1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheWolf Waiting on the next Full Moon

Couple of self righteous * who think that they are somehow Celtic saviours when in fact they've * up arguably the most important season in our history not too mention in fooling/lying to us to boost club income that he (Lawell) was serious about our ambitions in Europe. One just another corporate * * wanting to make millions whatever it takes, (his football team was convenient), the other is a * clown at football management. Both of them are odious * and their self slavering pish over each other is nauseous.

2. SuperZidane

Absolutely - Lawwell is an extremely competent financial CEO (I don't think Arsenal picked his name out of a hat when they approached him a few years back). He has negotiated some very lucrative deals for the club over the years.

The problem is that he thinks he's a football man and has stuck his nose in and ****ed up quite a few things.

IMO Desmond is as much to blame because, as long as Celtic were making money, he turned a blind eye and let Lawwell do what he wanted.

Lennon also - that BS about having their differences - Lennon only got the job because he know he'd be beholden to Lawwell.

I think he should have gone some time ago - I don't detest him but I can see why people do.

Artorias and Morcombe like this.
  3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    100% agree. If Lawwell got WGS a forward they would have died quicker.

Artorias, NomDePlum and Morcombe like this.
  4. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Peter Lawwell has been a fantastic servant and success to Celtic. He has given us some of the best times in our living memory.

He failed us in the most important season in our history, when balls to the wall was required.

Everything we had should have been on the table.

20+ years will mean nothing when he let us down this season.

Thank you for your service, but you failed at the last hurdle, and that wins you nothing.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL Lennon last night paid a glowing tribute to Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell and predicted the “shrewd manipulator” will be headhunted by major clubs across Europe after he stands down this summer.

The Parkhead club announced yesterday morning that Lawwell will retire from the role he has held since 2003 in June and be succeeded by Scottish Rugby chief operating officer Dominic McKay.

Lawwell has come under intense pressure from supporters this season and was forced to issue a public apology this month after a trip to Dubai, undertaken amid the escalating Covid-19 crisis, left the majority of the first team squad in quarantine.

However, Lennon revealed that he had decided to move on last year and the turbulent 2020/21 campaign – which has seen the Scottish champions, who are bidding to complete 10-In-A-Row, fall 23 points behind Rangers - has had no bearing on his departure.

It's been in the offing for quite a while,” he said. "We talked about it maybe 12 months ago and I know Peter spoke to Dermot (principal shareholder Desmond) about it on numerous occasions.

Regardless of whether we win the league or don't, Peter was going to make that transition at the end of the season.”

Lennon, who has been appointed Celtic manager twice by Lawwell, hailed the work carried out by the Parkhead chief executive in the past two decades and expressed confidence he will receive alternative offers when he departs due to his reputation across Europe.

He's done a magnificent job,” he said. "It's one of the most high-pressured jobs in British football and for me, Peter is one of the best CEOs around.

"He's been a huge, positive influence on many people at the club and has delivered unprecedented success, with the backing of the board and Dermot. It has been a very powerful team.

"I am sad to see Peter go. We know when he's leaving now and we wish Dominic the very best in coming in. He has big shoes to fill but will get all the support he needs from everyone at the club.”

Lennon added: "Peter is very shrewd. He's forward-thinking and has a strong personality. He is a real tough negotiator at times when it comes to contracts and dealing with agents and other clubs.

"He's also fought many battles on behalf of the club, which he won a lot. I thought it was brilliant the way Peter did that. He was really shrewd manipulator and he knew how to play the game. He learned that with the vast experience he gathered over the course of his 17 years at the club.

“I just admired his fortitude and his intelligence, really. He's been a huge influence on the club in a positive way.

“He will be not short of offers, whether it be in football or in business. He has gained a fantastic reputation, even on the European scene, dealing with big clubs in the European Clubs’ Association. He did some great work for the profile of the club within that.”

NEIL Lennon has admitted that he expects to meet Dominic McKay, who will take over from Peter Lawwell as Celtic chief executive in June, in the coming weeks to hear his plans for the future.

However, Lennon believes that McKay, who is currently the chief operating officer at Scottish Rugby, will have little difficulty settling into his new position at the Parkhead club.

He expects that Lawwell, who is set to stand down in the summer after nearly 18 years in the high-profile role, will also help to ensure a seamless transition of power.

I only became aware of Dominic coming in this morning,” he said. "He's worked in sport at a high level and is highly-regarded by the board.

I am sure Peter has had a hand in his successor coming in and I am sure he will be on call for Dominic if and when Dominic needs him. He will get the full support of everyone here at the club, whether it be on the football side or the administration side.

“It is three or four months before Peter leaves, but already the progression and succession has been put in place. That is the forward thinking that people have at the club.

“I don’t know what Dominic will do between now and the time he joins the club, but we may have discussions going forward. I would imagine we would.”

Lennon, whose has come under intense pressure this season as Celtic’s bid to make Scottish football history and complete 10-In-A-Row has foundered, believes that Lawwell will leave a lasting legacy at Parkhead.

"We have a fantastic training ground and then you look around the stadium and the Celtic Way,” he said. “It's beautiful and a lot of investment has gone into that.

"Then you have the on-field successes - three last 16s in the Champions League, Lazio, Barcelona, Man United win

Look at the players we have brought in. (Virgil) Van Dijk, (Victor) Wanyama, (Fraser) Forster, (Moussa) Dembele, (Kieran) Tierney, (Callum) McGregor, (James) Forrest, (Scott) Brown - they have all been under his watch.

“That's a magnificent achievement, plus the 13 league titles and a quadruple treble. It's unprecedented really."

Lennon believes the long-standing Celtic chief executive’s ruthlessness during transfer negotiations has enabled the Glasgow club to make multi-million pound profits on signings.

“I think he understood the market very well,” he said. “He understood what the competition was like whether it be domestically or in Europe

I wouldn’t say we have a salary cap, but he had to work within the way the wage budget was set. He has been pretty successful at it to be fair. He has definitely done well.”

Lennon was appointed Celtic manager by Lawwell twice – first back in 2010 when he replaced Tony Mowbray and then in 2019 when he took over from Brendan Rodgers.

The Northern Irishman admitted he will be sad to see the Scot depart at the end of the 2020/21 campaign.

"There was always that professional boundary, but on a personal level we always got on well, as we both love the club and want the best for it in every decision that was made,” he said.

“Peter goes with my best wishes. We have become close. We have a good working relationship and we have also become friends.”

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  6. SuperZidane

I would like to see us go down the DOF route but the most important thing is that the new CEO stays OUT of football matters.

That was the issue with Lawwell - he was allowed by DD (and Lennon) to interfere in football matters. When he did with with Rodgers - that was the beginning of the end.

I really hope this new guy is very competent at the financial side of things but knows his boundaries on the football management side of things.

Also that we appoint a DOF or decent manager with the backbone to tell the CEO to stay out of things when required.

JC Anton likes this.
  7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Where did I say that? I never so please stop talking utter mince.

Facts are we won the league for so many years without a main rival. That’s just facts.

Another fact when we got a great coach like Rodgers in we looked light years ahead but Lawwell once again penny pinched and * it up. Like he did in WGS final season.

Onto this season. I mean * * I don’t think I need to explain anything.

Year after year failing to prepare for the champions route for champions league qualifying......

He made the shareholders and the board money but him and DD fell asleep at the wheel and now they have * the 10.

The money he has been paid has been scandalous. A * parasite and I’m glad he is gone.

murphy88 and Morcombe like this.
  8. freitassen

I hope there is a * for this parasite to burn at it.

Don't think a hun CEO maliciously trying to sabotage the club would do much worse than him

Leone Naka Fan and blackfish like this.
  9. SuperZidane

Indeed. Most PLCs announce senior management changes in advance and also name replacements to keep the shareholders happy.

I suspect that Lawwell's departure was decided a while ago and that they didn't announce it at the AGM as they had either not identified the new guy or had not yet reached an agreement with him.

littlekennie likes this.
  10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Cheers Neil. You're a * anol.

thailandceltic likes this.
  11. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What we need is someone in place that wont take * from the SFA hun scum and will stick the boot into the bigots as well as sorting out our club.

12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This isn't the problem at all. Paranoia doesn't help when the problem is you are * on your own doorstep.

13. oh bhoy

hes a shrewd manipulator alright ,he managed to convince vast swathes of the support that constantly selling our best players is a good thing all because he failed to get the value our tv rights deserve.as for the battles he fought ,he let the sfa and rangers cheat them out of a champions league place and did nothing,he did nothing when rangers were found to be cheating for years with ebt's when titles should have been stripped.he never made a peep when sevco pretended to be rangers and we would all love to know whats in the 5 way agreement.acceptance of blatant cheating of refs for all his battling he did * all on the things that count

TheWolf and Drakhan like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SCOTT BROWN reckons outgoing Celtic supremo Peter Lawwell deserves a STATUE outside Parkhead.

The Hoops chief executive will retire in June after over 17 years at the club which brought an amazing 29 trophies.

Lawwell, 61, has come under fire from Celts fans during a turbulent season.

But skipper Brown hailed his record and said: “To be fair, Peter should have a statue at this rate.

“His legacy is huge. He’s been a driving force at this club over 17 years and he’s made us the club we are.

“Peter’s always wanted the best for Celtic. He loves the club more than anyone.

He’s won 29 trophies in his 17 years here, which is incredible for anyone to have on their CV when they retire.

“He’s won nine in a row, won quadruple Trebles. People should remember him for how well he’s done over 17 years.

“If you look at how well he’s done, the players he’s brought in, how well the club is sitting after all these years.

"Compare that to what we were maybe 17 or 18 years ago, when he first came in, to where we are now.

He’s built Lennoxtown, he’s improved Celtic Park, he’s always trying to make the club better. That’s what a good CEO does.

“He’s kept digging at people’s heels to make every single thing at Lennoxtown or Celtic Park better.

"He drives us on and wants us to be the best we possibly can. That comes from within him.

“It’s just sad to see him go after all he’s done for me and the rest of the lads.

This club is his life. He’s here day in day out and loved every single moment of it.”

15. truedub1916

I think now Peter Lawwell has announced he is leaving. And the obvious thought that Lennon will also leave with him (if not before)

Surly now it’s time for us Celtic fans to start changing the false narrative that is being hammered home

Reading anything or listening to sky sports or the radio would have you believe Rangers are Real Madrid,and we are Accrington Stanley

We have just won the Quadruple Treble. They have won

NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, ZERO !!!!

This season is a total freak. No fans, covid it’s bonkers. But we are taking all the pressure off them by attacking our club and letting them get away with being serial losers

The quadruple treble

Our ground is Far superior, our training complex state of the art. Everything about us is superior. Everything!

Now we have got the change we want

Let get back to putting these Zombies back in their box

16. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

We were in a European final the season before he came in Scott mate...

These * actually think we’re stupit.

17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Love the enthusiasm, but mate, this all has * all to do with them.
    It could be Aberdeen, Hibs, Huns, Dundee United in front, it doesn't matter.
    We have our own issues to deal with and as welcome as that news yesterday is, today nothing has changed.
    Lennon's still in charge, the players have still downed tools for him, lawwell is still in his position regardless till end of season.

The board/club have made this announcement to take some heat off them, that is all.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

18. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Have a point fact is other teams were at fault for that aswell current tv deal is same as the one we received from setanta before it went bust sky at the time has similar deal and we knocked it back and they have been playing funny buggers since the way the current deal works is it increases each year ... basically sky saying stick with us and in the fifth season deal will be double the amount it is now 160 million over five season but something like 60 mill is left for last season on the deal .... I take from that if we get to end of that deal we will be negotiating 60 million a season when the time comes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Lennon's and Brown's tongues must be pretty brown...

TheWolf likes this.
  20. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Private joke mate.

Bernie Bhoy likes this.