unless there’s a few gay fish in the tank

Spring Time likes this.
  2. Ak1

Not convinced by the diamond midfield shape today, with or without the ball.

With the ball.
    It puts Rogic in a predominantly wide area, where essentially you need legs and lungs like bagpipes.
    Equally Christie often has the first touch of an elephant, and struggles in congested areas (hence his booking)

Switching them round makes more sense to me, and Christie assisted well for both goals from a wide position.

Without the ball
    We’re easy to switch play against, and that leaves our full backs, having to go out and press the ball, resulting in passes into channels, which today Ajer and Duffy get drawn out to.
    Ajer copes pretty well, but Duffy out wide is an accident waiting to happen.
    Their goal today came from our defence getting drawn across, resulting in Taylor getting exposed at the back post.

Convinced our victory today was in spite of the formation, rather than because of it.

3. JamesM09

Today’s game reminded me of classic Lennyball. It was like watching us back in 2010-2012. We got the result and had some nice moves at the goals but mostly it’s pish, unintelligent football relying on much better players.

It’s roughly what I would expect when a manager as poor as Lennon is in charge for this long.

Problem is that outside 2.5 years with Rodgers this is all the support has known, so it’s considered ‘good’ provided we get the 3 points.

There has to be a huge mentality shift in the support to demand top drawer football.

4. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Here’s what I took from the game today:

Edouard, Christie, Ajer and Rogic were standouts, and, along with Soro & Turnbull, should feature every week; Taylor continues to be frustrating as *....... apart from his work-rate, * delivery generally today (apart from when he set Eddy up for the second goal) and still can’t go by a man and passes backwards or sideways too much and looks like a lost wee underdeveloped boy most of the time; Jury’s still out on JJ Kenny; I liked the 4-2-3-1 formation today and think it generally suits us just now and think it suits Eddie until a suitable partner is found for him up front; Lennon looked really stressed and tired; Duffy remains a liability (though, admittedly, not as bad as he’s been in recent weeks); our second goal was a thing of beauty; Callum Davidson is a wee *’ gremlin.

5. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    During those years we were far better than the performance shown this season. I haven't seen the game today, but back then our strikers were deadly, the AMC (Commons) was at times even deadlier, and the midfield was like steel.

Gabriel likes this.
  6. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Totally agree re Lennon on today’s performance, but even in the 2.5 season with Brendan Rodgers and even in the invincible season a don’t particularly remember us going to places like paisley or Kilmarnock and winning convincingly with lovely football, as good as Rodgers was v a pish Huns team and others and we did play a lot of good football we also had quite a few poor awa
    agree with that re today’s game mate, but under Rodgers 2.5 years spell abouand even in in the invincible season we had our moments away from home tynecastle 5-0 st Johnstone 6-0 obviously Huns game where we Excellent but a lot of the time under Rodgers performance at away venues like paisley, Kilmarnock, tynecastle, Easter Road Motherwell, Dingwall Inverness, we didn’t play great football but usually grinded out a win by the odd goal , And were very similar to the performance today, difference then was we were always top of the league by usually a fairly decent margin so no one was scrutinising and we would just say “ it’s the sign of champions play poorly but still win

no stickin Up for Lennon guys been a nightmare this season but think people forget especially in our second season under Rodgers especially away from home it wasn’t all great football some really dire games

As a said Lennon has fked up big style but in isolation a lot of people saying last 3 away games “ aw we’re still *, performance s are still pish etc etc “

If we were top and put in they exact same 3 away performanceS in at ground s were we’ve struggled on scoring 10 conceding 1 , everyone on here would be raving at decent a performance it was, a know it’s far too little to late of course it is but because of how * off we are we are tuning in on every negative as opposed to if things were going well we’d be looking at positive s

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    In fairness the pitch was terrible today the ball bobbling all over the place making it very difficult to really get it down and pass with consistent pace and quality. All in all I thought todays game was pretty similar to the midweek game against St Mirren. The difference was St Johnstone didn't cave at any point but otherwise it was a very similar game. Mostly poor viewing, for which a large hand in was played by a dire pitch which is not all their fault given the weather with a few flashes of real quality thrown in by us which were enough to win the game.

Sydneysider likes this.
  8. SuperZidane

I think people (including myself tbh) are perhaps overly negative at times - given what we've all had to endure this season.

I don't think Lennon helps when he describes recent performances as "magnificent" and "top drawer" - really??

IMO, there is still an underlying worry the Desmond might try to use wins against teams in the bottom 6 as an excuse to keep Lennon. Hence, many people on this site don't want to hype these results or make them out to be better than they are.

For what it's worth - I believe that Lennon must go after this season if not before. He has done way way too much damage to change my opinion.

I despise Desmond - he should make it clear now if Lennon is staying or going at the end of the season. This silence is not fair on the fans and its not fair on Lennon either.

9. MAP

Agree. It was hard work watching today. Not convinced with that setup, or at least the players sitting in the positions (3 x 10's?).

I thought the left-side looked okay; at least Taylor got up and down the pitch. The right side though - Rogic is not one to get up and down much or with speed, and it looked like Kenny had no real intention of getting forward (although I thought he did so more in the second half).

10. JamesM09

Really I don’t think we were much better than yesterday’s performance. It may have been after 2012 season but I remember the season Commons was our top scorer in particular we were absolute dug * to watch.

I think Lennyball has always been * although it probably has gotten worse. Nostalgia means people remember the good moments and forget the week-in, week-out * Lennon served up.

There’s a reason virtually no-one wanted him back.

11. joemc

This exactly , toys went oot the pram a while back and there is no way of soothing no matter wot, which is fair play , people are entitled to thier opinions, we were poor against st Johnstone but got the result tbh , but if you look over the team of br the amount of goal threats and scorers in that team to now is massive .