1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jj81

I'm into strength training mate and won't lie I've also out on a few kg due to this carryon , diet has been toughest for me.

Walking is just as good as running IMO I always do an incline walk, mostly hillwalking as I hate a treadmill with 1 view or a telly.

Days you don't train try a high fat and protein diet , then on days you train high carb and protein, this works for me so might not for all but it's tried and tested.

Can you squat or knees too bad?if not a deadlift would be good. Try get in compounds then isolation work.

Something I'm gonna do is get back to swimming when possible a few times a week.

So many answers tbh

You can get a good homework with a Kettlebell, pull up bar , light dumbells and do circuits too.

2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Squats are also out. I'm supposed to be getting a complete knee replacement. I would like to give swimming a try (when it's allowed) but I also used to like FT training as it really got rid of the lbs and stomach fat. It's just so hard to do anything during this covid crisis and its also hard to motivate yourself to do any type of worthwhile exercise indoors. Can you also advise me on any supplements that would help as I haven't a clue about stuff like whey protein etc and are they worth taking?

3. jj81

Ah man hope all goes well with knee replacement , only supps I take are vitamin D , vit C , omega 3 fish oil ( cheap and good for joints , healthy fats ) , and whey protein , website called my protein you can get a bag of impact whey for about 30 quid will last a month.

I also take turmeric capsules

4. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Cheers M8. You obviously know your stuff. I think seeing all these people dying of Covid makes me want to give myself a boot up the * to get my act together to try to improve my health and value life a bit more.

jj81 likes this.
  5. jj81

Same here mate, hard as you say to be motivated but getting there again.

Just ease yourself back in and you'll be fine mate

Wee Baldy likes this.
  6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Put my introduction to fitness in another thread... oops. Heres my 1 month update.

Nearing 1 month in and #fatbastard has lost 12lb. Should be a full stone by Friday weigh day. Only about another 3 stone+ to go :56: :56:

Now benching 80kg 10 times no issues so waiting on new plates arriving this week. Trying to max out at 5-8 reps.

Iv gained easily 6 inches on my vertical so far. Once I'm another stone down I'm getting a weight vest for the plyo training and walk about with it all day, apparently helps you increase vertical. Need to wear a jacket obviously or ill look like a right *.

Still having a Friday takeaway because iv got to live still :56: apart from that just been keeping healthy and low fat. When I'm down 2/3stone more ill hit the old keto diet iv used before to drop water and maybe see the old mysterious abb thats not been seen since I was about 12 :56: by then ill surely be allowed a holiday to get fat again :56:

Still never found the other thread so I'm firing my updates here for myself :56:

7. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Well done m8. 12 lb in a month is excellent as I've only lost 5lb in the same time period. I started a diet on the 3rd January as I couldn't fit into any of my trousers and generally felt fecked. I'm not telling a lie and saying it's not been hard as I love my food. I'm also trying to do some exercises in the house which everyone knows is hard due to distractions. Would love to do a bit of walking but my knees are gubbed due to playing to much football . I also have a wee break from the rabbit food on a Friday but can't wait till my favourite Indian curry house opens when we come out of lockdown. Oh, and more chance of NL resigning than me seeing one of those mysterious abs you talk about:56:

honda likes this.
  8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Another week another weigh day. Ended up down another 4lb this week. May need to up the amount of food I eat although I don't ever feel hungry, but I did do alot more exercise than usual. Meh ill take the win and enjoy the Indian takeaway tonight mmmmmm best day of the week, extra mixed pakora coming this way.

10. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Are secretly chopping off body parts? Naw, seriously, well done m8. I am still struggling but sticking with it as I have noticed a bit of a difference to the wee chubby belly.

11. TimFloyd Gold Member

Finally getting back into it... January was a * show, always is for me.

Was lean as * November then by the end of January was well over my usual walk around weight.

Been hitting the gym twice a day this week with my time off in a bid to get back into the proper routine.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I started at 19 stone 7, its probably easier to loose weight when your 6ft6 and 19 stone :56: anyway a couple weeks and I'm hoping to be below 18 my usual weight :56:

13. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Bit of an aside here, but I've been doing the Wim Hof cold showers since New Year. Started off with just 10 seconds and that was hard enough. I'm now doing around 2 and a half minutes no bother at the end of my normal shower. And the water right now is * BALTIC.

Noticed a huge difference in DOMS, definitely helps muscle recovery. More alert, clearer head and just feels good.

As for my eating and working out, firmly on track with this these days. Lost 2 stone of * and floating around where I want to be now at around 200 llbs. Chuffed as *.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I was hitting 4 k before new year on my usual weekly runs and starting to get there in 19 minute's or just after..

Takeaways, few bevvies and what not and * me it's hard to get back in the swing of it..

Been struggling to do my 4k's and so done 2 and a half Friday and yesterday and felt burst. Proper slogs of pain haha..

Been doing long walks for hour's just in from another hour or so there again and been doing my 10 thousand minimum steps but more this week in general. Closer to 15's..

Doing a wee workout every morning soon as I wake up press ups minimum 50 in one go, 80 sit ups in one go and 100 bicycle crunch thingys 100 in one go just to ease back in here. Then I'll start doing some set's. No got weights or anything indoors, I go to the apparatus in the park but no when it's muddy..

Getting there and feel the benefits already as I've no ballooned or anything just more unhealthy for a month or 2..

honda and Marty McFly like this.
  15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Another Friday another weigh day. Only lost 1lb although was flickering between 1 and 2 until the * settled on one :56: although since been to the toilet so I presume its 2lb this week :fear: i was an extra * last weekend though and instead of the Indian ended up with an xxxl papa John's and then I was so late back Saturday a naughty Chinese :56:

This weekend won't be much better with valentines day, got us those silly sized cowboy steaks... but ill squeeze an extra gym session in this week to attempt to compensate, along with an absoloute destroyer on Sunday so the steak can fly straight into those */soon2bepecs

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Was dreading this weigh day after the entire cow dinner i had Saturday followed by the half a birthday cake shared that was sent down on Sunday :56: so hit the garage gym harder than usual.

Anyway, another week later and down another 2lb.

1 stone 5lb down and another 2.5 stone to go (estimated abb weight :56:) and still fully motivated, diets actually get easier as time goes by. I don't crave a thing, although do have my Indian and got the new extra extra hot cheese pringles to try this weekend. Wooo.

Started a new weighted jump program for my vertical leap training. Poor plyo box hasn't broke yet :56: but its gave me a noticeable small increase within one week. A dunking is coming!

charlietully and Boruc17 like this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Weigh day 7. Another good result down 2lb. Thats me finally hit my pre lockdown usual weight + a good chunk of muscle, so personally feel i look thinner than that I did when I weighed this before.

I know you've not meant to be able to gain, but my arms, chest and even calfs all have noticeable size gains. I suppose it helps when I got big in the past when I had plenty spare time at uni :56: so they seem to have came back quick.

Up to 9 reps at 90kg on the bench aswel so maxed out on the weights I own and need to order more.

Starting weight 19.7.... oooft. Genuinly never believed I could get so heavy.

Current 18 dead. Looking at another 8 weeks to be below 17 and thats when I start to look really lean just in time for T-shirt weather. Looking to finally enjoy T-shirt season this year :56:

PaddyBhoy likes this.
  18. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    2 weeks in to the healthy diet for me. Been very strict. Down from 13st4 to 12st12. Feeling a lot better for it. Been off the beers too which is definitely helping with the calorie deficit :56:

Peej and honda like this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Really miss the gym, always have better motivation when I'm in there. Mainly been doing runs outside and bodyweight exercises.

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Nice! Lighter you are the harder it is so that's a good amount. Thin for summer crew!

PaddyBhoy likes this.