1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Celtic Jonjoe Kenny!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Feb 1, 2021.

Discuss Welcome to Celtic Jonjoe Kenny! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Jonjoe Kenny has had little time to reflect on his move to Celtic, having made his debut just one day after signing, but the English defender already feels settled and is excited at the prospect of playing at Celtic Park for the first time this weekend.

Kenny made his debut against Kilmarnock on Tuesday after finalising his loan move from Everton the day before. It was a quick turnaround for the 23-year-old, but he hit the ground running with an impressive performance at Rugby Park, helping the Hoops to a 4-0 victory.

Kenny said jumping straight into the thick of it is exactly what he hoped for and added that the welcome from his new manager and team-mates has been instrumental in helping him settle into life as a Celt.

“It was a brilliant first few days, actually,” said Kenny. “It was good to arrive and just get straight into it. I had the chance to have a chat with the gaffer on the day I signed and he made me feel welcome. I did a training session right after that and then the Kilmarnock game was the following day. I was happy with jumping straight into things because that’s what I want to be doing.

“That quick turnaround really helped me settle in right away because I didn’t have time to think about things, it was all about the football and that’s what you want.

“I knew a couple of the boys already. I knew Greg, and Shane as well because he was at Everton when I was younger.

'The thing that helped me settle the most was the lads were brilliant with me.'

"When the lads make you feel so welcome like they did and you have that communication going on during the game, then it makes a huge difference.”

Now, he and his team-mates are preparing for the next challenge, which comes in the shape of Motherwell, who are the visitors to Celtic Park this Saturday.

The Hoops defender was delighted with the 4-0 win against Kilmarnock but he said he is under no illusions that every game will require Celtic to be at their best if they want to take all three points.

“There are a lot of good teams who’ll be difficult to beat, so I’m really looking forward to every game and working hard to get good results," he said. "No game is going to be easy but that’s football and that’s what you want when you walk out on to the pitch.

“It’s about taking each game as it comes and taking what we did in the Kilmarnock game and building on it. We worked hard, pressed and fought for the ball, and once we got the ball we were calm and collected. Having those two sides to the team makes you strong, and if we can show that every week the results will come.”

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Decent 1st game and looks like he’s a grafter

needs a song

DonnyCelt likes this.
  4. James Gold Member Gold Member

I genuinely wouldn't play him it's totally pointless and just harms us moving forward if there is no option to buy

NomDePlum likes this.
  5. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The better he plays the more annoying it will be if he is only here for what is now a done season.

James likes this.
  6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Do we have an option to buy him in the summer?

7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It wasn't part of the loan deal so no.

8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I didn't think so but wasn't sure. Pity. Assuming El Hemad is sold this summer we for sure need a right back.

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You don’t need an option to buy to try and buy someone. A deal can always be arranged.

Hammy89 and saltire78 like this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    True but not having one makes it harder and likely more expensive option. Also means it is an open market.

11. saltire78

Yes. We just call up Everton, ask them how much they want, match that sum (more or less may be an option!) and BOOM! He's ours...

Not * likely though, given our board and English transfer fees

12. saltire78

Sorry, hadn't seen this when I replied the same thing above

13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To be pedantic, this is the opposite of an option.

We have no option, only the right to buy at market or above price.

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Not all loans are going to be ones try and offload players like we have done with Bayo, Hendry, Shved and Bolingoli. We have to face that. Also with the amount of players we will need to be buying this summer I doubt we will be able to afford this guy anyway. I don't see us spending any more than £5m on a player this summer and I think we need a few players at that price level.

15. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I quite like what I've seen of him so far, albeit one game.

I don't get people saying there's no point playing him. Who else is there? Ralston will never make it here, El Hamed is for the exit door and if we play Ajer there, we have to play Duffy in the middle.

DonnyCelt and Westlondonscot like this.
  16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'd like to see some better quality crosses from him before I jump on this bandwagon. He was decent the other night, no more than that.

17. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Got no problem playing whoever makes us better from now until the seasons over. Still got second place to secure and its by no means a given.

18. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Needs to improve his passing, * poor.

Taylor was miles better and he got subbed.

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Yer talking *!

20. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He attacks in the exact same way as Taylor, stops & then passes backwards refusing to take on a man 1v1

NomDePlum likes this.